“Gave me Food poisoning”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 27, 2011

The title says it all... The place gave me food poisoning. Food was foul. The duck that I had was hard and chewy. The sauce was not well cooked. The ingredients were all separate and not blended in.

Had an "Indian" sweet there which tasted nothing like the Indian sweets that I have eaten before. Apparently their freezer had a malfunction the night before so half the menu was "off"... What I ate made me realise that the whole menu was OFF..

4  Thank Animitra G

Reviewed October 20, 2011

Hubby and I had not been to the Lanterne Rooms for a few years so decided on a return visit recently.

It's a lovely looking restaurant inside (don't let the daggy Campbell shops address deter you), pretty lanterns hanging from the ceiling with a cool white and dark brown decor.

The menu had not changed much from the last time but when I asked (I would like to underline and bold "I" here) the waiter to explain to me what was in the Kaptian Duck, he gave a in depth description of the ingredients and spoke directly to my HUSBAND completely ignoring me! Hellllooooo! Maybe he was shy with girls or something!

Food was delicious and filing however the Indian ‘Kulfi’ Ice-cream with Peppered Pineapple although quite tasty was also quite icy and 'crunchy' - not a terribly pleasing creamy texture all the way through.

All up, a nice experience. Food was delivered promptly with just the right amount of time between course, but as with so many restaurants now, once you are on dessert, they pretty much desert you and leave you trying to gain 'eye contact' and eventually have to resort to 'arm waving' to get the bill. A bit more improvement on the customer service neeeded I think.

2  Thank Sophisticant
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Outstanding food, excellent service, great explanations of the degustation menu - a thoroughly enjoyable evening that really impressed our visitor from Paris.

1  Thank JohnB41
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We've been living in Canberra for 18 months and have never heard this restaurant mentioned. We saw it listed in a QANTAS magazine as one of the only restaruants to visit in Canberra so decided to give it a go. Wow! Tucked away in a row of local suburban shops, there's no hint of the delights within until you're seated. Waiting staff are excellent and attentive. Menu caters for all tastes including vegetarian and the wine list is strong. So what about the food? Easily the best food we've experienced in Canberra and one of the best meals we've had in ages. The style is an Asian fusion, with delicate flavours, many unexpected, but all wonderful. This restaurant would not be out of place amongst the hatted in Melbourne, Sydney or London. Highly recommended. Do note: Bookings are a must- this restaurant in always booked out on the night.

1  Thank specialjenny
Reviewed September 22, 2011

My husband had had several business dinners here and always came home raving about the food and service, promising that we would go soon. So when my birthday rolled around I picked The Lanterne Rooms. We went with two other couples and two 13 year olds and chose the banquet. The food was creative and delicious and the service was attentive without being pushy. They even changed a couple of things on the banquet just for the girls. I also love the funky asian decor. It's not what you expect when you pull up to the Campbell Shops. Next week is my husband's birthday and guess where we're going? You guessed it - back to the Lanterne Rooms.

1  Thank Fossettes