“Walk on by”

Zizzi - Beckenham
Ranked #27 of 113 Restaurants in Beckenham
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: At Zizzi we like to do things a little differently. We don’t do over-complicated recipes or scrimpy portion sizes. We’re all about the well-chosen ingredients, simply put together to make exceptional Italian food.Centrally located, right next to the cinema, our designers were inspired by the musical legend who called Beckenham home back in the 70’s: David Bowie. The lively restaurant is perfect for a quick bite to eat or a family day out. Dine al fresco with an outdoor dining area for sunny weather. And if you’re celebrating something special, see if our private dining area is right for you.
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Tried to eat here at the weekend, ignored whilst we waited for a table but overheard dinners behind us in the queue that were acknowledged who were told it was a 40 minute wait as they were short staffed. Every aspect of the service if first impressions last were terrible, definitely needs a new manager, or one who can manage a "busy" resturant in Beckenham. Go next door, where there is another Italian food chain, seated and fed immediately. No excuse for such poor service

1  Thank Sun-Seeker-Sun-Lover

Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Now we're not retaurant snobs at all, and often eat in Pizza Express and Zizzi's. But the service we got in Zizzi's today was simply awful. A main course of skinny pizza claimed to be loaded with toppings and it was not. We asked for extra toppings and were given a cold salad. At no point did any of the staff ask how the meal was and we were left with dirty plates on our table for about 20 mins. Will never eat in this branch again.

1  Thank GST2003
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I went to Zizzi for a late lunch with my girlfriend on the last Friday before Christmas. It wasn't too busy, and there were a few couples with young children as you'd expect at the time of day in this neck of the woods.

Upon arrival we were attended to promptly, and we had a choice of tables so we sat near the window. It was pleasantly warm in the restaurant, and cold out.

Our waitress came over and we ordered a bottle of house Prosecco (£22). She opened this and poured a glass for each of us and then left the bottle on the table. She took our order for a couple of plates of pasta (each just shy of £10) and some olives (to go with the wine).

The olives did not materialise, so we went up to the counter to ask about them, and they confirmed that we'd ordered them. These were then delivered to the table at the same time as our pasta.

I'd chosen linguini with a sausage and arrabiata sauce and my girlfriend the chunky rigatoni carbonara. The food was hot, the arrabiata not too spicy (although I'd been warned that it was quite spicy) and pleasant enough 6/10 - 7/10.

Unfortunately however, I hadn't been given a spoon, just the knife and fork on the table, and as I was hungry I tucked in, confident that my skills with a fork would be sufficient to avoid making too much mess. I was sadly mistaken. There's a time and a place for splashing a lady in the face with your hot sauce, and, as it turns out, Friday afternoon in Zizzi is neither! I also managed to liberally splatter my sauce all over my shirt, shirt sleeves, glass of prosecco, with a couple of haphazardly distributed drops also on my napkin.

Shortly after this, our waitress popped over to see if all was OK, so I asked for a spoon, which was speedily brought over, but by this time the damage was done!

The plates were not so speedily removed after we'd finished eating, and so we placed them on a vacant table next to us, allowing easier access to the olives, but having eaten our main course, they were no longer quite as appetising as they might have been.

We would have stayed for a panacotta, but the waitress came over to ask during a 30 second call I had to take from work, of the 15 minutes or so we'd had since being given the dessert menu, but despite being asked to come back in a minute, she'd obviously had other duties to attend to (although there were still only a sprinkling of customers) and after another 10 minutes when she did, we opted for our bill instead.

By this time the Prosecco bottle had long since started to acclimatise to the cosy room temperature which had warmed it sufficiently, allowing the more acidic notes to dominate.

Thankfully our bill did not include service (as we were less than a party of 8), so we simply didn't leave a tip. We did discuss leaving a 20p tip, but felt that would have been ruder, so opted for 0.

To summarise then, we had fairly good food food, which was a little over-priced for what it was, let down by a string of service faults. If Zizzi management are reading this, perhaps some training issues could be raised?

1. Bottles of sparkling vino like to stay cold. Many of your contemporaries provide some sort of a wine chilling facility at the table.
2. Olives really shouldn't be served with the main course.
3. Linguini/spaghetti dishes are best eaten with a fork and a spoon, not a knife and fork, and cutlery should be suitably adjusted without prompting from the customers.
4. Prompt removal of finished plates is appreciated by many customers.
5. Please look into who has your cleaning contract, as I'm told that the ladies loo was somewhat less than entirely pleasant.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Have been a Zizzi restaurant goer for quite some time. The foods always been good, but they seem to have uped their game recently. Had a first class meal a few days ago. Great service and exceptional food

1  Thank Steve H
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Have been many times and have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful pluses the foo always good. When I went to day they had a new menu with some new dishes on it which happens every so often which is also good. I have also found this restaurant to have a good atmosphere to it and I will be back again soon.

1  Thank Ian P