“Very good experience, but you have to be a little adventurous”
Review of Zaranda

Zaranda
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The restaurant is situauted in Castell Son Claret and has a former michelin star chef who has just moved there
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We spend a short week on Palma and went to a number of restaurants in the area, Zaranda being one of them. It's in a great location in a "hotels of the world" in the Mallorca mountains. We were visiting and the end of September so the outside courtyard was still open which gives it a special appearance (basically when you look up from your table you are staring at the black star-lid sky).

When we visited it wasn't very busy (I think they were serving 7 tables in total for the evening), so we experienced very good and personal service.

The pro's:
- great location
- very good sommelier with a very reasonably priced wine list (some good local wines as well)
- great service (lot of very subtle hand gestures and winks going on across the courtyard and very few words; great way to deliver top service)
- good food and fantastic presentation; great attention to detail with the design of the plates, cups, etc. is out of this world pretty and aligned with the food you are eating

The con's:
- I don't know what it is these days, but for some reason everything has gone taster menu with no ability to chose a la carte; the restaurant only has a €100 and €150 taster menu. We went for the €100 one and the food was very good and balanced, but there were a few things my wife didn't really liked on either menu, so we felt a little forced in to eating something
- the chef is quite adventurous; if you don't like eating everything from the animal, you might have issues (as my wife did with some elements on the dish)

But overall, a great experience and I can see why people recommend this place. Especially the pigeon with beetroot as well as the truffle dishes will be remembered

There are newer reviews for Zaranda

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Tucked away in a luxurious and expensive resort in the middle of nowhere, Zaranda is miraculous. Three star Michelin attention to detail, and superb and imaginative cooking. It's Mallorca, so of course the emphasis is on local fish and produce. But the intelligent combinations of flavours and textures are genius, on a par with Daniel Boulud and Keller in their best moments. The food is fresh, and sometimes exquisitely simple and at other times, very complicated-- not dishes you could possibly cook at home. The wine advice was brilliant, and each of three bottles for our group inexpensive and wonderful. Local chef/owner Fernando Perez Alellano is there, and does not charge much for food of this quality. Bravo! Bravo!

1  Thank clayton r
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I took my husband for dinner to celebrate his birthday. In my opinion it is an absolute "must visit" location and restaurant and probably one of the most memorable meals we have ever had in our 4 years of marriage.

Starting with the venue, lovingly restored as recently as April this year, Castel Son Claret is breathtaking! A beautiful tree lined drive takes you to some incredible gardens and a brilliantly renovated Spanish style farm/castle.

We took a drink in the Olivera restaurant, overlooking the infinity pool and orchards, complete with sheep wearing bells. I had a Castell 75 - champagne, citron and Hendricks gin cocktail which was ridiculously tasty!

We took dinner in the Zaranda restaurant in the courtyard. Beautifully decorated tables, fabulous service from all the staff with special mention to the maitre d for being so welcoming, a cracking sommelier and our waiter.

The food was delicious. We went for the shorter tasting menu with matched wines and we thought it was excellent value. The Mallorcean pork amuse bouche, lobster bisque, pigeon breast and re worked Black Forest gateau were particularly good courses. The matched wines presented were excellent, when there is only 2 of you it is so nice to still be able to match your wines to your courses without having to buy 3 or 4 separate bottles (not to mention how drunk you would be)! A Spanish cava, 2 whites, a sensational rose and beautiful dessert wine really complimented the meal.

All in all a first class experience!! We will definitely be back.

1  Thank CFTG
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We opted for the shorter of the two tasting menus. The chef focused on local traditions and ingredients which we liked. All the dishes were tasty and good, but nothing extraordinary. The waitors were in general quite slow and seemed to be very focused on one table (not ours) instead of giving all the guests equal attention. Small things which you expect at a Michelin restaurant lacked. We had to wait a long time to put in our wine order, then waiting a long time to actually get the wine. We werent too impressed with the skills of the sommelier. We've been to a few Michelin restaurants, but Zardana does unfortunately not live up it's star. It's certainly a place to visit if you just want a nice meal with nice ambiance (inside the hotell Castell son Claret. It has moved from it's previous location).

1  Thank Iselin Hebbert L
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

I was there in sept for my girlfriends birthday. I had made a reservation 6 weeks before and I had gotten the confirmation through sms.

When arriving, it took us probsbly 1hour with taxi. The maitre(short haired women 40-60)
She looks at me like im an alien when i say i have a reservation. She says We dont have it but you can sit here becouse we have 1 cancelation. I show here my confirmation. But she didnt care.

Then we choose the large menu . They try to rush it so hard that we. Fellt stressed and uncomfortsble. We had all our snacks together with tje first amuse. A joke. This was not even late. 2100 we had the booking. But we were the last table.

The sommeliere from argentina was very good!
The chef de rang made strange noises from his throught the whole night.

Food was great but service ruin. Our experience. I was emberassed that this dinner was my birthday present for my girlfriend.

To bad for the kitchenstaff aswell. This behavoiur in the diningroom will surely make you lose tje michelinstar

6  Thank Mrboudin