“Over priced rooms - manager rude - total refurb needed!!!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lynford Hall

Lynford Hall
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mundford
“Over priced rooms - manager rude - total refurb needed!!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

My husband, my 13 week old son and I travelled from Kent to attend a relatives wedding. On the initial booking, months in advance we requested a travel cot which was present in the room on arrival. The room itself was very small (you could not swing a cat in it). It was overcrowded with furniture and definitely not big enough for 2 adults and a baby. When we first arrived we were annoyed that we hadn't been allocated a downstairs room so had to hoist our sons buggy up and down the many stairs.

The ensuite in the room was very basic. It comprised of a shower, a basin and a toilet. The shower again was very small and if we had been any bigger we wouldn't have been able to fit inside. There was complimentary shampoo and shower gel however knowing that there were 2 adults and a baby you would have thought we would have been given at least 2 however there was only 1 shampoo and 1 shower gel. The cleanliness of the shower wasn't to a high standard. There was scum around the sealing of it. The shower took at least 15 mins to heat up and when I say heat up I mean luke warm.

The room had the usual tea/coffee making facilities with a kettle however the kettle was riddled with orange limescale. Unfortunately I was unable to sterilise my sons bottles as felt this would have been extremely unhealthy for him. Descaling a kettle or buying a new kettle doesn't cost the earth!

That evening when we returned to the room at approx 2100 hrs, we got our son settled in the travel cot and got ourselves ready for bed. The mattress was very uncomfortable. It was lumpy and you could hear the springs pinging as you moved.

The room needs major sound proofing as we could hear nextdoor generally talking as well as urinating in their own toilet.

We didn't sleep well at all!!

£85 for that room, well overpriced. I've stayed at many hotels and would have expected this room to cost no more than £40.

Premier Travel Inn is far better, costs a lot less and surprisingly although basic, offers comfort and value for money!

On check out - I did mention all of the above. It appeared there was no manager present to speak to so was advised to write an email to the general manager, so we did.

We had a reply from the manager the next day offering us another stay however in a suite with dinner and breakfast. This was of no use to us seen as the purpose of our initial stay was for a wedding so I contacted the manager by phone and declined this and advised I would prefer to have my money back.

It was agreed that my money would be refunded.

The morning of the next day I had a phone call from a member of staff confirming my card details for the refund to be put back on. However in the afternoon I received a further call from the same member of staff. She advised me that she was training a new member of staff and was showing them how to process a refund however it had gone horribly wrong. Instead of pressing the refund button, they had actually pressed the payment button meaning a further amount had been taken. As you could imagine I was very angry! The member of staff although apologetic advised there wasn't anything else she could do in order to speed up me getting my money back as she had already refunded the initial amount for the stay plus the amount taken in error. I asked her to speak with the manager and call me back. She called me back and again said there wasn't anything they could do. She advised me that it should be back in my account the next day.

So the next day I waited and checked my account balance and still didn't have this money back so I contacted the hotel and spoke directly with the manager!

He was extremely rude. He said there wasn't anything more they could do. He was trying to fob me off. In the end out of the blue he said "take me to court if you want. I'd like to see you in court". I didn't even mention court to him. He put the phone down on me. I definitely wouldn't have expected this behaviour from a manager.

Do not waste your money. The reviews I've read on here are so true!

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Karina Z

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

We were a bit apprehensive about the hotel after reading recent reviews, but we had a very warm welcome (a very helpful staff member suggesting where to park with regard to the position of our room). We were on a Groupon deal which gave the impression of the larger "superior " room as per the Lynford Hall website. However,we were allocated a pleasant courtyard room. The evening meal we had was very enjoyable and the cooked breakfast was one of the best we have had anywhere - very good quality ingredients served piping hot on very hot plates. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. A walk in the arboretum adjacent to the hotel is a must. The daffodils were just coming out so the next few weeks will be spectacular. I think that some recent trip advisor unfavourable comments are unfair but I can only speak as I find. Whilst it is true that some parts of the hotel grounds and exterior appearance are a bit tired, there are plans, I understand from a conversation with the owner for money to be spent in the near future. I would certainly return if the opportunity arises.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JennyinLeicester
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

I have been staying at the hotel for a few weeks, i don`t think you could find a team of staff that have put them selfs out more to make you feel at home and looked after, no problem has been to small for them to sort out quickly as they can.The food has been great if you eat in the dinning room or the bar and the whole place is lovely to walk round and explore down to the lake or old church.My only critict of the whole thing is that i never got the chance to look around the rest of the area.

Room Tip: try the coach houses for clean and quiet stay and the suites for a touch of luxury for you and yours...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Brandon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

I booked a night away as a surprise for my husband's birthday with a Groupon special offer and arrived on what I presume was a busy Saturday. The lady who checked us in seemed to be new as she sent us up the stairs to our room and after trying 10 minutes to find it we could only see the suites. Eventually we went back down sand we were redirected through a door, up some more stairs and along a corridor to find the room had twin beds and not a double,. The Groupon offer stated double superior room. The room overlooked the courtyard and didn't seem to be superior as it had a small television that had seen better days and we expected a better view and double bed.
We were offered a different room which was one of the cheaper courtyard rooms which didn't have the atmosphere the Hotel indicates. We were told that they were busy and that there were only 3 courtyard rooms left.
I decided this was not the birthday surprise I had hoped for and told reception we were not happy and wouldn't be staying.
To his credit the Manager who came offered us a free lunch and drink in the bar as we had travelled there and to make up for our disappointment. We had to wait sometime for our lunch to arrive as there was only one lady behind the bar and she was dealing with cream teas etc. If the food we were to experience in the evening on the offer if we had stayed was representative of the lunch then again we would have been disappointed but at least we didn't pay for it and the Manager had tried to put things right.
Overall a disappointing experience but Groupon were great and refunded our money once the Hotel had confirmed we hadn't stayed.

Room Tip: Pick a suite as they seem to have the best views etc.
1 Thank Noisylady

Travelers are raving about these Mundford hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Booked in on Saturday night for dinner and Sunday Carvery.
Good Points-great staff all extremely helpful.Fabulous room in the mansion suite upstairs,splendid bathroom and big TV.Very good bar service and a decent IPA on draught together with a couple of good malt whiskeys.Lovely girl served us and brought drinks to our table in the reception area.
Saturday night meal fine and very attentively served.Overall experience on Saturday very good.
Not so good points-Sunday carvery very ordinary.First come first serve and I got the impression that once the roasts were gone that was it.We dined at 1.30pm and only a few cuts of meat remained and most of the potatoes and vegetables were a bit overcooked.Overall experience on the Sunday pretty average.Mentioned the Carvery to the reception staff who were interested to hear what they considered to be constructive criticism.
Will certainly come again,the extra cost of the suites is well worth the money.If the Carvery has not improved will dine on the Sunday in the Crown in the village.
The grounds look great too,considering this area has had the wettest winter on record for the past few decades.

Good Luck to the team who are trying so hard to build a good reputation here.

Room Tip: Always take a suite when you go to a hotel if you want the best room available.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

We stayed at this 'hotel' last night and at best can only describe our stay as interesting. I got the impression that the owners really have no idea on how a hotel should be run. The staff were friendly enough but had no clue when it came to customer service.

Giving a balanced appraisal of our stay, the room was clean, ancient small TV the likes of which I thought did not exist anymore. The whole place clearly needs some attention, especially the gardens. Inexperienced bar staff who could not provide a gin & tonic, had to ask for ice and lemon and a very bemused look when ordering a white wine spritzer and being presented with a glass of wine and a completely separate mixer.

Made the decision to eat our evening meal in the bar and not in the main restaurant (there was no atmosphere in the restaurant and the lighting was too bright). This was our biggest mistake as there was a group of undesirable males sitting in the bar. One particular gentleman who seemingly was holding 'court' in the bar could not string a sentence together without an expletive which was disgusting. We could not wait to finish our meal in order to retire to our room and not have to listen to such awful language. If matters could not get worse, one of the group decided to bring a riot shield into the bar where we were eating and proceeded to explain to the other gentlemen he was with how he used it to quell prisoners. We got the impression he is a prison guard!

Breakfast was good, full english and could not fault it.

When checking out, no comment made at all by the reception staff on the quality of our stay.

Would never go back to this place, especially for an anniversary break!

Room Tip: Go someone else!
2 Thank Kim M
Cambridge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed for a one night plus evening meal deal from Tickles. The main part of the hotel and the grounds are beautiful (I agree with others, the gardens need some TLC but it was winter...). It is a pretty impressive country house converted to an hotel. Very secluded position in Thetford forest. Our room was in the courtyard development, separate from the main hotel. The room was a basic, modern hotel room which could do with some more characterful features so it ties in with the main hotel. The bathroom was very nice, spotlessly clean.
The main problem really was a lack of atmosphere and the food. For a hotel of its pretensions it really needs to up its game on the food front. Our evening meal was similar to what I would expect in any reasonable pub these days. I had Fish and Chips which was as it said on the tin but nothing special. Hubby had sausages and mash. The real disaster came with breakfast. Usually something to look forward to when you're away. Firstly it wasn't clear how breakfast 'worked', then we ordered scrambled eggs on toast for me and smoked haddock with poached egg for hubby. We were not offered toast so belatedly ordered some, then waited a long time for our breakfast. Eventually it came and I have never seen anything so miniscule on a plate as my hubby's smoked haddock and egg. It would have been small for a starter but ridiculous for breakfast. I would have been too embarrassed to present it if I had been the waitress. The poached egg was also hard (as was my scrambled egg but that's the risk you take with scrambled egg). Unfortunately we were then so disappointed we couldn't wait to leave. Oh and the coffee was truly awful, tasteless warm water. Thankfully we found a Costa Coffee open in Swaffham on our way home so hubby was able to fill up a bit. I have seen from other reviews that the full English breakfast is good and it certainly looked fine - I guess the majority have that so maybe we chose the wrong thing (no excuse though really). The hotel could be so much better, they have all the material there but are let down in some areas.
The staff were very nice though. Definitely a mixed experience.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mundford
The Thomas Paine Hotel
The Angel Hotel
The Angel Hotel
#3 of 11 in Bury St. Edmunds
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,108 reviews

Been to Lynford Hall? Share your experiences!