“Overall pleasant, but a few issues”
Review of Pod Food

Pod Food
Ranked #35 of 1,392 Restaurants in Canberra
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled in a unique position amongst the beautiful established gardens of Pialligo plant farm, the quaint character filled, fully restored 1930's cottage offers a unique dining location close to the Canberra CBD. The venue is only minutes from Canberra International Airport as well as the boutique shopping precincts of Kingston and Manuka and has ample parking. Owner and chef John Leverink leads a dynamic, creative kitchen and restaurant team to create a memorable dining experience for all occasions. Creative culinary fine food without the formality, local sourced produce and an award winning wine list come together to make Pod Food one of Canberra's hidden culinary gems.
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We hadn't been to Pod Food for a few years, but recently met friends there for Sunday breakfast.

The most special thing about this place is the location - it's a beautiful setting in the Pialligo Plant Farm. We were also impressed with the manner of the staff - knowledgeable and friendly, and they seemed experienced.

The food on offer was varied and interesting, however it was surprising that at 10:00am on Sunday they had already run out of mushrooms so one of the dishes was not available (a shame as my partner's favourite breakfast food is mushrooms).

There were three different dishes ordered by our party of four - all were nicely presented and well cooked but, for the price, I (like many other reviewers) have a slight issue with the portion sizes. A nice thick slice of toasted bread had two small eggs on it but the smoked trout - which was the 'star' of the dish - was truly tiny and full of bones. The menu described the dish as coming with beetroot (two tiny dabs of pureed beetroot, about the size of a 20-cent piece), onion (about a tablespoon of sauteed onion), avocado (three little cubes) and radish (an almost translucent shaving about 6cm long). For nearly $20, they could have been slightly more generous.

The main disappointment was the beverages. Firstly, can you believe a place of this calibre does not offer fresh juices? Only bottled. Secondly, two of our party ordered English Breakfast tea. They waited several minutes before swirling the pot and pouring - it was incredibly weak (both pots). Obviously Pod Food is skimping on the quantity of tea leaves. Lastly, my long black coffee was served in a cappuccino cup (arrrgh! It goes cold too quickly!), and there was hardly any crema, plus the flavour was not very robust. On top of this, at one point we asked for more drinking water... it never arrived.

Overall the quality of the food is very good, and nicely presented. It's just we left feeling overcharged because of the meanness with certain elements, and the quality of the beverages.

By the way, the latest you can book for breakfast is 10:00am, but be warned that by 11:00am you will be getting the hint to move on so the restaurant can set up for lunch.

3  Thank mareepsasja
There are newer reviews for Pod Food

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I took my husband to celebrate his birthday intending to enjoy the degustation menu. We were both very impressed - our Saturday evening meal was the best we've had in Canberra. The service was faultless and we both enjoyed their friendly attentiveness. The food and matched local wines started to arrive and it was beautifully presented - wow - and was full of so much deliciousness. I really didn't think we had such excellence in Canberra.

I highly recommend taking yourself to Pod Food on a crisp autumn night, settle in and just enjoy.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The food was great both times i went to pod food (last time was November 2010) and there was a very obvious change to the menu with the arrival of the new owners.
Since it was such a long time ago that i visited, i can really only recommend the restaurant for the location, being out in Pialligo. Its quiet out there, which is something that i like, and it was a lovely location for a romantic dinner.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I went to Pod on the weekend for Sunday brunch and loved it. I'm trying to follow the paleo diet at the moment and they were really accommodating when I asked for a few changes on my order. I had a beautiful plate of scrambled eggs, bacon, grilled tomatoes, caramelised onions and avocado. My friend had the pancakes which looked amazing! The atmosphere was lovely and we stayed long after we finished our meals. Loved the coffee too. It's a little hidden treasure :)

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I specifically chose this place as it was near the airport shops and I wanted to go somewhere nice for lunch with my Mother who was visiting canberra just for the day. The nursery area is a nice setting, fairly quiet although we were competing with a party of some sort. We were seated straight away on a saturday without reservations. I was not expecting this given the reviews. The wine list was epic however since neither of us was drinking we had to ask about non alcoholic drinks as they were surprisingly nowhere to be found on the list.

I am not a huge fan of the type of menu Pod food has, it was limited and due to my complete lack of tolerance for any hot or spicy food it became more so. I ended up ordering the pork belly which I have had at three or four other canberra locations. It didnt take too long for the food to arrive however the veges with my meal where several tiny (and I mean tiny) florets of cauliflower and a couple of strips of Daikon. I believe in english this is turnip, very bland. The pork belly itself had about 50/50 meat to fat, I prefer a little more meat but the issue was that the outer shell was so hard I had to stab the knife in and shatter the surface to cut it. Definitely not a fan.

My Mum ordered the fois gras wellinton with venison. She had recently been on a trip to paris and said she had previously had the duck liver both cold and hot but preferred cold. It came out hot and she only ate half of it. At least she had a couple of slightly bigger carrots to go with it.

I think the moral of the story here is that even if you are going to do minimalist fusion dishes you still need to put a decent amount of food on the plate so if the main item doesnt work out we still get something to eat rather than chasing down a maccas after we leave.

I would go out to a different restaurant at the nurseries next time for the ambience.

1  Thank RXH2