“No problems, good service, great food”

Coppers British Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 106 Restaurants in Beckenham
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Sustainability, conscientious farming, and provenance are very important to us. Our Beef and Chicken come from British Farms and our fish is sustainable. We aim to serve the very best of British.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

After reading reviews we were a little worried! Went on a saturday evening. Beautiful interior, friendly waiter and nice atmosphere with live pianist playing. Although prices of food were high for beckenham, the quality and portions were great and would recommend this restaurant for a special occasion rather than a casual dinner. Would love to go back again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Coppers British Restaurant

Reviewed July 15, 2013

As a group of 4 we booked a table for 8 pm Saturday evening, Need not of bothered as including ourselves there was a total of 11 of us in there .
We was the last to leave at around 10 .45 on leaving we said your not very busy to which the waitress replied its because we have no outside seating
Well most places in Beckenham don't and as we walked along we could see other places full to the brim
The restaurant is decorated beautifully but the food is awful , I had the bruschetta to start and the mash and cod for main , The bruschetta was so minced you could taste no fresh tomatoes and the grilled halloumi was like a piece of plastic.
The mash I think was instant and I had so many bones in my fish it put me off
On discussing the restaurant with my neighbour the following day I learnt she had actually also been for a first visit to the restaurant on the same evening and walked out after ordering 3 different dishes from the menu and being told none of them was available ,
lucky escape.......

3  Thank dave0190
Reviewed July 15, 2013

went saturday night. walked in to zero happy faces all very glum. Decor however was beautiful was a really lovely looking restaurant. took our seats - waited . waited. then asked for the childrens menu we did walk in with a child by the way. waited , waited and then we had to ask if we could order our drinks didnt seem like they were coming any time soon. Then it goes downhill. My husband ordered the mini burgers. "Oh we dont have mini burgers supplier issues". erh okay we thought fair enough cant be helped sometimes. so then i ordered - "the pizza with truffle please". (we specifically chose this restaurant as they had it on the menu ). we dont do that pizza anymore. And yes it was still on the menu. They advise they can do the pizza but without the truffle. Erm . no thanks. So 2 out of 2 dishes on the main course menu that we wanted they didnt even have. So we asked just to pay for our drinks and we would go somewhere else. There was half hearted attempt at an apology whilst walking off with a face like thunder to get our bill. The manager then comes over to takes our payment again face like thunder no apology , didnt even mention it took our money and walked off. So rude and a really bad way to treat customers. We are not difficult to please but you expect a certain level of service. Anyway we went accross the road to the wonderful pizza place Sarpore Vero wonderful . welcoming and true delight.

8  Thank t29kent
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Myself and friends were going out to lunch in Beckenham, wandered at all the places ended up at Basil, there was a deal on two courses for £7.95. It was a nice balanced menu with nice choices. We all chose different and all enjoyed the meals, I went withe bruschetta and the followed by a main of risotto which was lovely! Attentive but not over the top service. I would like to experience a busy sitting as all though we chatted there was no real atmosphere.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We arrived for a Wednesday lunchtime meal (at the Beckenham branch) with 5 people.
Firstly we were advised that there were two items from the menu that were unavailable- the kings prawns, which had not been delivered that day and more worryingly the Spanish omlette was also unavailable for reasons unknown and unexplained....it wasn't down to a lack of eggs as scrambled eggs were available with smoked salmon so I can only assume they had not boiled any potatoes.
I ordered a side of onion rings to go with my burger but was then told several minutes later that the kitchen had not prepared them so they were also unavailable. I have made onion rings before and it does only require cutting an onion and making some batter...not the hardest thing to prepare and at nearly £4 you would expect them to make the effort.

Anyway, the food when it arrived was ok. The burgers were pretty dry but everything else seemed ok.
We ordered some Irish Coffees which when they arrived was immediately apparent (to us anyway) that there was no whisky in them and not a lot of sugar. Upon raising this concern with the manager he assured me that there were doubles in each one. I can assure you that I have had enough Irish coffees and whisky in my time to know what it should taste like. They did offer to remake them but we declined after I was ushered away from the bar with some unwelcoming body language. We were overcharged by a whole bottle of wine which was refunded after we queried it but without any kind of apology.
We paid a service charge even though we had to wait over 10 minutes for a bottle of water to be delivered for our non-drinking diner. We also noticed after leaving the restaurant that we had been charged £5 for some asparagus which we did order but never received.

Considering that the restaurant was not even a quarter full I dread to think of the service we would have received on a busy Friday night.

3  Thank KevinO74