“A little gem”

Stella Resort
London, United Kingdom
“A little gem”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This little resort is in a perfect location for exploring Sam Roi Yot National Park. We had a car so were easily able to travel around but it may not be so easy if you didn't.

The individual bungalows are well equipped with a large, fully stocked fridge, a flat screen, wall mounted TV with satellite and tea and coffee making facilities. There is also a small private terrace with a sun bed, table and chairs. The small swimming pool is nice to cool down in.

When we were there renovations were happening to the restaurant area so there was a little bit of upheaval but this will be a big improvement when it's finished which shouldn't be too long now.

Breakfast was very nice and consisted of toast, hams, cheeses, cereals and eggs.

The best part about this resort though is the owners, Jan and his wife, who couldn't do enough for you and went out of their way to make the stay enjoyable. If I was coming back to this area I would stay here again.

Jan has a bar along the beach that we went to in the evening. The drinks were good and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Wow Charlie- your review is harsh. You must be from America where you feel entitled, but in reality can't get a cheap dirty motel room for 40 bucks (1200 THB) and feel it is your right to complain about small things. You obviously didn't do your homework- Stella is listed on google maps and shows their exact location. If you wanted beachfront 5 star accommodations you should have stayed in Hua Hin or some other part of Thailand such as Phuket and spent more than 40 bucks.

We stayed at Stella and found the owner and his wife to be the most friendly and accommodating people, who went out of their way for us to make our vacation better than we ever expected. We planned to stay for a week and stayed for three. Loved every minute and had the best vacation ever.

Thai people call you "Cheap Charlie" (Really! Even if your name isn't actually Charlie.) You found the best price in Sam Roi Yod and booked it regardless of location. You have the audacity to moan about a family run resort, complete with dogs, expecting five star service for 40 of your precious USD.

Dogs will be dogs. Chewing shoes is what they do. If you were smart you would have taken them off your feet and carried them inside for the night.The amount that the owner offered you would have replaced your sandals with a top quality pair of Thai brand (Remember- average wage in this country is less than 300 USD per rmonth), and you could have gone home with an amusing story instead of an attitude. It must suck being you.

My wife and I will be going back to Stella for the third time later this year, and we are already crossing off the days on our calendar. The care that they give- on the resort and at their beach bar is exactly what any person who knows Thailand could hope for.

I'd suggest that you stick to the "brand name" hotels and resorts next time, or go to somewhere other than Thailand. US Virgin Islands come to mind. Pay the top dollar - 200 to 300 USD per night - and do your homework first before you book.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sam R
Beijing, China
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were excited to stay at Stella resort because of the good reviews it got, but after staying there, I don't understand. There are plenty of nice resorts on the beach, about a 10 minute scooter ride away, that look much more inviting and are around the same price.

The hotel is pretty secluded, but not in a nice, romantic or family holiday way. Secluded as in, nothing is around, you need your own transportation to eat or get to the beach or to the park.

The "resort" is overpriced. Its a small plot of land in a residential area with a few bungalows on it. For the price, I expected much more of the room. The bed was uncomfortable. The shower (and sink) didn't work when we got there and we had to ask the owner to turn the water on for us. Once he did, it wasn't very good water pressure and we were told not to use much water. The room didn't have any views and was a bit dark. I didn't understand why there weren't more windows.

The hotel is away from the beach. There is nothing to do in the immediate vicinity. Going to the beach would be a very very long walk. Same for going to the park.

We rented a scooter from the owner. It was in poor condition, making riding on it a bit nerve racking (and we have rented scooters all across Asia). The owner gave us his insider tip on where to go -- the exact same tip that is covered in all the guide books and the reason we came -- but then he gave us the wrong directions!

I wouldn't stay here again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I was kicking myself when we went for dinner -- a scooter ride away by the beach -- because of all the great housing options there, with plenty of activities and restaurants within a few minutes walk.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank liveinchina
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed here in March 2013 to check out the Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park and was terribly disappointed with my experience. First, the lodging is far over priced for what I got (I paid THB1200 or ~$40). The room was ok, clean and A/C worked, but wifi didn't work in the room and the bed wasn't very comfortable. Second, the location is a 5 km/3 miles away from the beach and down a bad gravel road.

Last, when I awoke and walked outside to put on my sandals (which the owner asked me to take off and leave on the porch) I found one of my sandals in the yard with the straps completely chewed to shreds by the owner's dog. When I show the sandals to the owner, he stares at me blankly and asks "what to do?" I say I bought the sandals for $40 in America and he says that I paid way too much and that you can get sandals for THB200 (~$6-7) in Thailand. I asked him to compensate me for them and he suggested I get them fixed as "Thai people can fix everything". He didn't seem to realize his dog had eaten significant portions of my sandal. In the end all he gave me was essentially a THB250 ($8.50) credit to my bill. The owner's attitude was not a "service oriented, trying to fix the problem and please the customer" kind of attitude, but rather very much of a "screw the customer, minimize how much I will have to pay" attitude.

tl;dr - okay place until there is a problem, overpriced, bad location far from beach, owner doesn't value customers' possessions

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
#22 of 136 in Hua Hin
The Privacy Beach Resort & Spa
The Privacy Beach Resort & Spa
#7 of 12 in Sam Roi Yot

Been to Stella Resort? Share your experiences!