“Bhalil - peaceful village and friendly villagers”
Review of Dar KamalChaoui

Dar KamalChaoui
Ranked #1 of 1 Bhalil B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Life in Bhalil is totally different compare to Fez. It's a village that's not too far from Fez (about 30 min drive) with a lot of friendly people. We were very lucky to have stayed a night at Dar Kamal Chaoui. Like the villagers in Bhalil, Kamal was very helpful and friendly. He brought us around the village to show us the architecture, culture, and how the people make a living there (by making buttons for djellaba). Dar Kamal Chaoui is clean and nice. As for food, Beatrice (Kamal's wife) cooks great homemade food. If you don't really like the busy/commercialized Fez, you should consider staying one or two extra nights in Bhalil and enjoy the hospitality of Kamal and Beatrice.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
17  Thank gardonavem

Reviewed April 11, 2012

Bhalil is a small and quiet yet beautiful village about 20km from Fez. Dar Kamal is actually Kamal and Beatrice's family home. Beatrice, and their helper Sabah are wonderful cooks. You have to try their cooking especially the chicken tajine and desserts. Regretfully, we only stayed a night, which was too short a trip. Kamal was very nice to have brought us for a short walking tour around the village. Apparently, almost all women in the village sews buttons for a living. And some families live in man made caves. We had the opportunity to have mint tea and visit 1 very beautiful one in particular, is Fatima's cave. Kamal's neightbours are very friendly, especially the younger ones and they are very curious about our presence, which made the visit more appealing. I would recommend you stay at least 2 days in Dar Kamal to enjoy the peace and quiet of Bhalil. Very highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Goaveni
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Well, I don’t write very often comments but this time I really feel that I have to.

When my friends first proposed me this trip I was a bit reluctant in the sense that it seemed to me a bit scary for four girls to travel "alone" in a foreign country such as Morocco. But then she spoke about her previous experience with Kamal Chaoui and I got reassured (and so excited!).

What can I say… IT WAS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, and I mean it! All this thanks to Kamal that made our journey a fantastic adventure. We discovered a whole new world. We learned to re-experience our senses. It was quite an incredible revolution. The food, the deserts, the fruits, the spices, everything tasted differently, smelled differently (the food, the markets, the leather, the wood), sounded differently (the language, the music…). And what we SAW was the most impressive experience for me. While I was expecting an arid country I discovered quite the opposite: the landscapes were dominated by beautiful shades of green. There were also many lakes, waterfalls and snow-covered mountains. It was truly magnificent!

There are so many things to say that I could write a novel! I think that it wouldn’t have been the same if we hadn’t had the luck to meet Beatrice and Kamal who took such great care of us in their lovely guesthouse! I wish for you to have such an experience at least once in your lifetime! My only regret is that we hadn’t enough time to get to see the desert, but that dream I am going to fulfil soon and I hope for Kamal and Beatrice to be part of it!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
12  Thank Maria B
Reviewed March 12, 2012

An easy 24 km from Fez, Dar Kamal Chaoui is well worth a trip. Plan to stay several nights to have time to relax and ease into the way of life in an authentic small Moroccan village. Kamal and Beatrice are the lovliest hosts, warm and welcoming in the true Moroccan style. Their guesthouse is decorated beautifully with simple understated elegance. Everything is clean and comfortable. I don't remember having such peaceful nights of sleep while away from home. The upstairs terrace is a special treat - plan to spend a morning or an evening relaxing and taking in the spectacular view of the village and the distant lights of Fez.

We travelled to Dar Kamal Chaoui with 3 generations of family all together. It was a special and memorable trip for all. Kamal and Beatrice were especially sweet to our energetic little 2 year old.

Room Tip: Take the upstairs room and wakeup to the beautiful terrace right outside your door.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank Joy A
Reviewed January 18, 2012

To experience the renowned Moroccan hospitality in a relaxed environment stay at Dar Kamal Chaoui Guesthouse in Bhalil. No more than 45 minutes from Fes airport, Bhalil was the start to our trip before travelling to Fez. We arrived at the Guesthouse and immediately felt at ease. Kamal is extremely helpful and polite ensuring a pleasant stay. His wife Beatrice is an excellent cook and the soup we ordered for dinner was magnifique! The lovely evening was complete with mint tea accompanied by some delicious homemade chocolate brownies on the roof terrace with Kamal and Beatrice. We didn’t get to see much of Bhalil due to lack of time on our part which was a shame as there were olive groves to visit and relaxed walks up the mountain through Bhalil with beautiful scenery. If you are looking to escape from your busy lifestyles with something less commercial, authentic, relaxed and friendly then Bhalil and Dar Kamal Guesthouse is the place to be.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Fatiha A
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Get away from the noise from Fez and come to this charming Riad. Heated Floors! Beautiful mountain hike with a family picnic what a treat! Very clean private bath and shower. Beatrice is an amazing cook with garden fresh meals. Kamal offers any assistance and makes this a great family place or couples respite. Truly undiscovered, please pass the word!

Room Tip: Request mountain view
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
16  Thank sunshime
Reviewed October 20, 2011

After being in a Riad Fez Medina that was horrible, my father and I decided to find something else outside of Fez! Bhalil is a small town very charming and Dar KamalChaoui is even more! The home of Kamal and his wife Beatrice is like no others where I have been! The guest house is tastefully decorated! each room and bathroom are new and clean and perfect at every corner! The bedding is very confortable.the noise of the children outside and call to prayer makes the place even more charming! I look forward to going back there! I miss The tasteful cuisine of DarKamalChaoui.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
21  Thank Frenchonista

Been to Dar KamalChaoui? Share your experiences!