“Great 'American Diner' atmosphere”
Review of Dizzy's Diner

Dizzy's Diner
Reserve with OpenTable
Dizzy's Diner is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 113 Restaurants in Beckenham
Cuisines: Diner, British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We came here to celebrate our friends 18 year olds birthday, and to be honest, the noise as you enter the restaurant, for me, was horrendous. But, it's aimed at youngsters, so you gotta put up with it. After a while, you don't notice it, so, not really a problem.

The decor is 50s and 60s Americana, very well done, but the kids with us who the decor was aimed at, didn't know who the Marylin Monroe statue was! Unbelievable!

Speed of service, very slow. We booked for 8pm, were sat down at 8.10, ordered drinks which took 20 minutes to arrive, the starters arrived at 9pm. Main course at 9:35. Ok, this was a Saturday night, but this is when you they should have a full compliment of staff. We had a drink at the bar before sitting down, and the barman couldn't work the till. I wouldn't want to embarrass the man by moaning, but if it was his first night, which I think it was, then he should have back up.

Complaints over. The atmosphere was great, music also. We sat for a long time, and was still comfortable when we left at 11pm. Food superb, very tasty and well presented. My starter, a prawn cocktail was bung full of prawns.

Through the evening there were five separate birthdays which the whole room sang Happy Birthday to, it was that kind chummy place. As I said earlier, I was a bit put off by the noise, but it's all part of the venue.

I would go again, but would avoid Saturday night, and book for earlier in the evening.

1  Thank Russell M

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

As I've said before we visit here quite a bit with the kids early evenings. Haven't been for a few months - what a difference !! What's happend to the food? Much much nicer, larger portions - & they have always been big! But so much more flavour in the homemade burgers. Some usual staff that remembered us & said hello, which is nice & as always a happy chilled atmosphere .

1  Thank TRDSKent
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I came here with some girlfriends on sat night, having not been here since I was little with my parents. Brought back loads of nostalgia. Really nice cocktails, good grub and a lively atmosphere....it's upstairs so I guess I have been guilty of forgetting about dizzys! But seems like its still going strong.

5  Thank Louise B
Reviewed July 20, 2013

On balance the reviews were hit and miss so we thought as we just wanted a bite to eat we’d give it a try. We got there around 5.30pm on a Sunday which is a bit early (though other food places in town were half full when we walked past) to find an empty and very hot seating area with around 4-5 staff. Clearly with it so quiet there isn't any ambience however the staff were not engaging which didn't make it less awkward! Food was really basic and I think not good value for money with the additional service charge of 10% a damn right cheek! Could have got the same level service at McDonalds with the food not much better.

2  Thank E11i3
j F, Owner at Dizzy's Diner, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Hello, thanks for your review. On that weekend we experienced the hottest day of the year which possibly meant the restaurant was slightly warmer than usual which I apologise for. We do have air con. Also on that day we were actually holding our dizzys charity family festival which around 2000 people attended which is why we were perhaps slightly quieter than usual at the restaurant. I'm sorry you felt the staff weren't engaging it's something we actually really work hard on. The comparison with mcdonalds however is just ridiculous and an attempt at being spiteful. The quality of our food and our service completely dwarfs that of a fast food outlet. Thanks again for taking the time to leave your review and I will take your other comments on board.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

went to Dizzy's with my family, for my birthday. Used to go alot years ago, so I thought that my children should have a Dizzy's experience. We waited over 10 minutes for the drinks to arrive, they weren't busy, so I wasn't impressed with that! When our food came it was nice, but I thought that is was alot of money for what I had, a chicken breast and fries, years ago you could have a choice of jacket potato or fries, now it's just fries and if you don't like fries, tough, also the choice of cocktails has halved over the years, now not much to choose from. They also now have a service charge of 10%, £11.70. extra on our bill and they also had the cheek to ask for a tip!!!

1  Thank 425janet
j F, Owner at Dizzy's Diner, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Hello, firstly thank you for taking the time to express your view. We welcome all reviews good or bad so we can take them on board to improve future experiences. I'm sorry you felt you had to wait too long for your drinks. We try to make sure drinks arrive as quick as possible. When orders of cocktails are made sometimes it may take longer than usual but we are always working to improve this. We currently have 48 COCKTALS on our menu which certainly has never been double that and we always make the effort to make a favourite that isn't on the menu if we can. We have been making a few minor changes to the menu which is why jackets weren't available on your particular visit, which i apologise for, but we do now offer other options. Like many other restaurants we do add a discretionary 10% service charge as stated in the menu. I do hope you bring your family back as keeping our loyal customers is what has kept our restaurant buzzing for the last 35 years. We hope to see you back soon and thank you again for your feedback.