“Amazing restaurant!”

Sokrates Taverna - Horwich
Reserve with OpenTable
Sokrates Taverna - Horwich is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 71 Restaurants in Horwich
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Sokrates Tavern on Winter Hey Lane in Horwich is a relaxed and friendly restaurant serving authentic Greek, Cypriot and Eastern Mediterranean cuisine. The dining room has a rustic and easy-going ambience. When the temperatures are high customers love to dine in the Greek village yard. The focal point of the menu is the Greek Meze Banquet which offers an array of 15 or more dishes served to the middle of the table for people to share over an hour or so. It is a great way to eat with family or friends and enjoy a Feast of Flavours. There is a full A' la Carte menu with dishes like the Greek Island Prawns, Mousaka and not to forget the Greek Souvlaki (skewers) and Lamb Koftas. Desserts like the delicious and very popular Greek Yoghurt cheesecake and home made Baklava. Sokrates Taverna has an excellent selection of red, white and rose wines from Greece and Cyprus.
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

The food was absolutely gorgeous very very tasty, the service was excellent our table was never without a drink and the water was replaced as soon as it was empty. The restaurant was very busy but we never had to wait for food but there was enough time between dishes so we didn't feel rushed. Really relaxed atmosphere and lovely staff.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

The food at Sokrates is amazing- one of the best Greek meals we have ever had n this country. We went on a Tuesday and was told we didn't need to book in for the Meze which is what we wanted. As we arrived we were asked if we liked fish-when we said yes we were served the best calamari we have ever had-no rubbery onion rings here-it was fab and melted in the mouth. The dishes were served thick and fast and each course was as tasty as the last-chicken, lamb, fish, pork, beef, aubergine, mushrooms, courgettes-you name it-it was there! No wonder this place has a Tripadvisor Star-it well deserved and we can't wait to go back.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I went there after reading a few reviews on trip advisor and maybe my expectations were too high, but was a little disappointed.

The place is popular though and you are advised to book. We didn't book but managed to get a table outside which was nice.

For starters had the dolmathes which was really nice! I'll definitely have those again. My wife had the spanakopita which was also really nice.

Both mains we both had the chicken souvlaki which unfortunately was really average and fairly expensive for what you got.

The Greek beer was really nice.

On Thu nights they have a greek evening which I imagine would be really festive so might have to give that a try.

I think next time I would have to try the meze which would probably push the food rating to very good for me.

1  Thank Greg M
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Food was devine. Not had food packed with so much flavour for a long time. Had the meze and every single dish was brilliant. The stifado, chicken wings, aubergine curry, pork kebabs all stunning. It was all stunning.

Brilliant owner looked after us. Nothing too much trouble. I can't recommend enough and we'll be back with family and friends.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Made enquiry by email - reply was quickly received - table duly booked for 6pm on 19/06/2013. The Meze was pre-booked and all that had to be chosen was a drink. We were not disappointed with the Meze. It was varied and hot - where necessary. I had not eaten Greek food for a while so it was a nice to sample the different foods. The food kept coming at regular intervals as was an explanation of each course. We didnt feel rushed and although early, the tables were filling up nicely! Unless a local pre booking might well be advised. The price of £12.50 each was good value. We had 2 Meze and 2 large beers - bill totalled about £34-£35. A nice experience - which was good as I had travelled from Blackpool to dine there! Would I go back? Yes.