“Anniversary celebrations”

The Old Spotted Cow
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Old Spotted Cow is a pretty village pub on the outskirts of Marston Meysey, the northern-most village in Wiltshire. We have records of it as a pub as early as 1841, when the first census was taken, and it still retains many of the old features befitting of a Costwold pub: open fires, low beamed ceilings, exposed stone walls... Set amist pretty gardens, with views of open fields and plenty of off road parking, the Old Spotted Cow makes a charming retreat from the hurly burly of modern life. We strive to keep our menu fresh and seasonal, striking a balance between much loved pub classics and some more diverse dishes that reflect the landlady/head chef's many travels. Booking is recommended as we can get busy.
Kempsford, United Kingdom
“Anniversary celebrations”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Thank you so much for the marvellous meal you provided for my mother and father in laws anniversary celebration. We frequently come to the Old Spotted Cow and have never had any complaints at all. The meal and staff were superb as always and thank you and your team very very much for making it a celebration they will never forget.

• Visited July 2013
OldSpottedCow, Owner at The Old Spotted Cow, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
I am so delighted that you were happy with your special day at the Old Spotted Cow - I'll make sure the staff all see what you wrote, as it is their hard work that has made the pub such a happy place to be.
Thank you for taking the time to write, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
All the best,

“Want to be lied too?”
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I called to make a booking for my husbands birthday as this is his favourite restaurant only to be told when I said 2 children that they has no tables. As the booking was fine up till this point when I hung up my mum phoned back immediately and asked for a table for 4 and was offered 2 alternative times. I then called as asked JO the manager why I was lied too. She said that someone has phoned and canceled in between my call!! Unbelievable!! Not only did she lie but instead of apologising she lied again. Great food lousy customer service!

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Andiex
OldSpottedCow, Owner at The Old Spotted Cow, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Jo mentioned to me that your trump card at the end of your heated phone call to her was that you would write this review - thank you, it gives me a chance to respond.

When you first called the Old Spotted Cow, it was to ask for a table of 5. The young lady (new on our team) who initially took your call was regrettably unaware that the family area of the pub was already full and that the only two remaining tables left in the whole building were in the Bar. As we keep the Bar an adult-only area, Jo was quite right to point out the mistake to the waitress in question, and we unfortunately had to backtrack and say apologetically that there were in fact no tables left for families. (And that seemed better than you turning up on the day to be told we had double booked, don't you think?!)

You didn't believe us, and took this as a personal slight, so you got your mum to ring again. She asked for a table for 4 (not five this time) and said that there would be no children in the party. In response, she was told that there were tables in the bar - which there were - for adults, though...

At this point you got quite angry, accusing us of lying and threatening us with a poor review on this site. What a pity to fall out over a misunderstanding, especially as you say this was one of your husbands favourite places to come. I would have hoped that our regular customers would know us better than to think we would lie about being full - we normally try our absolute best to accommodate all bookings.

Again - I am SORRY that we were not able to find space in the family area for your group, and that you felt we were not helpful enough - indeed, you say we were "lying". I can assure you that we do not lie, nor do we turn away business for no good reason. If the tables are full, that is all we can say- and yes, Jo did apologise but by then you were too angry to hear it.

I do hope your husband's birthday was not spoiled, and perhaps next time you may think to book such a special occasion more than 12 hours in advance.

Kind regards,
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“A Delightful Surprise”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We found it whilst driving to Cheltenham, and it was fully worth the detour for lunch!

Beautiful pub/restaurant in a lovely location. Friendly / helpfull staff, good service and above all fantastic food!! Great fish cakes, melt in you mouth Scampi with perfect chips Excellent attention to detail and all served with really thoughful presentation - even the coffee!. Try the house Sauvignon Blanc - wow!

My only sadness is we live far away in Hampshire, but we'll certainly be back!

• Visited August 2013
OldSpottedCow, Owner at The Old Spotted Cow, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to the Old Spotted Cow - thank you for your kind review, and please do bear us in mind if you are visiting this way again in the future.
All the best,
wiltshire
“Another lovely 'top end' English pub in Wiltshire”
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Lovely setting, pub & gardens. We arrived around 8.00pm, fairly busy. We decided to have a light snack but they refused us it was 21.00pm (last orders). We tried to order at 8:45pm... We were the only 2 people left to order, ao we were a little peeved... Shame really. So cant comment on food or service.

Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“A jolly good time”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We enjoy visiting this pub and appreciate the lovely garden with our little dog (all dogs on leads). Only very well behaved dogs allowed within. Very impressed that a yappy dog was asked to leave the bar/restaurant! Sorry, but it was noisy. A real gem of a place after a hard day's work. Friendly and informative locals and staff. Apple and Pears Cider delightful.

• Visited July 2013