“Lovely hotel in an old castle.....”
Review of Castell Son Claret

Castell Son Claret
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Es Capdella
London
“Lovely hotel in an old castle.....”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and very much enjoyed the beautiful hotel and gardens. My only comment would be that it's all very 'new' - gorgeous but it will probably have more character in a few years time once the garden has matured and the stonework is not quite so pristine! Loved the pool area - so relaxing and had dinner at both restaurants. Zaranada's tasting menu was just divine - a total treat indeed. Would be good perhaps if there was a bit of entertainment or life on offer on the odd evening - outside cinema or music perhaps? The place is very quiet and whilst that is wonderful on the one hand, sometimes it's nice to have a bit of liveliness? But then again Palma is just up the road so maybe that's the answer!

The staff were all very helpful and polite and I would highly recommend this beautiful place for a complete chill out. The tennis court is great too - so well maintained.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Londongal77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Wales
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I booked the hotel and the Restaurant Zaranda as a surpise for my husband's birthday over a month in advance, which was confirmed by the hotel.
The day before our visit I had an email informing me they had overbooked and they had arranged a hotel for us in Palma instead, there was no mention of how we would get from Palma to Capdella and back again fpr our booking in Zaranda!
I therefore cancelled both the hotel and the restaurant.
An obvious case of having a better (longer) booking and therefore dumping our reservation.
As this was the hotel's doing and not Zaranda, we subsequently booked dinner the following week at Zaranda, one of the best meals we have enjoyed on Mallorca, splendid food, wine and service, please go but book a taxi and stay somewhere else!

5 Thank piprdenton
Bjoern S, General Manager at Castell Son Claret, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear piprdenton,

Thank you very much for your sincere feedback. We would like to apologize for the disappointment experienced with the room booking which was caused by a human error and certainly not done intentionally.

We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed Zaranda and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to both the hotel and restaurant in the near future.

Best regards

Björn Spaude
Amman
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife usually is the one who plans our vacations, and this one was one of her best choices yet. This is a boutique hotel located in the most amazing environment surrounded by beautiful mountains. It was a bit of a challenge to enter the address on the GPS as we rented a car. But, it seems that the hotel management even thought about such details and provided the coordinates on their site. We arrived a little after midnight and the outside gates were closed. It was seconds before they responded to the bell and as the gates opened we drove up a beautifully let driveway that leads all the way to the front of the main building, the CASTLE. we were well received and a few minutes later the same person on the reception showed us to our room (a Jr. suit on the first floor). As we entered, our boys (12 years and 4) as well as my wife and myself were in ow. Everything about the room was perfect... Everything. I can keep on going to talk about this amazing property and all the amazing people tending to it, but really, at the end I highly recommend this hotel. If you mange to choose your room, 101 is wonderful.

Room Tip: We stayed in Jr. suit 101 which I loved, but the last 3 nights we were upgraded to a pool suit (701...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

I don't usually write reviews, and I have stayed in many great hotels in the past, but Castell Son Claret is a little piece of Paradise... We arrived 2 days ago (my husband and I with our two children) and I simply cannot wait to write a review. Anyone who is considering this hotel, press the BOOK button! You won't regret it! Everything about the hotel is special; from amazing grounds, lovely rooms, and breathtaking views, to great food, impeccable service and very courteous and attentive staff. I never want to leave...

• Stayed June 2014
New Jersey
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Disclaimer: Castell Son Claret is not for everyone. There are limited facilities for families with children and while Mallorca is known for its beautiful beaches/ocean views, this hotel is located at least 20 minutes from any beach. If, however, you are looking for a quiet countryside retreat to rest, relax and enjoy some of the best food you'll ever eat, this is about as good as it gets.

The hotel grounds are absolutely stunning...I am truly sorry I did not spend enough time here to enjoy it all. The rooms are exceptionally appointed; spacious, modern, tasteful and clean with the outside capturing the various cultures that have influenced Mallorca. The pool is wonderful and there is plenty of seating given the size of the hotel. The pool attendants are extremely efficient and courteous...we were there for no more than 15 seconds before someone came to help set up our towels, etc.

The food is some of the best you will find in Mallorca. Both Olivera (their casual restaurant) and Zaranda (fine dining) offer great views and great food. The best thing I can say is that I tried food I normally don't eat at both restaurants and found it all to be delicious. They were able to tailor the tasting menu to our needs as there were a couple of things that my husband and I don't eat - we were not feeling "that" adventurous. We were able to try some excellent Spanish wines with the help of the sommelier as well.

The concierge/front desk, Alberto in particular, were extremely kind and helpful as we were able to plan multiple outings without issue.

Overall, this is on a very short list of the very best hotels that we have stayed at...it may even have convinced us that Mallorca may be a place we would consider retiring to...or even owning a second home.

Room Tip: I don't know that there is a bad room in the whole place.
1 Thank ALG5
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2014

i absolutely loved this hotel -i first read about it in the FT weekend more than a year ago and just had to go - it is in a unique setting and away from all the crowds - if you havent been majorca this is the place to come to! it has been very beautifully renovated - understated elegance with beautiful contemporary artworks around the hotel. if i had to say anything negative it would be that the atmosphere is a little cold when you first arrive but that soon disappears.
I have read quite a few of the other reviews one stated the breakfast was a shame - for me it was perfection - literally everything you could wish for - if you want gluten free bread they will prepare it from their own bakery - i dont think many hotels make all their own breads - it really is delicious, healthy and all you could wish for. We ate in the olivera restaurant which again was delicious and very well presented - the staff attentive and service very good. We didnt eat in zaranda mainly because i wanted to eat a little simpler but again it looked beautiful.
The swimming pool was a great size for a small hotel and salt water too - there was a bar area by the pool which provided all you may wish for - i would recommend that every now and again the poolside staff ask you if you want anything to drink etc rather than have to go directly to them to ask for something.
i think for the price the hotel ticked all the boxes and was worth every penny - i will go again without fail.

Room Tip: we were in the main building which was very convenient
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed June 18, 2014

The Hotel is located towards the east and inland. It is approx 25 minutes from Palma city centre by taxi/car. We had a suite which were original stables converted to the most beautiful 5 star rooms.Landscape is gorgeous, rooms renovated to a high standard in modern, chic style. If you are looking for a peaceful and beautiful surroundings, then Castel Son Claret is it. Food was great besides beautifully presented.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Es Capdella
Gran Melia de Mar
Gran Melia de Mar
#3 of 182 in Calvia
Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxur...
#8 of 74 in Palma de Mallorca
Park Hyatt Mallorca
Park Hyatt Mallorca
#1 of 16 in Canyamel

Been to Castell Son Claret? Share your experiences!