“Best Place to rest from tried day, but hardly to get the place”
Review of Onusa Retreat

Onusa Retreat
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I went there on week end. It was a bit hard to find the place. May be we didn't familiar with pranburi area. It wasn't many sign to tell how to go. Also, my GPS was very useless. Then after an hour to find the place, we arrived and very surprised how wonderful and unique of this place. The and lobby like a home, then I got the villa 4 which is,beach front. Very beautiful but small. The pool was great. Very clean and big enough to swim. But at night time, recommend to use something to protect from mosquito. The breakfast was great by order 2 choices between American Breakfast and Thai Breakfast. I am definitely recommend the people who wanna leave from people and love good air. Away HuaHin is the place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
Away H, Manager at Onusa Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Donnie1703,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience staying at Away Hua Hin on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for bringing up some valid points.

Getting to our property is an issue that we are in the process of addressing- we are awaiting the completion of road works on the Samroiyod National Park entrance road, but will be adding more signs to help guests to find us.
At night time, it can be frustrating as the local roads are poorly lit, making spotting our signs difficult.

Mosquitos are our number one enemy at Away, as we are set in amongst a tropical garden and surrounded by wetlands and farmland.

We continually look at ways to reduce the numbers of mosquitos such as the use of natural repellants and insect coils.

Thank you again and we hope to see you back at Away Hua Hin.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Onusa Retreat

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I am an American who has lived in Thailand for 11 years. My best friend here in Thailand has been running a bicycle tour business in Thailand for 12 years. He has seen just about every corner of Thailand...twice. When I told him I was getting married an asked him if he had any thoughts for a perfect venue, he did immediately replied "Away"--he could not have been more correct. I am not sure what, if anything, more I should say. At the risk of having been better off saying nothing more: our wedding (traditional Thai) started early morning on Saturday, 23 March 2013. The wedding party had arrived the day before and we all booked out the entire hotel. Perfect setting and as the traditional (but luxurious) teakwood bungalows are all separate, it gave us all a feeling of being at a home together but just enough privacy/space for all. There were about 25 people in the wedding party who stayed at there, about 100 attended the wedding in morning and well over 150 attended the reception/party that evening. The wedding party stayed the night of before, of and after there at the resort. Breakfast was served by Away each morning, included in the room price and they worked happily and seamlessly with our outside caters and for the other major meals and drinks. Away's service was just right, always there but you never knew it unless you needed it, this was not only my experience but what I heard from all family and friends. Finally, I cannot believe you could EVER beat the value for money for any stay or particularly for any such event. I know I am a bit biased, but I am well aware of what folks have paid for weddings in Bangkok, for that matter in the US...this was a fraction of those for an exponentially better experience. THANKS AWAY for helping to make our wedding the truly brillant and memorable experience it should be!

Room Tip: EVERY room is excellent...but perhaps the two bunglows that open up to the beach front are particula...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Jerrold,

Once again a big Congratulations to yourself and your lovely wife.

Firstly, thank you for choosing to hold your wedding function at Away Hua Hin.

While normally we would not hold an event to such a scale as your own, it did run extremely smoothly from start to finish.

Partly to our excellent team and the careful planning by your self and your wife and her wedding planners- but also mostly in part due to the relaxed nature and flexibility you presented to us.

We could not have done it if it had not been due to this!

Both my partner and myself and all our team wish you all the best in your lives together and look forward to seeing you again at Away in the near future.

Sincerest Regards,
The Management

Reviewed April 8, 2013

After a trip to Bangkok, my fiancée and I reserved this hotel for two nights looking for a gettaway. My first impression was so good that after I arrived, I decided to extend our stay for another night, which happened to be an excellent decision. There are many things I liked about the hotel: design and elegance, size (around 6 rooms only), food (the soups are fresh and tasty), price of the services are fair, swimming pool with salt water and low chlorine and the beach is clean and calm.

In addition, the staff and the manager deserves a special reference: A few minor things we pointed to the staff were immediately addressed, the manager was really kind and friendly - felt like I was staying in a friends property -, and the most memorable part: In our departure day, we needed to leave the hotel at 4:30 am. The manager woke us up, prepared a special breakfast to go and monitored the taxi driver - who happened to be sleeping - to make sure we would arrive in time at the airport. Bravo!

Room Tip: We stayed in two different rooms: The big one with sea view and the courtyard. They were both very c...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Away H, Owner at Onusa Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Thardman,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Away Hua Hin on Trip Advisor.

Like quite a few of our guests, once they arrive and experience the place they want to stay longer!
Pranburi is a special place and once you get a feel for it, it is addictive.

I am glad that we could help out where we could to make your stay as relaxing and comfortable as possible.

Thank you again, and we hope to see you soon at Away.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Came here for a wedding and it was an ideal location. This is a very small property, so no crowds, very cozy feel. The rooms were beautiful and mere steps from both the pool and the beach. The villas are stand alone buildings, so you don't share a wall with your neighbors, and with all the vegetation you have a lot of privacy. You can also open up the large glass doors on the front of the villas and sit on your porch to read or enjoy the sunshine.

I think there are only six units on the property- grab one if you can. Miles of empty beach to walk along, warm sea water, salt water pool...

Rooms had A/C (cold!) and free wifi. The on-site food was delicious, and you can always walk down the beach to another restaurant if you want a change of pace. Ice cream and food vendors go up and down the beach so you can grab something from one of them, too.

Will be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear HuntingtonBeach,

Thanks for sharing your holiday experience with us.

We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much.

We hope that the beach we are located on stays like this for as long as possible!

While progress is inevitable, things do seem to happen slowly here, with only small changes.

We hope to see you again soon again at Away.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We came across the Away Hua Hin following a bad experience locally and found near perfection. The welcome we received was second to none - good information, relaxed attitude to use of facilities, wonderfully friendly and helpful staff and a fabulous wooden bungalow with sea views.

We looked at a few other local hotels but couldn't find one that was as good.

If you are looking for somewhere that is quiet, child friendly but not alien to couples, good food and perfectly situated - here's your place!

Room Tip: Talk to the owner - he will offer you the best he has.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Ann K,

Thank you for taking the time to share your holiday at Away.
We are sorry to hear that you had a not so good experience staying in the area, but glad that we offered the solution.

While we don't target a specific market of couples or families, as we are so small and villas private, normally things work out so that both couples and families feel equally catered for.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again at Away.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

My husband I and spent 6 nights in October 2012 at this amazing place while visiting our son. We were looking for something quiet and remote. I chose it after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. I especially appreciated the owner responding to the few unhappy guest's comments. However, our stay was superb. The large, comfortable room was immaculate, the platform bed and linens so luxurious. And there was an amazing, private outdoor shower! There are only 6 rooms or villas, all very private and centered around the wonderful, non-chlorinated pool. I usually hate pools because of the chlorine but I swam twice a day every day. The breakfasts, whether Thai or Western, were fantastic. And you can count on excellent coffee, a must! We enjoyed 2 dinners there, which were outstanding. Great quality and ambiance. The hosts and the staff could not have been nicer! We took long walks along the beach and tried some of the local fare within walking distance. But be warned, it's spicy! And if you enjoy long walks on the beach, you will eventually end up at a stunning temple. Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Jodi587,

Thank you for taking the time to share you stay at Away Hua Hin.

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your holiday so much.
Our swimming pool is a favorite with many of guests due to its low chlorine content. Garry Cooper, the owner put a lot of thought into the pool design and being a keen swimmer himself, knew a saltwater pool was the best option.

We are also glad to read how much you enjoyed our food at Away. Our chefs try to keep everyone happy with a range of dishes. Thai Food will always however be our specialty!

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and we hope to see you again at Away.
Regards,

Reviewed January 24, 2013

My partner originally wanted somewhere in Hua Hin but faith led us to AWAY.

It was my first trip to Bangkok and found that looking for places that are not crowded is a needle in the haystack.

First thing that caught my attention is the nicely designed resort keeping in touch with the Thai heritage but with all the spoils of a modern hotel room.

There is feel of being part of a community when we stayed at AWAY. Staff were very friendly and helpful - especially for the cook who made some adjustment to the menu to cater special cravings. The other guest were also approachable and happy to share their stories and adventures. The family who owns and runs the resort were there to happily assists us in getting a rental car to explore the area, and their daughter who happily entertained my partner and I. Even the resident cats, Lulu and Ginger, were happy to approach us for a purr and a pat or two.

The icing on the cake is the deserted beach. We have a beach all to our own.

The only real downside is being able to swim at the beach due to the high possibility of being stung by Jellyfish but this is unavoidable.

All in all, a great place to escape the daily grind, romantic getaway and recharge the battery.

Just need to find a way to get AWAY again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Away H, Manager at Onusa Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear ReggieDeggie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with everybody.

We are very happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay here.

We try hard to keep the charms of Thai culture in the design of our villas with a few modern conveniences for our guests.

Our kitchen staff will always try to meet the different requirements of individual guests.

We are always happy to help with information about the area, where to go and what to see.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again at Away.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sam Roi Yot
#2 of 141 in Hua Hin
Evason Hua Hin
Evason Hua Hin
#1 of 23 in Pranburi

Been to Onusa Retreat? Share your experiences!