“Just a place to unwind but not value for money.”
Review of Turi Beach Resort

Turi Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Nongsa
Singapore, Singapore
“Just a place to unwind but not value for money.”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Booked TIRTA PREMIER BEACHFRONT directly through their website:

Prepayment : SGD 14.32. Balance payable at hotel : SGD 158.93.
However, was charged SGD 14.32 + 170.79 when bill arrives!

On arrival, there's a van to fetch us to the hotel in 5 mins. A ginger welcome drink. Waited till 1:30pm for the room, and was given the lowest level corner room. Was extremely disappointed, as it lacks both seaview and poolview. Went back to counter to ask for a change. This time round, was given a third level room at the very opposite end, with a partial seaview and no poolview. Ok, forget it, so much for the so called "beach front". Seems that the staff is being biased, as a caucasian/indonesian couple besides us checking in was given room that smacks in the middle, which has both seaview and beachview. What's more, the resort is low in occupancy when we went there. The plus point is that the room has a high ceiling, giving it a spacious feeling. The bath room floor is dirty, and there are ants. The basin is tilted sideways, and looks as if it's going to break and topple anytime.

Besides lazing in the the pool, there are other beach activities offered, such as parasailing, snorkeling, etc. The beaches aren't clean. Don't mistook them for black stones, they are actually oil blobs. Dinner was a huge disappointment. S$25pax for seafood buffet. The prawns and small crabs don't taste fresh and has a soggy feel to it. Should have tried the japanese restaurant beside it.

The 1.5 hr massage costs S$150 for 2 persons. When asked about the different types of massage, the explanation was simple. For xyz massage, we use thumbs. For abc massage, we use thumbs and elbows. For def massage, we use palms. Ok, you get the picture! The massage on the whole is rather good, with strong "presses".

On the whole, the room allocation and food could be improved.

Room Tip: As the rooms start from 1 to 16, and the floors from 1-4, choose the ones in the middle as they offe...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beesk
Palmesano1965, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you very much for your time and comments. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the inconvenience caused during your stay. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at antonio@nongsaresorts.com and I will make sure that we provide you with a satisfactory and personalized feedback. Sincerely yours. Antonio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
rainmoonearth
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I was pleased that the resort was just a five-minute drive from Nongsa Ferry terminal... so coming over from Singapore's Tanah Merah was a piece of cake. Plus the terminal was pretty quiet and efficient. The resort isn't super luxurious or anything, but it is clean and comfortable. The rooms are spacious (in the old wing - new wing was under construction at the time this was written). The pool/bar area is really relaxing and pleasant. There was another, older pool with a bar in it. That was under renovation along with the new rooms on that side... Looks like it could be a while before it opens. Our rooms despite facing the pool were quiet and had a lovely balcony to relax. You do need mozzie spray so don't forget that! Down by the pool, there is a bar with some bar-type snacks (wings, fries etc) and there are gazebos dotted around. They are lovely to just chill in... especially if there's bit of rain. The pool is also a nice size and the lounge chairs/towel situation is very comfortable.
In terms of food, the dishes are around $15+ each. Breakfast was part of our package and had a big selection of local items (noodles, fried rice etc.) The usual eggs etc were also available. The food isn't super amazing, but it's quite yummy. Ok for a couple of days. Just be open to paying quite a lot for something that you can get in a hawker for a third of the price.
We didn't really take part in any activities in the sea... but there are a lot of options. The sea itself isn't as murky as I thought it would be... though I'm not sure I'd want to really hang out in it if I'm not doing a specific activity (like jet skiing or something.) But it's ok because the pool which is right next door is really pleasant... and there's grassy grounds surrounding it which gives it an expansive, open feel.
What would I bring:
Mozzie spray
Snacks - There's a "mini mart" at the next resort about 10 minutes walk away. But the shop at Turi doesn't have a good selection and it's overpriced.
Water - again, unless you want to drink the mineral they supply which is a random Indonesian brand, or walk to the shop, I would bring some.
What to do:
Sleep. The beds are super comfy. The rooms are spacious. You don't feel like you're missing out on any great seascapes/activities. It's a lovely place to just chillax. Also in the gazebos by the pool/sea.
Water sports if you're really into it/wanna brave the sea.
Swim - lovely pool.
Booze - you get one litre from Singapore duty free and you can take half-open bottles home. The cocktails/selection at the resort isn't great. Especially the wine.
Spa - I had a massage that was included with my deal. Not sure I'd pay for a massage if it wasn't included. The spa is big, and the service is decent. It's clean. The ginger tea is AWESOME.
All in all, I would go back if I just want a break from the city, and to relax and sleep and chill by a nice pool all day.

Room Tip: The lobby is on the fourth floor. So if you want a room that you can walk to from that floor (in the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank rainmoonearth
It is our aim to provide a remarkable experience while we acknowledge and appreciate all your observations. They have been shared amongst the relevant teams and individually reviewed for action and improvement. Please accept my sincere apologies for not providing you with the expected experience. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at antonio@nongsaresorts.com next time you plan a leisure break in Turi Beach Resort. Sincerely yours. Antonio
Singapore
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Me and my friend booked 4 Tiarta rooms from Agoda. We reached the hotel at 9.15am Batam time and check-in. As rooms will only be ready by noon, we went out and came back at 4pm. Then Hotel said there are no more rooms available!!!!! They said they will transfer us to Nongsa Point, a hotel just next door. They gave us 2 villas (2 bedroom each). But I had checked the prices before. We paid more for Turi Beach than if we were to book Nongsa Point directly. They are downgrading us!! And we cannot do anything about it. They can only compensate us via free lunch. Hotel had the audacity to say they cannot guarantee us the room we booked if we booked online! FACT is they are overbooked.
And the rooms at Nongsa were terrible. See my review on Nongsa Point.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank hlmh
Palmesano1965, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
We very much appreciate your time and feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the inconvenience caused to you and your friends. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at antonio@nongsaresorts.com and I will make sure that you are not disappointed again. Sincerely yours. Antonio
Singapore City, null, Singapore
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Bought this from dealssg.com. Went with 2 of my close friends to celebrate her birthday. For the price that we paid, I would say that it was definitely value for money..

Do not expect those 5-star kind of hotels condition. However, I have to say the standard of service was pretty good. From the reception to the bellboy, everyone greeted us and seems like they were happy to see us.

The best part of this trip was actually the food. It was splendid.. Words are not enough to describe. You gotta eat it to believe..

Altogether, I would probably rate this 3.8/5..

Would I return again? Maybe, if they did a major renovation to the hotel..
Other than that, everything else was fine..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nadya M
Thank you very much for your time and kind comments. Glad to welcome you back in Turi Beach Resort once Riani Wing upgrading program is completed in early 2013 to experience the new premier accommodation. Cheers. Antonio
Reviewed October 25, 2012

(Please note travel date: 8/6/2011 - 8/8/2011, am compiling my reviews on agoda to tripadvisor)

stayed at new wing, the rooms are not that new cos it was renovated quite sometime ago. scratches and stains on the floors, some mould in the bathroom but overall all is still good, everything worked well and rooms are cleaned daily. we had a good time. this place is 98% singaporean visitors (we are from sin), so it is just a skip and a hop away for us. so not a place to go if you are looking for cheap food/get away from singaporeans. even their cable tv has sin fta channels!! everything is charged in sgd, no need to bring rupiah :> food is good, i recommend alacarte indonesian fare & the teppanyaki rather than the usual buffet stuff. good variety for breakfast, includes american spread plus asian spread (prata was featured when i was there). massage was decent enuf - about sgd70++ per pax inclusive tax. services - ok, you get what you ask for. overall i'm satisfied with the hotel & recommend friends to stay there. lift - this is the only resort i went to that has a lift/elevator, gives u a vantage point of the surroundings when you are at the 4th floor lift lobby.

Dislike: A family that brought their mahjong set and was playing mahjong at night at their veranda!

Room Tip: Tip: Beach aint that great for swimming, but we did take some great pictures.
1 Thank GLEE76
This is to show my appreciation for taking the time to provide us with your stay feedback. We are currently re-polishing the tiles in every room in Tirta Wing to remove all built-in stains during the construction of the rooms. In addition, the new room division team has increase the frequency of the preventative maintenance cycle to minimize any other maintenance related notes. We took good note of the remaining comments and share them with the respective teams. With best regards. Antonio
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Hi, my gf and I visited Turi Beach Resort for a night on 8th Aug 12 in celebration of our anniversary. As wanted to give her a surprise (i.e gifts & gazebo dinner), i contacted Turi Beach (emails) for some enquries and planing. The communication lasted about 1 month or so, with each email promptly and extending to pre-arrange my presents to deliver to batam in advance. On the day itself, received a warm greeting from the Turi Beach management which made me and my gf really felt like V.I.P guests (HaHa). We were arranged to level 1 room steps away from the pool, however we wanted more quiet and privacy time, we requested for a change of room. Which was swiftly arranged by the front desk. After settling down in the well maintain & modern looking room, we went for the resort water sports (banana boat & jet ski). It was fun and safe (ensure our live vast was buckled up & secure). Next on, it was the planned dinner (dining on the beach)...We would rate it Romantic-5 Food-5 Value-5, there was even a nicely-dressed waiter serving us throughout. Not to mentioned the love music(purposely arranged) & complementary wine to further enhance our dinner to perfection! Definitely, a class different from others beach resort in Batam... Lastly to Turi Beach's GM, F&B manager & many others, thanks for the sincere and excellent hospitality! We really had a great & memorable stay, will surely re-visit soon...

Room Tip: Rooms located in Tirta wings are a better choice...
4 Thank Samuel2105
Thank you very much for your kind comments… greatly appreciated. It was a pleasure to organize your anniversary. Look forward to have you back with us in our newly upgraded Riani Suites including “Jacuzzi For Two” in your next anniversary. Hasta pronto. Antonio
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We visited Turi Beach for 2 nights for a break from Singapore.

The reception was very nice, well organised, all you want.

We were "upgraded" (read on) but also told that there would be no water from 11AM to 5PM.

Ok, no probem, can happen so we spend the day at the pool...

By 5PM, there was water, but not from the shower. Come 5:20 PM you call reception, leave a message, wait for 20 minutes, nothing happens, go back to reception in person, find out that they don't have a clue ... "operator may not have told us sir" ... in any case, when technicians arrive, it turn out that the shower is simply worn out .. so the advise is to jiggle the water knob until something comes out, then obviously you spend 15 minutes jiggling until you get an acceptable hot/cold mix.

In the room, also the safe was not working, needed another fix. And when opening the bed in the evening we found stains (not big, but nevertheless) on the sheets.

Moving on, it is the details that keep on piling up which spoil what would have been a great break.

The pool is fantastic, the surroundings also but ... examples of details ..

- The staff seems very abundant but sleepy. They just hang at the pool bar but seem to manage never to look in the direction of a customer. If fact at some occasions I walked over and they were actually sleeping with their head on their arms on the counter.

- Pricing; I asked for double shot of gin in a gin fizz. Gin is 8 S$, Gin FIzz is 12 S$. For a double shot of gin they needed to call management ?!? And the price went from 12 to 24 S$. Excuse me ??? 12 + 8 is 20 in my book.

- The towel boy. Is there, then disappears for hours. So a customer arrives, no one there, you walk over to the bar, they wake up, they will call the towel boy. Now you stand for another 15 minutes in the sun waiting for him to show up. The towel boy could have passed on his key to the bar staff when he leaves ... as backup ??? Maybe ??? To complicated probably.

- Towels again ... day 1 and day 2 ... 2 towels per person ... no problem ... day 3 the policy has suddenly changed ... only 1 towel per person ... why ??? No one knows ...

- The Island bar and setup ... the pier is closed off in the middle. Signs warn the customer not to lean against the railing. So basically it is falling apart and in real need of repair. And indeed when you inspect in detail, wooden pillars are rotting away.

- The Island bar ... for 2 drinks ... they needed to write 3 paper tabs in detail, I needed to sign 3 tabs ... inefficiency to the top.

- Cleanliness ... I understand it can be problem of the monkeys going through the bins but in many cases also the littering is not kept under control.
Cigarette buds on or near the beach, paper, empty drink bottles, next to our room entrance there was an small empty shampoo bottle which was there for 2 days. Also, on the balcony of our room, when we arrived, there was a table that had served many heavy drinking & smoking nights, filthy, with an ash tray which had not been cleaned out (really cleaned out, emptied maybe)

Striking example ... at the lobby, the face of the resort, there are beautifully arranged giant water pots overflowing. But in the 5 cm deep water there I saw an AA battery rotting away and also some computer paper at the bottom. How come no one from the staff notices this and simply cleans it up.

- Food ... breakfast was ok, but we see the same thing happening. There is 4-5 staff hanging around ... but no one serves coffee. The customer has to walk over to the coffee stand, pick up the pot, walk to table, fill your own cup (which by the way you had to bring there yourself in the first place) and then put the coffee pot back.

- Food ... Indonesion food for dinner is ok, not bad, not a high flyer either

- Food ... Japanese restaurant. This gets an excellent from us. Was really good.

- Tspa ... Also an excellent. Massage well done, nice, calm experience.

So all in all ... Turi Beach ... get your act together.

All the ingredients are there for high marks. But someone over there does get what customer service and experience means. Smiles are always there, friendly, that is not the issue.

But delivery, cleanliness, overdue maintenance (like that silly shower tab in our rooms which should have been replaced probably more than 1 year ago) are letting the place down.

So only a poor rating I am afraid.

The Riana wing (one half of the resort) was being refurbished as we visited. So were we in a part of the resort place that will undergo the next refurbishing effort? Who knows ... but in any case it does not explain any of the many other disturbances.

5 Thank devege
It is our aim to provide a remarkable experience while we acknowledge and appreciate all your observations. They have been shared amongst the relevant teams and individually reviewed for action and improvement. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the inconvenience caused. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at antonio@nongsaresorts.com next time you plan a leisure break in Turi Beach Resort and I will make sure that we enhance your experience. Sincerely yours. Antonio
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nongsa
Nongsa Point Marina & Resort
Montigo Resorts Nongsa
HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront
HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront
#2 of 2 in Waterfront City

Been to Turi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!