“poor food, grim surroundings, warm wine” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Salsa

La Salsa
Ranked #20 of 69 Restaurants in Horwich
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a Spanish Tapas restaurant based in Horwich, Bolton, Our menu introduces you to an exciting Spanish food tradition that will excite your taste buds. New Trail Menu - Around The World Tapas. #CheekyTapas Twitter - lasalsatapas Instagram - La_salsa_Tapas
Preston, United Kingdom
“poor food, grim surroundings, warm wine”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

From the title you might deduce my experience at La Salsa was not a good one! To call this a tapas restaurant would be like calling Macdonalds a Brazilan Barbeque Restaurant! The food was poor, an example of a Tuna Nicose salad was a lump of Tuna mayonnaise on a lettuce leaf, the garlic bread, a staple in an establishment like this was chewy and stale with only a hint of garlic. The glass of wine I was served was warm, not just not cold but warm, it was only short of some fruit and cinnamon and could have been a vin chaud.

All was not completely terrible, my friend had king prawns which she assured me were lovely, only 2 of them but then there was an option of ordering again, the deal being an "all you can eat" in the style of a chinese buffet albeit served to you! I'm not a huge fan of these types of establishments, you usually find quantity is substituted for quality, and in this case I was proved right.

Onto the surroundings, an attempt was made at intimacy with candles and makeshift booths but on the whole the overall look of the restaurant was unattractive and the decor requires some work not only to make it prettier but to make it feel and look cleaner!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Horwich, England, United Kingdom
“Can be great - can be bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I used to adore it when it was The Puddle Duck and it depends on what luck you get when you go to this place. I've had some great experiences here with groups of friends and I've also been here very early with three people as the only diners in the place and still had a fantastic time. However, too many times have they got food wrong and the drinks prices are some of the worst I have ever seen.

Once I ordered 3 tapas and only 2 came, so because they are small I next ordered another 4 and only 2 came.... finally I ordered another 4 and only 1 came?!
Another time some of my tapas didn't turn up so I complained as it was towards the end of the evening and I was still hungry. They confirmed that it would arrive anytime soon, and with my back to the kitchen I later realised that they then turned off the ovens and the chefs had left!

However, apart from a couple of bad experiences there have been some good ones too. The atmosphere and food (when it arrives) is always great and you can't beat the all you can eat deals when there's a large group of you - even when they do get a couple of things wrong.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Paul C
“Food good but deco needs an upgrade”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Visited on a Thursday evening, 6 pm. The menus are very old and falling apart, an easy fix, just get some new ones made!

We all ordered three dishes each at first, which seems about right and all were deliverered very quickly. Absolutely no problem with the food, it's excellent. Most of the group had between 6 and 8 dishes altogether, everyone was was very satisfied with the food.

However when looking round the place it is evident it's been decorated on a shoe string. Dirty stained ceiling tile, masking tape (falling off) on the window frame, generally poor condition.

The place was full a little later, atmosphere was good, service fine, but just do it up a little!

Visited August 2013
Bolton, United Kingdom
“tapas treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

first visit and will not be the last.didn't book but managed to get a table for two within a few minutes.we were a little mesmerised by the menu selection but was not rushed into ordering and advised to oder four dishes each at any course.i don't think we had any course that wasn't excellent and everything we ate seemed to be cooked fresh.well worth a visit.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great service! Great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Visited last Saturday evening with my Husband. This was our third visit but this time we didn't have a reservation. We were greeted by a waitress who when we said we hadn't got a reservation asked us to wait. Very quickly a man came over and showed us to a table. There was a friendly, relaxad atmosphere and the service was excellent as usual. The food was delicious and there is no limit on the amount of dishes you can order. Will definitly visit again.