“Unprofessional management”

Montigo Resorts Nongsa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nongsa
“Unprofessional management”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Our group of 5 arrived smoothly and checked into the resort without a glitch, until we were told to pay S$200 for a key deposit. We were a but taken aback as this is not a small amount and was not communicated beforehand. We paid it and proceeded to the villa.

The amenities like toiletries, towel, bathrobes, even blanket and pillow were not provided for the 5th person. Our friend had to sleep using an extra towel as a blanket as they did not bring it. When we asked them for the blanket on the second day, they told us that we needed to pay extra for it. This is wrong as it is a basic amenity that we already paid for with the 5th person charge. We demanded it and they brought it finally.

We called to get an extra cup, plate, bowl, etc for the 5th person, and the staff would come bringing one or two items at a time. Our doorbell was ringing every 5-10 minutes for a number of times, disturbing us and leaving us questioning the communication and quality of the management.

What took the cake was when we called at night to double-check if there was a booking for our group on the shuttle bus to Nagoya. We asked if our names were on the shuttle bus list and told to hold, and the staff came back telling us that there is a shuttle for 8am, 10am, 12pm and coming back at 6pm. We therefore booked ourselves on the 12pm bus. The next day, to out horror, we arrived at the lobby to find out there is no such shuttle, and had to take a cab to Nagoya. The matter was handled very unprofessionally by a few staff, who did not explain what that other shuttle bus communicated to us was. Worse still, they did not even try to rectify our anger and disbelief by offering to pay for the cab as it was their mistake. Our spirits were dampened but we agreed to take the 4pm shuttle bus back from Nagoya. But we felt so insecure that we alighted the cab to double check if we were really booked on that shuttle bus. True enough, we were not and the matter was again dealt with in a confusing, puzzling manner. It was a huge disappointment and downside to our trip.

Another unprofessional issue was, the deposit was not returned to is at check-out. We left the counter after the staff said we had no additional charges and nodded her head, closing the conversation. Only much later when we were still in the resort did we remember the deposit, and were struck by how they had not offered to return it. What if we had taken the ferry immediately after checkout? This is unacceptable and there was no apology made when we went back. Instead, the manager even joked that good thing we were still around if not he has to mail us the cheque. Unbelievable. After these major goof-ups, we arrived at the ferry terminal preparing our hearts for another goof-up if the resort had not helped us change our ferry time and ended up stranded. By this time, we knew it was not impossible that they would commit such a major mistake again.

The ground staff of this resort are sincere, efficient and doing a good job. However, there are some serious and unacceptable issues in this resort like communication and management of guest services. It marred our stay and one of our friends was so unhappy she will not come back again.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank powertothepple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

What a mess.I order some food but it takes 30 minutes and i cant eat that.Are you Indonesian realy love to added lots of salt?
Your room,price and the others are fine except your food.FIX IT otherwise I will suggested my family and all of my friends to stay on other hotels.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Mathew_Luthem
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

My family and I checked into this hotel for 2D1N and were absolutely in love with it.
Check-in was pretty smooth and service staff were remarkably polite.

We were early for about an hr and our villa was not ready for check-in which is at 3pm. We had our lunch at their in-house restaurant. The manager was at our service and extremely helpful. The food, taste-wise would really depend on individuals and their preference.

Our villa was ready promptly and we had a buggy to take us to it. Ours was a sea-front villa and it was breath-takingly massive and gorgeous. I was very glad that my trip had 4 adults and 2 kids, otherwise, one villa would be too massive for a family of 4!

The rooms were at the entrance level in our case which is the 2nd floor. The master bedroom was huge and both rooms were overlooking the sea. The toilets were spacious too.

On level 1, there was a small kitchen area and a huge living and dining area. There was also an indoor pool, much to our delight! At first, I was a little worried if it would be unsafe for my toddler. But there is a sliding door to prevent the children from venturing to the pool on their own.

One level 3, its the rooftop with a mediterranian concept. Unfortunately, it was raining the 1st day we arrived and the canvas cushions were all stacked upwards. On a good weather, the rooftop would have been great for chit-chatting and games and with a good view! But beware of lizards!

In one word, the villa was awesome!

Breakfast was also good and they had a good spread. The kids had a good paly area too.

I checked out the spa and had my Montigo Massage done. My daughter had her 1st experience at the spa too as they offered spa for kids. Both of us truly enjoyed our massage.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Hanaz M
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

This is my 2nd time at Montigo within 6 months and my expectations of the resort were definitely higher as my initial visit was fantastic. We arrived at the ferry terminal at around 9.45am and there was a staff who greeted us. He escorted us to the minivan and told us that we had to wait a little while for other guests. By the time we reached the resort, it was 10.15am and we had missed the 10am shuttle bus to Nagoya Hill.

When we alighted from the minivan, a Korean lady staff told us to go down the steps to check in. We did as we were told, with nobody coming down with us. All I see is an empty area that looked like a restaurant with staffs busy cleaning up. Nobody came to us and greeted us. We stood there for about 5 minutes, not knowing what we should do. I walked up and asked the Korean lady that aren't we supposed to check in at the counters upstairs. She said no, check in is done downstairs and because the other guest had a baby, they were allowed to check in upstairs. Reasonable, but nobody bothered to greet us while we were standing around downstairs. It was a bad start for me.

Finally, an Indonesian lady by the name of Illia/Illie (sorry I can't remember her name exactly) greeted us with a warm smile and handed us cold towels and some tea, while she processed our check in. She helped us book a taxi to Nagoya Hill as our room was not ready.

We got into our villa rather late at about 7.30pm. I asked for a late check out and Francesca at the front desk granted the latest 1pm and asked us to call tomorrow morning to check if we could extend it further. Our villa was no. 11, a hilltop villa and everything was the same. It was still drizzling, so we couldn't go up to the balcony or swim in the private pool. We played some Wii though. We needed to cut some fruits that we bought back but the staff offered to do it for us, which was a nice gesture. The iPhone dock was not working in our villa and they got it changed for us pretty quickly. That was good.

We called in the morning to extend our checkout time as our ferry was at 4.30pm but they said the latest was 2pm. Any later than that will be an additional charge of $50++ per hour. Breakfast in the morning was good. Not fantastic, but good enough. There were 2 egg stations and both of the chefs have different standards of cooking the same thing - scrambled egg. We spent some time at our villa swimming and went down to the main swimming pool too.

We called for the buggy at 2pm exactly but no one came after 20-25 minutes. We called them again and reminded them that we are due to check out at 2pm. They finally came within 5 minutes. We checked out and decided to stay around the lobby till our transport came to send us to the ferry terminal. To our surprise, 2 other groups of fellow Singaporeans checked out even later than us with no extra charge. This is surprising as the staff told us that they are fully booked and only could extend our checkout latest 2pm.

All in all, I would say that the second visit was definitely not as fantastic as my first visit. I feel like the personal touches have all faded away. There's lesser interpersonal interaction between the staff and guests. Not sure if it's because the resort is becoming busier since the last time I visited, they were in the soft opening phase. Will I return? Yes, I will. It's great value for money for a short getaway. But I do think services need to be improved.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank butterandfly
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

Our second visit to Montigo Nongsa, and it was so much better than the first.

Villa is better cleaned, furniture looks well maintained, staff more effecient, always friendly too.

Stayed two nights and booked through an agent, turns out if book direct we can get better rates, so a tip here.

Upon arrival was greeted by Faizal and escorted to the shuttle. Check-in was smooth, and fast. Arrieved early morning and thus had the chance to join a 10am shuttle to Nagoya. No issue.

Dinner in villa, the in-villa dining food taste is somewhat a downgrade than our first visit though. Breakfast was great, more options, better taste, efficient staff.

Private pool was clean, housekeeping not very thorough, forgot to replenish amenities, but appreciate the evening turndown service, which was not existent few months back.

All staff were friendly, no exception, so it was quite pleasant. Check-out buggy was abit slow, had to remind twice. Probably raining and thus busier. During check-out, realized they charged one extra item into my bill, but was quickly sorted out when I pointed it out. So no issue there.

Overall, 4-star out of 5, an improvement than my first review (3-star). Still not perfect, but nice stay nevertheless. Cheers.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank HYY_T
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

I had gone to Montigo Resort on 25Nov 2013 with absolutely low or no expectations affter reading the reviews.It was such a refreshing wonderful experience drastic from the bad reviews here,We were greeted with smiles and a tasty welcome drink,and it was fantastic from there on.Staff such as Sadri and sam the driver that picked us up fm the ferry to the beaming attentive wait staff at our breakfast made our holiday a bright, breezy happy one.The villa was outrageously luxurious and it felt like we were in greece or spain not Batam! White clean lines ,so relaxing and the view is spectacular.There is a private pool and WII games plus complimentary soft drinks n keropok which the kids love.Stove n microwave and the best spacious rooftop ever.The buggy will magically appear at the door when u call to go anywhere.The staff are so helpful with your shopping bags and everything was perfect.Will definitely return here and thank you Montigo Resort and the staff who makes our stay so special

Room Tip: Hillside view room is cheaper but the view is no different then seafront,The view is still amazing.W...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review

I have shared your review with our team. I am glad that we were able to deliver a memorable experience.

Looking forward to your return and wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2014.

Sincerely yours
Aloysius Michael
Montigo Resorts Nongsa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Been to Bali, Phuket & Bintan. If you've been to enough of these resorts, there are differences in each and every one of them. Culture & Spa in Bali, Activities at Club Med, Golf, Spa etc.

So I was looking for a place to getaway with the kids. Priced Club Med Bintan at 2x the price with a much smaller accommodation. Let's get the bad out of the way, the place isn't perfect, there are signs of wear and tear. The family fun package was ok-ish. The 1 hour bicycle ride couldn't happen cause my 6 year old was too short for the kids bicycle. Maybe a four person bicycle like the ones at East Coast would have been the right fit. Downtown Batam is about 40mins away by car. there's only 1 restaurant for breakfast and lunch. 2 for Dinner. The Kids Club was alright, more suited for under 5 year olds? My kids didn't fancy it. There are mosquitos and ants here and there.

Other than that, if you factor in the cost of the airfare to these nearby resorts, the overall value is there. Get past the slight imperfections, the villa is modern and massive, more than enough for 4 pax. The rooms are nice and comfortable. Somehow I arrived at about 12pm local time, the staff was there to pick us up and just a quick 5 min drive. I got my room straight away, so no waiting about. I had no issues with the buggies being too slow, the service was prompt and everyone was superbly friendly. Prices for meals weren't super expensive like other resorts. Not cheap but I'd say reasonable. Free soft drinks replenished every day. The swimming pool beside the restaurant was more than adequate and kid friendly. Maybe it was because it was a weekday, but I felt like I owned the place, no crowds or noisy kids. Maybe only my noisy kids. The 30 min foot massage in my family fun package was nice.

So if you don't live in a large apartment or have a nice view at home. And you want to just hang out and pretend to live like the folks at Sentosa Cove for a couple of days. Have a nice private pool within your villa. It's not awesome but its close enough.

Room Tip: All villas have a unblocked view. Any will do.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank danielocs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nongsa
Radisson Golf & Convention Center Batam
HARRIS Hotel Batam Center
HARRIS Hotel Batam Center
#2 of 11 in Batam Center
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,418 reviews

Been to Montigo Resorts Nongsa? Share your experiences!