“Lacklustre Food, Rushed Service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Reservations, Seating
Canberra
“Lacklustre Food, Rushed Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

There were 8 in our group and we ordered the number 1 banquet on a Saturday night. The meal was served up very quickly but I found the food to be pretty ordinary, as did others in our group.

We’ve been to Fekerte's several times over the years and I think the quality of the food has steadily declined. The restaurant was only half full and it seemed the waitress was trying to give us the hint to move on by trying to take away unfinished wine glasses. We did not find the service friendly and the owner was glaring at us.

Maybe it was an off night but we will not be going back again.

• Visited January 2013

Canberra
“Delicious and healthy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Fekerte's is one of my favourite restaurants in Canberra. The food is always absolutely delicious without fail and the flavours are something different to the usual restaurant fare. The platters to share are probably your best bet - I think they are around $30 per person and you get to try lots of different dishes. My top 3 favourites would have to be the doro wat (spicy chicken curry), pumpkin wat (spicy pumpkin curry) and the vegetable alicha (mild vege curry).

The owner/front of house can come across pretty grumpy at first, but it's become a bit of a game for us to see if we can break him - it can be done and his smile and charm are rewarding if you succeed!

Not the cheapest dinner in town, but well worth it! (By the way, they also do takeaway.)

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lola_sharp
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“One dimensional wonder”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have been to Fekertes several times, though lately I regret each visit. While I enjoy the food, and have been willing to accept the disproportionately high bill, my hopes for an improved experience continue to be dashed. My first impressions were of tasty, interesting food, while the ambience, price and service were lacklustre. A friend who used to work there describes the owner as 'eccentric', which I agreed with the first time around.

My opinion lowered when I once made a booking for four people, and at the last minute had an extra person come along. Upon arrival, I politely explained the change and apologised. While I half expected to have to find another place to eat, given the patronage and the cramped layout, I didn't expect that the owner would fly into a rage and yell at me. Needless to say we went elsewhere (we weren't given much choice). Staff at another busy restaurant nearby went to the effort to find us a table and we left satisfied.

I gave Fekerte's another try more recently. I am not sure if the owner remembers my face, but we spent the whole meal being glared at. Perhaps it is not just me, as other reviews repeat these observations.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Maitland, Australia
“Wonderful food, but we felt rushed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was our second visit to fekertes, the first was some years back. The shared platter for two is wonderful, with lots of different flavours and textures. Its certainly big enough for two.
We enjoyed the food just as much as we did a few years back. We had a booking for 6.30 on a Friday night. The place was packed (a good sign), but the service was still swift, possibly a little too swift. We certainly got the impression that they know they can get another sitting at the table so when you have finished get out! In our case that evening we didn't want to hang around anyway, so my rating is still high, but had we wanted to just to relax a little longer I would have found this service annoying.

• Visited September 2012
Canberra, Australia
“very poor customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

we had a booking for 6:30 on a friday night and as we enjoy starters more over the mains we opted for 6 starters, however only to be told 'on a friday night we can't have just starters and have to order a mains as well'. After confirming with the waitor he wasn't joking and attempting to convince him otherwise did we leave, we won't ever be returning.

The owner is devoid of any charisma and constantly glares at you whilst eating, the waitors attitude stem from indifference to rudeness and the mains are really not that special at all. For the price you pay it really is a bad experience.

That being said the only saving grace is the broadbean dip, that is superb. A better ethiopian experience is global cafe next to the coach interchange, friendly, welcoming and nice food.

• Visited September 2012