“Magical Wonderful Place - an extremely awesome find”

Yucatan Mayan Retreat, Ecohotel & Camping
Copacabana, La Paz, Bolivia
“Magical Wonderful Place - an extremely awesome find”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

OK, so this place isn't the nearest to the Mayan site but it's well worth the 15min taxi ride. Set in the small village of Yokdzonot, at the end of what appeared to be a dirt track to nowhere. It is a beautiful, peaceful, idyllic little find. Upon arrival, thinking we had the wrong place and almost turning back, we were met by Daniel who immediately took our bags and offered us a much nicer room than we'd booked for the same price.

We were the only people there at the time, the room had a HUGE shower and as you walked in and out of your building a flurry of butterflies scattered all around you. We had some chilled water waiting for us in our room as well as various little unexpected luxuries such as some reading material, a TV, shampoos etc. The best thing was the outside kitchen area - complete with microwave, fridge, cooker and cutlery (not to mention overhead fan!) - it was surreally awesome, just sitting in the middle of this gorgeous paradise.

There is also a Cenote just 10 mins walk from the hostel which when we visited the morning of our departure was completely empty :-) we loved having the place to ourselves and swimming in the cool waters for a well deserved cool off.

Would definitely recommend this place to anyone wanting to see Chichen Itza, an equivalent experience in Europe would be stupidly expensive.

Go there and enjoy :)

Room Tip: The big one in the centre.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Duff_n_Puis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I spent over a week in this glorious resort when I had only originally planned on spending a few days there to visit one of the Seven wonders of the world, Chichen Itza which is 10 minutes away by car or bus.

It was such a peaceful and traditional place with a wonderful assortment of accomodation to suit most budgets. I stayed in various one's including the traditional Mayan house and the Suite both of which were wonderful.

The owner Jorge speaks great English and is only too happy to help out guests with any information or travel plans. Jorge also took me on some wonderfully cheap and thrilling trips to caves and Senotes in the area where the large coach buses do not go. They are much more beautiful than the large tourist attractions in the area and it all added to the authentic experience.

Whilst the Yucatan Mayan Resort may be at peace with it's traditional roots and way of life there all a range of eco - ammenities and a fabulously clean communcal kitchen where you can cook about anything. Or if you wish Jorge will cook you up something fab.

A great place to stay that is both closer and cheaper to Chichen Itza and it's surrounding wonders than the more expensive hotels

HIghly recommended and if you're there say Hi to Don Daniel and Jorge

Room Tip: Choose the suite its heaven being in the bath listening to the relaxing sounds of the Jungle.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank glenisatraveller
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My family and I truly enjoyed staying at this ecohotel. We chose to stay in the large suite because it had its own bathroom. Though, the outside bathroom was very clean. Jorge and Daniel were very nice and helpful. We liked the fact that there is an outside open-air kitchen where the guest get to cook their own meals if they chose. There is a beautiful and clean cenote (vertical cave pool) within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask George (the Manager) which room is best for your needs...he is very helpful.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank familyof5Montoya
Oakland, California
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Oh, I wish I were there right now! My stay at the Yucatan Mayan Retreat was easily the best part of my trip. I felt so comfortable and happy there. After driving from Cancun, and traveling more than 9 hours by plane, I was tired, dirty, and more than a little cranky. However, all of that changed as soon as I walked onto the grounds.
Upon our arrival, the owner (a handsome, gracious 32-year old from Mexico City) gave us a tour of the retreat, offered to give us a second tent just for our baggage, and then gave us each a beer from his own kitchen.
He could not have been more gracious and accommodating, and even allowed us to stay in one of the rooms when the guest who reserved it wasn't able to come. And, when I asked the owner if I could keep the book I started to read during my stay he said, "of course! This is my gift to you." I have never met anybody more hospitable and considerate. I felt safe and pampered during my entire stay.
The room, the grounds, the outdoor shower, and the owner make this a can't-miss for everybody. It is truly a haven and a paradise.

Stayed April 2011
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed April 14, 2011

Great place to get some rest and be in contact with nature. I slept in a camping tent, surrounded by nature. Great place to get some peace of mind. Friendly Staff and a very nice outdoor bathroom. Just a few kilometers from the Mayan Ruins of Chichen·Itza and Yaxunah, wright next to the wonderful Cenote, Sinkhole, of Yokdzonot.
In a Camping Tent, in the Maya House or in the Suite you are in for a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice, I stayed in a tent.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Erapel
Calgary
Reviewed March 24, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights - we are always on the lookout for "alternate" accomdodations and this place didn't disappoint - it is exactly as shown on the website and was spotlessly clean and tidy, both inside and out. We stayed in the Mayan Suite, so it was really like deluxe camping. The retreat is on a hill at the edge of the village and is very quiet and peaceful - not even any roosters or dogs barking - which was always welcome after a busy day of sightseeing. It makes a convenient base for visiting Chichen Itza and Izamal, plus the village cenote, which is very nice. There is not much to the village itself and it only has a couple of tiendas (corner stores) and no real place to buy fresh food or any restaurant (except for the one @ the cenote, which is not open at night). We loved using the very well stocked outdoor kitchen at the retreat and bought our food supplies in nearby Piste. The caretaker, Daniel, was helpful, although he had real troubles understanding our spanglish (& vice versa) - we were a little disapointed that the english speaking owners were not on-site because we were interested in learning more about the area from them. Still, when we had to be unexpectedly contacted about a family emergency, the owner Jorge and Daniel were extremely helpful. So be sure to give this place a try if you want something different - the Mayan hut and outdoor campsites looked very nice too, although we didn't use them ourselves.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trubrit7
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 28, 2011

i wanted to stay here because it's in yokdzonot. i'm just kidding. but it sure is fun trying to pronounce it. the yucatan mayan retreat is not your normal lodging place. i would say it's more of a camp ground that offers a couple "suites" for the non-camping types.

i stayed here back in freezing december. got into cancun and went directly there. took 2nd class bus...yes, got into yokdzonot very late. it's about a 5 hour bus ride...many local stops and one stop by the mexican army. i was nervous upon arriving there because my spanish is terrible, and as mentioned very late, but to my surprise the town is t-i-n-y --everyone knows everyone, and they are all very helpful. daniel the staff was waiting for me! i felt terrible... oh, it is wise to purchase any drinks/food beforehand --it's like camping.

i stayed in the "suite" since sleeping in a tent is not my thing. the suite is more like a hut but with a flat tv...that's what i'm talking about (just kidding, didn't even turned it on). i loved it. very charming and clean. plenty of blankets. didn't have its own bathroom. there's a communal "outdoor" bathroom--normal bathroom, just outside - no roof.

i slept like a baby. woke up to a bunch of birds chirping and turkeys...

took a taxi to chichen Itza. paid 15 pesos. 15 minutes ride. chichen itza opens at 8am and the restaurant opens at 10am....there's a coffee shop but they only sell junk food/pastries. for backpackers, there's an area for you to check in your backpack.

thanks to daniel and owner jorge, who made my reservation, for making my stay awesome! :D

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank vavamos
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yokdzonot
Hostel Candelaria
#1 of 20 in Valladolid
Cenotes Cabanas Suytun
Cenotes Cabanas Suytun
#13 of 20 in Valladolid

Been to Yucatan Mayan Retreat, Ecohotel & Camping? Share your experiences!