“The best dinner we've ever had”

Swinside Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newlands
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“The best dinner we've ever had”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We decided to make a short visit to the Lake District to celebrate my husband’s birthday. I searched Trip Advisor for an appealing hotel in a quiet and attractive location in or near Keswick. We wanted to celebrate with a special evening meal. I booked a double room including breakfast and dinner on Monday 26 September.

Swinside Lodge turned out to be everything we had hoped for – and more. Mike and Kath, the proprietors, were very friendly, welcoming and helpful. The hotel, with only 7 rooms, is a delightful Georgian house in a quiet location only ten minutes walk from the lake. It is most beautifully furnished and decorated, especially the dining room and two lovely lounges on the ground floor. Our room was very pleasant and comfortable. Dinner was absolutely excellent, every course delicious and enticingly presented.

Overall – perfect. We’ll definitely return.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
london
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We took all 7 bedrooms for a silver wedding party: it was wonderful. The dinner was superb - with champagne and canapes (including oysters) beforehand. Every course was delicious and the total was well-balanced. Breakfast was also good. The bedrooms were very comfortable with well-designed en suite bathrooms. Kath and Mike were very welcoming and could not have been more helpful. The location is brilliant: beautiful, peaceful and very convenient - it is even easy to get here by public transport.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but only some have kingsize doubles
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Kath and Mike have clearly got the running of this hotel down to a fine art. Their attentive staff and attention to detail was remarkable. The rooms were spotless and the food was delicious. The location was so pretty and the surrounding lakes and mountains are a walkers paradise. We walked it into Keswick and there was a Saturday market on. There are plenty of tea shops where you can sit and watch the world go by and enjoy a home-made treat. We had a wonderful weekend and will definately return again.

Seascale, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Our trip was booked late and thank goodness we choose Swinside Lodge. The setting is beautiful, the Hotel spotless and staff excellent. We thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay with fabulous meal which you would be hard pressed to match in any top class restaurant.

The attention to detail in this Hotel is second to none, everything that could be thought of to make your stay special has already been thought of and done, thank you so much for our relaxing stay with fanastic service, food and finishing off with perfect breakfast.

The owners of this Hotel are friendly and professional, we look forward to visiting again soon, many thanks Jakki & Paul Barratt - 17th September 2011

Room Tip: We booked late and as the Hotel is so well used and booked up regularly, we had a double room - if w...
Forfar, Scotland
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Situated in our favourite spot in theLlake District, away from the crowds providing super food and good friendly service. Cat Bells and associated hills on the doorstep; leave the car behind.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ReeceForfar_Scotland
Cumbria
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We chose this Hotel last minute for a near to home break having cancelled a trip to China because of illness.
This was a wonderful three night break with Mike and Kath looking after us very well. Nothing was too much trouble and the food was sublime. The chef was happy to accommadate our dietry needs at short notice which was very helpful. At predinner drinks we met some very interesting people.The standard of cleaniness was the best I have ever seen in a hotel and the attention to detail was first class.

I would be happy to book again for a short break whatever the Weather!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the house have good views of the Hills
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Leek
Reviewed September 10, 2011

A snap decision had me looking for a secluded hotel, an inspiring location and somewhere where I could enjoy a bit of self-indulgence and the great outdoors. I'd pretty much decided on the Scilly Isles, could get a flight, but couldn't find a hotel with availability - a lucky break as it turned out.

Swinside has a perfect location at the entrance to the Newlands Valley, at the foot of Catbells, a few minute’s walk from Derwentwater, the jetty for the Keswick launch, and an hour's flat stroll into Keswick. It stands in its own Lakeland greenery with few other residences dotted around the landscape - you'll need to look hard to find them. To add some icing, there's a good old fashioned real ale pub just ten minutes’ walk away - the sort that readily welcomes muddy boots onto clean carpets.

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect - perhaps it would be a bit too high class and formal for me, and I'd feel uneasy in a hotel winning such accolades? No worries. Mike met me when I arrived, and he was welcoming, interested and keen to make sure I felt completely at home.

I stayed in the Chestnut, one of the smaller rooms. It's not the best room I've ever stayed in, but for context better than the vast majority and perfectly comfortable. The decor was good, and the view of Catbells and the Newlands great. My judge of a hotel room tends to be the shower - very good in this case. I did get to see one of the rooms at the front, facing Skiddaw and Blencathra. I'd definitely recommend for couples - serious brownie points.

Dinner. I'd read the reviews and knew the food would be special but found that my expectations weren't high enough. Four nights of consistently brilliant and different food. I didn't know mushroom soup could be such a delicacy. Both Kath and Laurent were attentive and personable - no stuffy formality. For a Frenchman, Laurent has a great sense of English humour ;-). It is high class dining, but if you've seen Pretty Woman you'll be quite at home and able to work out which cutlery to use.

The wine list is extensive, but if you want beer with your meal, that's ok.

Kath was very knowledgeable about the local area, providing both advice and maps on walking routes and information about places to visit. Particularly memorable will be her demonstration one night, of the correct way to use walking poles.

I could say lots more. The whole experience is welcoming, the decor in the common areas fantastic and the two lounges comfortable and restful. I didn't get to meet Clive, the chef, but would like to use this review as a virtual shake of the hand, and would like to thank Kath, Laurent and Mike for ensuring that my stay was so wonderful.

I started this review with and explanation of how I came by Swinside. Uncharacteristically, and because of circumstance, I didn’t check TripAdvisor. Now back home, I’ve looked at other guest comments. There are five which rate this hotel as average. Of course Swinside may have had an off-week, but I’ve been around a bit – I’d suggest that these people take the time to take a real good look at themselves. I expected a good experience, good food and a good location, and I got more than I expected.

I'll have absolutely no reservation about recommending Swinside to anyone, and hopefully will be back when the occasion calls.

Thank you.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank RossiniKervene
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newlands
The Keswick Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portinscale
Lodore Falls Hotel
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to Swinside Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!