“Will definitely be back”
Review of The Jolly Sailor

The Jolly Sailor
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Heybridge
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood, British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are a family & dog friendly pub located on the Blackwater estuary where you can enjoy a pint on the seawall as well as dine in our eating areas, inside or out. We serve fresh homecooked food and seafood all day, all year round. We often have music and charity events which are great fun for all the family. We cater for large groups, walking groups or parties and functions for up to 50 people and have the Barn Eatery which is often used for private functions.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Recently ate here - not for the first time - once again fabulous food (although portions are rather large for me). There were four of us and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their choices.

1  Thank H6280XPkarenc
Write a reviewReviews (407)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Took my family for a meal at The Jolly last Friday evening, there were 8 of us and every meal was perfectly cooked. The girls who served us were very friendly and smiley and did their utmost to make us feel welcome, Very reasonable prices and excellent food. A brilliant riverside pub.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Disappointed
We went to the Jolly sailor for Sunday lunch. The pub was busy and had a good atmosphere. The service was friendly and the wine was very good.
However, the food was a let down, after waiting nearly an hour for our food to arrive, with tables arriving after us being served, I was presented with my hot seafood platter. This was mainly cold, it had a small bowl of fried bits which were indistinguishable to the point that I asked for my calamari as I couldn’t tell it was there. My wife had roast lamb which was way over cooked and tough to eat. The roast potatoes tasted like they had been cooked days before. My mother in law had cod but because the plates were stone cold it got cold very quickly and she didn’t enjoy it.
No one asked us how the food was, I think this might have been because they realised our disappointment, this is a shame as if I had been able to discuss our disappointment then I wouldn’t have had to write this review.
To sum up, a lovely pub to have a drink and perhaps if having fish and chips on weekday lunchtime then I’m sure it’s great but we won’t return for food as it felt like there was no care or ambition left from the kitchen team who are obviously just going through the motions rather than creating delicious food. It’s a shame.

Reviewed December 10, 2019

This pub and restaurant can be found in Heybridge Basin, a good place to end up after a walk along the Chelmer Canal, or a bike ride down to the Basin. Has a range of good beers, and provides good value tasty meals.

Date of visit: September 2019
Victoria B, Manager at The Jolly Sailor, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2020

Lovely thank you!

Reviewed December 2, 2019

Well this is as I expected a wonderful place to have Sunday lunch. All the staff were very accommodating, nothing was to much trouble. Excellent food.

Date of visit: December 2019

Thank you for a lovely review!