“Worth travelling to”

The Old Spotted Cow
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Old Spotted Cow is a pretty village pub on the outskirts of Marston Meysey, the northern-most village in Wiltshire. We have records of it as a pub as early as 1841, when the first census was taken, and it still retains many of the old features befitting of a Costwold pub: open fires, low beamed ceilings, exposed stone walls... Set amist pretty gardens, with views of open fields and plenty of off road parking, the Old Spotted Cow makes a charming retreat from the hurly burly of modern life. We strive to keep our menu fresh and seasonal, striking a balance between much loved pub classics and some more diverse dishes that reflect the landlady/head chef's many travels. Booking is recommended as we can get busy.
Reviewed December 22, 2012

The service here is very customer focused and attentive.

The food is well prepared and presented, and reasonably priced.

We were a party of four and tried a wide style of their dishes, and had nothing but praise.

It was a little quiet on the night that we were there.

If passing, definitely worth a stop.

OldSpottedCow, Owner at The Old Spotted Cow, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Thanks for your review - October can be a little qiet, but I'm glad you had a good time anyway.
All the very best for 2013.
Anna

Reviewed December 7, 2012

The Old Spotted Cow is a long-term favourite of ours. Warm, friendly, and the food is terrific. This is a great place to keep in your telephone contacts list.

OldSpottedCow, Owner at The Old Spotted Cow, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

I'm delighted to ready your review - happy customers and repeat business is what makes it all worth while! Have a great Christmas and we'll see you soon.
Anna x

Reviewed November 21, 2012

A hellish journey in the miserable November weather....my ability to remember directions is ailing! Within minutes of our arrival my spirits had risen as my feelers knew this was a rare gem of a pub.
A table had been booked but the waitress ushered us to one nearer the fire...wonderful open ones at each end of the main room. With drinks in our hands we soaked in the ambience and perused the menus.The ale was top notch and the choice of dishes appealing
I had the hake with an almond crust, my wife devoured the macaroni cheese with mushrooms. We were sorely tempted by the bubble and squeak and the swahili vegetable stew - will relish these on a future visit.
Service was attentive and considerate, the food delicious and I have no hestitaion in recommending....but travel in daylight or use your satnav!

Thanks for taking the time ot review us - I am so pleased that you had a good meal. Dont forget that the menu changes regularly - the Swahili beans were so popular that I may have to bring them back sooner rather than later though.
Best wishes,
Anna

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Had lunch here on a weekday and enjoyed it immesely. I had bubble and squeek with bacon and poached egg and my daughter had tortellini and garlic bread. Both were cooked beautifully and tasted delicious. We then finished with ice cream... I had my favourite movenpick ice cream which was amazing and my daughter had her spotted cow vanilla ice cream which came in a cow container which was kindly washed up so she could take it home with her. A lovely pub with a great atmosphere and delicious food which I would recommend.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Went back earlier this week to have lunch with an old friend who lives north of this surprising pub. You will not find it easily: it's two and a half miles east of the A419 near Fairford, down some narrow roads which are so narrow there are two sets of traffic lights in the middle of nowhere to get you through the bad sections. The old and very comforetable pub is off the road and has a big car park.

It also has a different menu. Ever had a Swahili vegetarian bean stew? Try it, it was excellent. So too was the more normal pub fare of bubble and squeak topped with bacon and poached egg and the battered scampi and chips.

The wine list was different too: try the white Portugese Douro wine, a bit like a rounded Chardonnay.

Friendly ladies run it and the landlady Anna is the chef. Her puddings were much liked by my guests.

Service sometimes slows in busy times. but where doesn't it?

As the Michelin guide says "Well worth the diversion". I wish I could find pubs like the Old Cow in more villages! Two corses for lunch and a bottle of said Portugese was just over £100.