“Great day”

National Dinosaur Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: The National Dinosaur Museum is Australia's largest permanent display of prehistoric specimens, located in Gold Creek Village near Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia. The museum's exhibition follows the evolution of life, with a particular focus on dinosaurs. With an annual patronage of 100,000 visitors, the museum is one of the most popular attractions in the Australian Capital Territory. The gift shop stocks a range of natural history books, dinosaur replicas, toys, fossils, crystals, minerals and meteorites.
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed the museum the dinosaur display out the front was amazing great photo opportunities.
We had a 2, 4, 8, 10 year old boys they loved it the 2 year old was more interested in the moving dinosaurs but we done the tour and he sat and listened the whole time which for a 2year old that's really good.
The 10year old done a quiz to get some fossil he enjoyed it and felt a sense of achievement.
Us adults learnt a bit as well.
No a big museum but kids get bored quick so this was perfect size.

2  Thank Leeann H
NDMCanberra, Social Media Manager at National Dinosaur Museum, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write! We love hearing feedback about the museum!

It sounds like you and your children had a great time learning about dinosaurs at our museum! We try to cater for all age groups with our range of activities, displays, guided tours, and more! We hope to see you and your family at the museum again soon!

Thank you again for visiting the National Dinosaur Museum - don't forget to 'Like' us on Facebook to keep up with all our events and news!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I took my 6 year old Dinosaur mad son there and he had a ball. As an adult you can see it for what it is but the joy it gave my son was well worth it. They gave you a quiz to complete whilst you were walking around, at the end you get a little suprise. It was a lovely gesture, although I did most of the quiz because my son was way too distracted with the exhibits. We joined a small tour within the museum and that was fun, and geared towards the little ones. My son didnt care whether they were real fossils or not. He loved it because he could see things up close, touch things in the gift shop, and have fun mixing with other young dinosaur hunters. There were many dinosaur models on display, with sounds and visual affects. Many an opportunity for photos inside the museum and out. It was the best couple of hours, my son had a ball.

The staff were friendly and knew their subject matter. The facilities clean and tidy. The giftshop was large and inviting...a bit pricey... but you have to expect that.

I would highly remommend this place for the little ones. If you see it for what it is, you wont be disappointed. I would certainly go back there again.

1  Thank Ecop

It sounds like you and your son had a fantastic time at our museum! We love hearing about how much fun he had interacting with all the displays and exhibits the museum has to offer. Thank you so much for the recommendation! We hope to see you and your son at the museum again soon!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

After spending a few days in Canberra, we decided to stop here before heading home with our nearly three year old daughter who loves dinosaurs. It was well worth the stop!
Pulling up into the carpark, we nearly couldn't contain a very excited child who had spotted the entrance to the museum - a yard full of very realistic looking fibreglass dinosaurs. We spent 20 minutes going from dinosaur to dinosaur, and that was before we had even gone in the front door to pay! She would have been very happy just with that!
The price was fairly standard for adults... and my daughter was free. The displays were mostly upstairs. We really enjoyed each of the displays. They were clear, gave interesting information, and met the needs of all of us - from the three year old to us adults. They were visual and informative. With some of the dinosaurs motorised and allowing for movement, we had a captivated daughter for nearly an hour.
The gift shop downstairs was also very well stocked and the prices were about the usual - on the high side but not too bad.
We would come back again - not immediately but was worth the stop.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

First off, let's be very clear.... this is not run by a learned institution with real fossils; rather it is a privately run set of displays, which is not to say it is bad, just different!! To be honest, I really enjoyed it even though I am rather 'up' on dinos and have seen the real thing in England. In fact, while the displays are fibreglass, they are beautifully presented and the static displays inside are very good indeed and the staff: well, the lass I spoke to had just finished a tour and was happy to yarn with me about all things dino.... if she's any indication of the rest of the staff - and I suspect she is!! - then this is a real winner!!

Well worth a visit, especially with kids of all ages!!

1  Thank ENZEDFamily
Reviewed November 5, 2013

The museum is cashing in on the term "National" . This isn't a National museum but privately owned, which is fine but the term National is deceiving. An hour is more than enough. My kids and I spent equally amount of time in the gift shop which is very good.

If you don't have much time in Canberra, you could spend your time more wisely with kid friendly activities