Tripadvisor
Purley
Post
Inbox
Search

“Nice decor but expensive and uninspiring food”

Lord Roberts on The Green
Ranked #1 of 6 Quick Bites in Purley
Description: Lord Roberts on The Green can be found on The Webb Estate in Purley. Owned by Alex Goward & TV Presenter Laura Hamilton, the couple have created a beautiful restaurant, deli and convenience store that sells some beautiful gifts and hosts baby showers and special celebrations. Lord Roberts on The Green offers beautiful food, a lovely drinks menu, a wonderful atmosphere, all in a beautiful setting.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Nice decor and friendly staff but food is slow to arrive, small portions and really very basic. The menu could do with extending and varying from time to time.
The prices for everything on the menu is really expensive.

Date of visit: January 2020
Lordroberts2017, Owner at Lord Roberts on The Green, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Deanne, thank you for review.

I just wanted to let you know that our menu changes twice a year and in terms of what we can offer, is determined by the limited amount of space that we have.

We try to keep our prices in line with comparable independent coffee shops / restaurants and pride ourselves on everything being homemade, fresh and locally sourced.

We do hope to see you again.

Write a reviewReviews (152)

Reviewed December 12, 2019

Stupidly before my first visit I didn’t read the last review...
Good selection of cakes but no prices displayed...ordered food, cake, coffees.
Cappuccino was a latte. Avo on toast average but extra sides of crispy bacon was cold which was different but cold mushrooms not acceptable. Other chicken on toast dish menu described with side salad was served artistically but with 4 sprigs lambs lettuce 2 cherry toms and a couple of slices of radish hardly a side salad! Coconut vegan cake was average standard Victoria sponge style double layer . Millionaires shortbread was smaller than normal and not very good. Staff where lovely and the actual ambience and furnishings are lovely.
When I looked at my bill today I saw both cakes where charged at £4.25 a bit steep for coconut sponge and outrageous for millionaires shortbread....need to be a millionaire to afford the shortbread! Such a shame but definetly a case of style over substance

Date of visit: December 2019
1  Thank Adriana S

Hi Adriana, thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry to hear that you were not entirely satisfied with your food at LROTG. Is this something you addressed with a member of the team during your visit? We would happily of changed your food to ensure you had an enjoyable experience. On a separate note all our cakes are homemade using the highest quality ingredients and we feel our pricing is very much in line other local independent coffee shops.

In fact from tomorrow we are introducing a hot drink and cake offer Monday to Thursday 15:00 - 16:00 and you can find out more about this on our website www.lordrobertsonthegreen.com - we do hope you will visit again.

Reviewed November 26, 2019

Just read the last review before deciding to write this.

This is a lovely quaint coffee shop with a lot going for it! However, it is extremely overpriced. Cakes in particular being sold for almost £5 is unrealistically priced. Made worse when each slice does appear randomly cut so you could be paying the same as someone else for considerably less.

Outside the main menu, most items do not display a price!!! A lot of guess work appears to go on when staff have to be asked (because this is not clearly displayed) what the cost of something is. I have been charge varying prices for the same item on different occasions depending which staff member serves you. This is definitely something trading standards should look into as this has been the status quo since this shop has opened approx two years ago!

Staff (not all) are rude and can be quite abrupt. I have had my table cleared whilst picking at whatever was left on my plate. Made me feel they wanted us to leave, but I can’t think why as the place is rarely ever full. I have also been asked to move my feet whilst they sweep up around me. This should never happen!

I used to bring my kids in for sweets after school but after so many occasions of them being overcharged for the same items, I no longer do this. This overcharging is a REAL ISSUE. Staff won’t even give you a receipt with the price of items listed. This may be due to tils not providing this info or staff not being properly trained. Either way, we unfortunately won’t be returning as this establishment is effectively stealing from their customers when they don’t pay proper attention to what they are charging for each item.

After this moan i’d Like to point out what is done well!
1. Food is lovely. Most items on the main menu appropriately priced.
2. Decor. Best in the local area
3. Parking

I hope the above points are taken on board. If ignore, I can’t see this establishment lasting another year.

Date of visit: November 2019
3  Thank ToniCharles7
Reviewed November 18, 2019

Super little setting but quite pricey. Had a lovely hour to myself here and loved the atmosphere. You can buy trinkets to buy and listen to the local ladies gossiping, I got lost in my thoughts for a while...

Date of visit: September 2019
1  Thank AlisonThomson

Thank you for leaving us a review, we are glad you enjoyed your experience and we hope to see you again soon!!

Reviewed November 16, 2019

The Lord Roberts was recommended to me by a friend and it exceeded my expectations. Easiest parking ever, right on the village green. They have a wonderfully varied menu and the staff are so friendly and attentive. Highly recommended.

Date of visit: November 2019