“Very tasty food”

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Very tasty food”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Pretty good mexican food and some of the specials can make it very reasonable . The quesadilla's (pork) is just awesome.
give it a try

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Calvin D

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Almost good...but needs some work...”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Great atmosphere, decor, seating however the food and drinks are less than impressive, the food quality varies significantly from day to day. Some days the pork is tender and others as dry as leather, it is by no means authentic Mexican, this is more kiwi/american food with a Mexican flair...sadly after being open a few months the quality has dropped and the prices well they are still pretty up there. Pork tostaditas are a must try and the red sangria is nice too, don't expect anything authentic from this place.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Monique-of-Auckland
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Mama Loco - Sylvia Park”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I had heard good things about Mama Locos. Being a massive fan of anything Mexican I was keen to try it.
My partner and I quote often enjoy a drink or two at Sylvia Park, however, have been feeling the sting of the incredibly over priced drinks at Garrisons Public Ale House.
So we went over to Mama Locos for one instead.
The price comparison with Garrisons was incredible, could pay half the price for an amazing cocktail at Mama Locos than you would for a single glass of tap beer or house wine at Garrisons.

The bar tender was very friendly, we felt very well taken care of by him. His enthusiasm was terrific, as was his overall bar service.

We tried the Largarita which was something very different (a cocktail made with tequila and beer) it was well recommended and went down a treat.

Unfortunately, the goodness of the establishment ended here.

The signs of the franchise company by which it was owned started to show.
I ordered the Sangria, that while tasted nice, was very weak, and was just flavoured juice really (There was A LOT of juice).
Soon I started to note that while the place had the Mexican theme, whoever was running it clearly had no knowledge of anything Mexican (at all).
When we ordered a classic Mexican cocktail (A caipirinha) it was made with white sugar (it should be brown sugar). When I asked the barman about this (he knew about the brown sugar) but said the manager refused to get the correct (traditional) ingredients (like brown sugar)..

Moving on, we tried the food.. What a disappointment! We ordered some squid and prawns, that was clearly over-cooked and to the “pub food” standard (deep fried with salt and peppar = BORING), but served with Mexican themed dipping sauce and a bed of Mexican themed garnish. I decided then that this is not a Mexican restaurant, but a PUB that has been decorated with Mexican decorations. There are no real Mexicans involved in the operations of this establishment, or it seems, anyone that has even been to Mexico, or a real Mexican Restaurant.

Guys, I think if you want to do this sort of thing, do it properly.. Get some Mexicans involved!

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank amberambler
Thames, New Zealand
“Didn't live up to expectation”
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We visited here as part of a family celebration - all adults. Atmosphere great, food great, Bill - not so great - in fact appalling. We were overcharged for 3 drinks which made our bill nearly 20% more expensive than it should have been. This was unnoticed at the time, but the next day, when we realised I phoned the restaurant. I was informed the owner was away but he would email me back. I never heard anything back and so emailed them. Still nothing. Several weeks later my daughter phoned and after several calls managed to speak to the owner - he was very apologetic and promised vouchers in the mail - you guessed it - they never arrived. As we don't live in Auckland, we couldn't just call in to explain. This issue spoilt what would have been a nice evening.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Karen R
Auckland, New Zealand
“It's a bit spicey !!!”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

There were 8 of us from work sampling the delights of this local. Between us we tried the Tostaditas (pork), Pollo pibil (Chicken), Camarones (Prawns), De arrachera (Beef), Pescado (Fish) dishes. Everybody enjoyed themselves, the dishes we just the right size. All the dishes could have done with more of the main ingredient though. The cocktails were flowing nicely too. My favourite was Cave Creek Chili beer, it had a nice bite to it, and yes they do add a chili as well. Pity I was the driver. Good excuse for another visit.

The staff were very friendly and responded quickly to clear our spillages

Beware of the cocktail glasses, they are easily knocked over. We achieved 3 knock overs. Can you beat us !!! !

• Visited October 2013