“It was not bad but not good either”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Kyveli Apartments

Kyveli Apartments
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Vrontados
Izmir, Turkey
“It was not bad but not good either”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel from hotels.com. One day before I went to the island I called the hotel but there was no answer.

When I arrived at the hotel there was noone at the reception. I shouted loud and long and a cleanin lady arrived. She did not speak in Enlish. Luckily I had a Greek friend with me and she talked to her. The cleaning lady told that they were opening on that day (18th April Friday - 1 day before Easter). It was 11:45 noon time.

Then I went to the hotel where my friend was staying (Pearl Bay) which was next door. I called hotels.com and the call center guy told me that he would call the hotel. He did but he could not reach any one either. Then he transferred my call to the main call center in America. The guy in America told me that he would call the hotel too. And when ge called, the receptionist had just arrived and answered the phone. And told him that they were open. It was 12:10 noon time.

The receptionist gave me the key, I checked the room. It looked ready. In the meantine the call center guy was listening to our conversation and he told me that it sounded everything was ok and he hung up.

I booked (and actually paid) for a double kingsize bed room. But the room had twin beds. When I asked for a kingsize room, the receptionist told me that only seaview rooms had double bedroom and she told me that she could not give them to me because she sold them to other customers. Since my wife and I were so tired I did not fight any longer and went to the room.

It was cold inside and air condition was not working. Not surprisingly there was not hot water too. When I talked to the receptionist, she told me that a techician would arrive at the hotel by the evening.

So we had no air condition and we had no hot water till the evening (6 at night).

The next day (saturday), we had a nice breakfest, because there was no other guests. But on Sunday morning it was very crowded and there was only two personel (one of them was the receptionist) who were frustrated. By the time we started our breakfest (10:15) they were out of cheese.

Other than my comments above, I agree with many things written in previous comments. Nice location, small but cozy pool. Nize view of mountains and a small garden from the balconies.

But they should not have welcomed us in such a way that would leave unpleasent memories about our two night stay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank aayvat

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Groningen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Experience local hospitality at this lovely small scale apartment complex. Especially Anna was very helpful and service oriented! No mass tourism here, or anywhere on the island.
The pebble beach across the street does not have beds; an air mattress might be more comfortable. Bring water shoes to protect your feet from urchin!
This lovely town has three restaurants within walking distance and a mini market.
We did not rent a car, but with a bus stop in front of the entrance you can easily reach Chios-town, and from the bus station in Chios-town you can reach all other attractions. The people at the bus station were very helpful.
The only downside was that the matresses were too hard. At the time of our visit (August), many dogs were barking all night, so we recommend bringing ear plugs.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mieke S
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I just joined trip advisor...so my review is a little late! While I married in Chios, I had my future husband and his family stay at the Kyveli- we felt it was close to our home there and close enough to the beaches and tavernas that it would be easy for them to get around.
I stayed there as well for our honeymoon.
First, it was clean and the staff were very friendly, patient ( we made multiple changes due to each family member's individual needs). The breakfast was delicious. The pool was relaxing. The views of the mountains and water are beautiful. Having a kitchen was key. For those not familiar with the area...at night there can be a lot of motorcycles (all over Chios), so it can be a little loud...for those who are sensitive to the sound or like to sleep with the terrace doors open ( for the lovely night breezes), this may bother you.
We enjoyed sitting on the terrace and taking our siestas with the doors screened, but there is also air conditioning!

Room Tip: If you are not used to the sound of motor bikes, you may not want a room in the front (even though t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank daniela d
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

We were three families. 7 adults and 4 kids so we needed a place with big rooms, kitchen, and patient staff, We had it all. Quiet enviroment was a plus. It is right next to a beach and 2 restaurants. We were happy. I wish they also had king size bed instead of twin bed for main bedroom.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the main building. It had excellent view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank berdemli
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Good location. Welcoming faces. Great value. We didn't find a hair dryer and coffee machine in the room upon arrival, and within 5 minutes they provided both. We didn't face any problem, and the rooms (double bedroom with sea view) are perfectly spacious and fairly furnished.

• Stayed August 2012
6 Thank geissa
Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

Kyveli is in the same group as the Grecian Castle. In an excellent location in front of the fishing harbour of Daskalopetra, close to the beach and a couple of good tavernas, and 10 minutes by car from Chios town (15 minutes by bus). The big plus for the Kyveli was the availability of a 3 bedded room, right on the seafront. Good standard of accommodation with very spacious rooms, a pleasant swimming pool and friendly staff. No restaurant however. I'd rate the hotel 3 star rather than the 4 it claims - it is not at the standard of the Grecian Castle.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
10 Thank cal88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vrontados
Grecian Castle Hotel
#4 of 6 in Karfas
Erytha Hotel & Resort
Erytha Hotel & Resort
#2 of 6 in Karfas

Been to Kyveli Apartments? Share your experiences!