“Elegant but a bit pokey”

Peppers Gallery Hotel
Ranked #16 of 59 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Beautifully decorated, the hotel is a real showpiece, but although it is elegant and tasteful, rooms are not big and modern facilities are limited. Good for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank shaunanthony
GM_CBR, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2010

Dear shaunanthony,

Thank you for your recent feedback.

We have a range of room types available at the hotel all suited for different occasions and travellers.

We are more than happy to help advise the best suited room type for special occasions to overnight corporate travel.

All our rooms have state of the art ‘Bang and Olfuson’ TVS, iPod connections and broadband internet. The interior design was completed by SJB interiors with rain shower walk in bathrooms and Australian made and owned ‘Romy’ amenities; with each room also showcasing individual artworks from private collection.

Again we thank you for your feedback.

Maurits de Graeff

Write a ReviewReviews (1,686)

Reviewed November 24, 2010

If this hotel rated it self as a 3.5 or 4 star hotel I wouldn't have a problem, however it has the cheek to rate it self as a 5 star hotel which is ridiculous compared with other Australian 5 star hotels. The check-in was quick & efficient which was great as our flight arrived into Canberra late, they had no available parking so we had to park three blocks away & walk back to the hotel. The hallway to our room reminded me of a movie scene of entering a brothel with it's mirrors & neon tubes stuck to the walls. The our premier room was small but decent enough & the huge bath was awesome. The mini bar was completely empty except for a half used bottle of soda obviously left behind by the last guests. No 24hr room service like other 5 star hotels & the staff were efficient but seemed tired. Definitely not worth the price & an embarrassment for Canberra

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rhi76
GM_CBR, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2010

Dear Rhi76,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

The 8Hotels boutique collection offers a unique twist in interior design, comfort and affordability. We understand that our décor may not be to everyone’s liking, although our hotel offers something different for our guests in Canberra and were very proud to be a recent winner of ‘Excellence in Visitor Experience’ by the Canberra and Capital Region Tourism Industry.

We have also recently opened a new restaurant called ‘Bicicletta’ which has light meal options for our guest available from 10 pm to 5 am for the peckish.

We do certainly apologise for the minibar being empty in your room and have informed Housekeeping of this incident to ensure procedures are put in place to avoid this in the future.

Thank you for your feedback, as it all helps improve the guest experience at the hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 20, 2010

A hotel in it's most basic function is to provide a good night sleep. This hotel does not.
1. The bathroom door is glass and let's the light flood in to the room from 5am. I was in 2 rooms and woke up early both days in both rooms.
2.very noisy hotel Being an old hotel the floors creak. The noise from upstairs and the corridor can be heard all night. We started with a top category room at the front of the hotel. This was a mistake as you coul hear cars all night. The windows are an old style double hung single glazed unit that let's the noise in.

Apart from the lack of sleep, the hotel is gorgeous, the staff are good and full of character . If you are a heavy sleeper, stay here but if your light, forget it!

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank Abcdefman

Dear Abcdefman,

Thank you so much for leaving your feedback.

We are in the process of finishing the instalment of blackout curtains in all bathrooms as to avoid light flooding into our guest’s room. We apologise for any interruption caused during your stay due to this issue. For light sleepers we do have amenities in our rooms that will help block out any noise for guests that are disrupted during their stay.

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and its staff, I will be sure to pass it on to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed November 11, 2010

We spent two nights here while attending meetings at ANU, and if location was the only consideration the Hotel would have scored very highly as it was only a brief walk onto the Campus. Unfortunately the Diamant was a letdown in almost every other way. The hallways are a narrow maze of poorly lit , poorly signposted , wandering corridors - evidence of the building's past as a hostel but a difficult challenge to navigate especially wth heavy suitcases. The reception staff were generally abrupt to the point of rudeness, and tended to argue with the clients(much of this overheard whil sitting in the reception area). We called the desk to report that the message function on our phone was not working - and they more or less responded by saying it was our caller's fault.
The room we had was depressing and gloomy. The walls were dark grey, and it was like entering a cave. The Shower stall collected water and the toilet leaked. The mirror was positioned so far from the vanity that shaving became difficult. Tea/sugar supplies were not replenished after the 1st night. The continental breakfast was poor - limited choice and variety (but on a positive note it was staffed by a man who was the only gracious staff member encountered) The bed was comfortable but the decor dreadful. We avoided spending any time in the room. A friendlier and more positive staff would have made a difference - they gave the appearance of being too busy too be bothered. Hotel felt very "try-hard" and seemed to have been designed without regard for function - and from a very dark colour selection.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank Brettb

Dear Brettb,

We are deeply apologetic for the service which you received. Although our latest exciting expansion of hotel operations has left the staff very busy in recent weeks, we certainly understand that this offers no excuse for unsatisfactory customer service, especially at the Diamant where we pride ourselves on maintaining a friendly yet professional team of staff.

We have already made several changes to address this issue, including the commencement of an afternoon Concierge service for the benefit of our guests.

The hotels’ layout and design is something special and different for the Canberra market and we understand completely that it will not be to everyone’s liking. 8Hotels in collaboration with the Molonglo Group and SJB Interiors have worked very hard to design a unique experience in Canberra, and we see our special boutique hotel as very ‘individual’.

Finally, we are pleased to announce the much anticipated opening of our new Italian restaurant Bicicletta, which will be serving meals and light snacks throughout the day (including a delicious hot breakfast for those wishing to indulge!)

Maurits de Graeff

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback.

Reviewed November 8, 2010

We have always stayed at the Hyatt when visiting Canberra, but thought we would try the Diamant as it promoted itself as another 5 star alternative. Wrong decision!

We arrived to find the hotel on an island surrounded by extensive construction works. For this reason alone I would not recommend it.There was no parking available outside and heavy handed signs warned of parking at the entrance. It then became clear that there was no one to assist with our luggage, so my husband circled the block while I checked in.

The welcome was less than welcoming as the receptionist looked up at me and barked "Room number?" Having just arrived and not being a mind reader, I didn't know. It seems she thought I was checking out rather than checking in, but in any event it was not a good start. That was followed by discovering that the advertised breakfast that came with our package was in fact a continental breakfast. She then proceeded to argue the point of difference.

We were advised to park under the office block next door which we did. We then spent the next 10 minutes trying to find our way back to the hotel lobby carting our luggage with us. Finally we found a hotel employee who opened a back door and let us in.

The hallways are a rabbit warren of design, dark and gloomy as was the room itself. The bathroom was nice, but the room itself was small. The bizarre choice of wallpaper on the ceiling is best described as "interesting" .

We would not stay here again - it was a big disappointment. It's back to the Hyatt for us where a slightly higher room rate gives you a dramatically higher standard of accommodation and service.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank n0maDz
GM_CBR, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2010

Dear n0maDz,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback

We were very saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your recent visit to the hotel.

The Diamant has always prided itself on its superior customer service and we will continue to make every endeavour to further improve the standard of service we offer our guests.

We have already commenced many changes such as an afternoon concierge service where our friendly porters will be available to carry luggage and show guests to their rooms.

Guests are also more than welcome to temporarily park out the front of the hotel whilst they check-in and get settled into their rooms. Signage is in place to avoid congestion at the hotel entrance.

Once again, we are sorry to hear that you didn’t have a pleasant stay with us but do hope to welcoming you back sometime in the future.

Reviewed November 5, 2010

I visited Canberra on a business trip recently for 2 nights, as part of a group booking (although we were all paying our own way). My overall impression of the hotel is mixed - it's trying hard to provide a good service, but failing on some crucial points. The lobby is quite a pleasant space - it's trying for a New York kind of feel, which is OK, but it's not 100% successful.
When I checked in, I was given a room which wasn't impressive at all - the room smelled kind of funky (as in a bit sweaty), and there were marks or stains of some kind on the marble-topped desk. It also overlooked the rear courtyard, which is part of the bar, and I was concerned that it might be noisy later. I therefore asked at reception if I could move room. The person I spoke to (called Mudit) said initially that the courtyard was very quiet at all times. I said that I was part of a large party that probably would be using the bar area and so it might well get noisy. He said that he didn't want to move me to the side of the hotel that overlooked the construction site - fair enough, that sounded very considerate. Instead he moved me to a room that was on the ground floor, just off the lobby. I inspected the room: it seemed to be in a quiet spot, and there was no funky smell and no stains on the desk!
Later that evening, upon returning to the hotel, I discovered that there was an after-party taking place in the lobby and the bar area. There was a DJ set up, and a couple of hundred people there. The noise was considerable. My room, was right next door to all if this. I cannot understand why the staff member would put me in a room next to an official hotel function, after he actually said to me 'are you a light sleeper?' and I said yes. The loud music continued until 1am; after there I was able to get some sleep, but I was extremely unhappy with the way I had been treated.
The next morning I spoke to the person at the front desk, because I was prepared to check out rather than deal with another night of noise. She said she could not understand why I was put in that room after I had requested a quiet room. She informed me that no functions would be taking place in the lobby that night, and so I agreed to stay the second night, which was fine in terms of noise.
In other respects, there are good and bad things about the hotel. I ordered food from room service in the evening; it was a bit pricey (pretty standard pricing for a hotel though) but very nice. The staff were also extremely helpful on the phone when my chosen dish wasn't available; they suggested others. I couldn't see any info about breakfast, however, and instead went to a cafe next door, Urban Food, which was good.
The room I stayed in was a Premier room; quite spacious, well-equipped (though some functioning wi-fi in the rooms would be appreciated; it's extraordinary in a hotel of this standard to have to go and sit in the lobby to check email!). There is a data point to plug in a cable for your laptop; but that's only helpful if you have brought a cable! Design is OK, again a bit try-hard. It's a real mish-mash of patterns (zigzags, paisleys etc). The corridors, as others have noted, are pretty dark, and the dark carpet looked very grubby both days I was there. It wouldn't hurt to vacuum it each day. The layout is also pretty confusing!
So overall, mixed. Is my view affected by the fact that someone stuffed up so badly on the room/noise issue? Absolutely - the lack of sleep meant that I felt wrecked the next day, which is not good when you are on a business trip.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank scot_in_oz
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Stayed here 2 nights in a premier room. First room I was given I couldn't hear myself think over the loud construction work going on outside, luckily enough I was able to get moved to a quieter room. Rooms are nice, hallways arent so nice, very dark and confusing. One of the better places I've stayed in Canberra. Not the best location

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank teegs64
GM_CBR, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2010

Dear Tcurby,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We do certainly apologise for the construction noise. The entire NewActon area is currently undertaking an exciting redevelopment stage to complement the existing heritage listed NewActon Pavilion in which we are situated. Although this is beyond our control, we certainly understand the inconvenience this may cause some of our guests and have since been in contact with construction management about the issue.

We will always do our upmost to ensure that our guests have a pleasant stay and are more than happy to move guests where possible.

Again, we apologise for the ‘confusing’ nature of the hotel. In designing the hotel, we aimed to combine the heritage feel of the existing building with a modern decor in an effort to develop a unique experience for our guests. Our friendly receptionists and porters will always be more than happy to show our guests to their rooms.

Thank you again for taking to time to give your feedback and hope to see you back in Canberra soon.