“Very pleasant surprise - best restaurant breakfast I have ever had”

Ibis Auckland Ellerslie
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ellerslie
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bay of Plenty
“Very pleasant surprise - best restaurant breakfast I have ever had”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2009

Got a last minute ridiculous cheap rate on wotif.com which included breakfast. Arrived and surprised to get king size bed. New reburbished room. Now the rooms are TINY but for a quick overnight stay it was fine. Bed quite comfortable. The breakfast was nothing short of superb. I usually stay in 4.5 to 5 star hotels and the meal surpassed anything I have ever had. I would definately stay again for a quick overnight stay in Auckland. Its not perfect, but value for money, free parking, convenient location and no frills but modern and clean.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Whangarei
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2009

A room like a student dorm. Only enough coffee and sugar for one person. No bath towells. TV reception, the picture and voice was out of sync. And they had the cheek to ask for $99 a night? Poor cousin of the other hotels me thinks or a tax dodge.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
AXELNELL, Guest Relations Manager at Ibis Auckland Ellerslie, responded to this review, April 26, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Auckland Ellerslie. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Your comment regarding our TV reception has been forwarded to our Chief Engineer for immediate action. I have also had a discussion with the cleaner who failed to refill the towels in your room, procedures have been reviewed to ensure the same mistake will not occur in the future.

At the moment, a room refurbishment is being conducted, it will take 3 months to complete. I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Again, thank you for your feedback!

Best regards,

Guest Relations Manager
Wellington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2009

I have stayed at the Ibis Ellerslie about five occasions on business and I have to say, this hotel is just going from bad to worse!! I have now informed my employer, that under no circumstances will I never stay here again! Why? Well where do I start! The rooms stink of some sort of mouldy / musty smell, the sheets have holes in them and if you pull back the sheets, the mattresses are covered in stains - from either dried blood or some other non-descript matter! The floor of the rooms are covered in toe/ finger nails (this I have struck on about three different occasions). There is a heavy layer of dust in parts (especially the 'Disabled Room' on L2 - which I was moved to after asking to change my room due to the first room smelling like 'off'' blue vein cheese and being littered with toe nails), the fridges are about buggared (shake, rattle and roll), the toilet had not been cleaned (in disabled room), and there was no hair-dryer! When I rang reception to ask if I could have a h/dryer brought up, it seemed a most painful request to the woman on front desk (i.e. Jessica). Even a smile in her voice or physically from this lady would have been refreshing! Room service came on time but I would advise not to eat at this hotel as the food is not fit for human consumption! Disgusting to say the least! Overall - a shocking three star hotel. I think I have experienced more cleaner, friendlier and hygenic back-packers during my O/E travelling days! PS... I am still wondering why they moved me to Disabled Room (far end room with very little light) when clearly there were ample rooms available on both Level's One and Two. Only positive is that you can escape this dreary slum by going for a walk around the beautiful Ellerslie Race Course - which is very near by.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Concise
Dear Guest,

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I have had a discussion with our Executive Housekeeper and Restaurant Manager regarding your comments, please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

I appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Kind regards,

Guest Relations Manager
Hotel Ibis Ellerslie Auckland
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2009

i've stayed in small hotel rooms before. and actually have nothing against a small room. but these rooms seem cluttered. my favourite part is the space capsule like bathroom. my least favourite part is the weird smell in the corridor and the way that there is no room service. i wasn't too pleased that although i'd booked a queen room i got twin beds. but this was solved swiftly by a staff member zipping the beds together. the service was good, but i would have preferred an actual queen bed without the weird ridge down the middle.

the attached novotel is fantastic, and recently updated. i hope the ibis gets a make over soon too!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2009

Stayed here for two nights in Jan 2009 as part of a tour.

Hotel is quite modern if a bit bland looking, very close to Auckland's Ellerslie Racecourse, about 15 minuites by public transport from Auckland CBD and beside a turn-off from the motorway.

Most rooms are very small and beds light-weight. There was very little room with us and our luggage in it. Otherwise, they were clean with adequate facilities, including tea making, and very clean and tidy. Air-conditioning worked fine, but would be nice to have the option of opening a window for genuinely fresh air.

The restaurant was good and eating there was relaxing. We had one evening meal which was a little slow being served but of very good quality / choice Breakfast really was excellent with a great variety of choices. So, it is worth booking a package including breakfast if you can get a reasonable deal.

Like many hotels in NZ, internet access is expensive - but then you don't travel 20,000km to NZ for the Web.

It's generally easier to explore a city if you can walk from your hotel, but I wouldn't object to staying here again the next time I'min Auckland.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank GavBelfast
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellerslie
Novotel Auckland Ellerslie
BEST WESTERN Ellerslie International
Quality Hotel Parnell
Quality Hotel Parnell
#17 of 66 in Auckland
Waipuna Hotel & Conference Centre
Waipuna Hotel & Conference Centr...
#1 of 4 in Mount Wellington
Kiwi International Hotel
Kiwi International Hotel
#32 of 66 in Auckland
The Langham, Auckland
The Langham, Auckland
#5 of 66 in Auckland
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,066 reviews

Been to Ibis Auckland Ellerslie? Share your experiences!