“Very convenient and comfortable, but not exactly 4 star”

Best Western Airport Motel & Convention Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Attwood
Traralgon, Victoria
“Very convenient and comfortable, but not exactly 4 star”
Reviewed June 5, 2007

We stayed at Airport Motel and Convention Centre because it was a great "jumping off point" for a trip up north. I got the room for $95 on a "last minute" site, and as it included free Airport transfers, how could I go wrong?

When we first arrived, we were a bit dubious to find our room, on the very edge of the complex, faced some kind of residential caravan park. However, it was not an issue at all as it was very quiet (the caravans may belong to the hotel).

Our room had all the usual motel things, and the bed was comfortable. Heating was via a reverse-cycle unit mounted above the door, which did a good job of making the room comfortable.

The decor was OK, with everything of white laminex (at the price we paid, I didn't expect solid American Oak). It looked neat and tidy. Everything was clean.

The bathroom was clean and contained adequate towelling for 2. There appeared to be some water damage to the plasterboard by the floor next to the shower, which you wouldn't find in a 4-star hotel.

The motel has its own restaurant, and while not cheap, was not really expensive, either. As a vegetarian, I found only one offering on the menu, which was not my to my taste, but the chef made me a nice pasta dish with Napolitana sauce. My meal, my husband's steak, two garlic breads, and two bottles of beer, came to $65. I've paid a lot more than that at other places in the past, so it wasn't too bad.

The motel has a free shuttle bus service for taking travellers to the airport (which is only a few minutes away). They also offer "secure" car parking for only $5 a night, and offer free pick-up from the airport upon return, and will drop you off back at your car.

I don't how "secure" the "secure" parking is, as when we returned, our car was parked in front of one of the motel units. Whether it was moved there for our convenience, or was parked there while we were gone, I don't know. And I don't care, either, because I paid a lot less than the $99 that others in our group paid for their weekly parking. I've heard stories of theft and damage that occured to cars parked in expensive airport parking facilities, so I figured I wasn't any more or less at risk here. Besides, my car's insured, anyway.

We wanted a hotel by the airport because we live two hours away from the airport, and would have had to fight peak-hour traffic to make our flight out of Melbourne. AMCC offered us the peace of mind of making our flight on-time, and the convenience of not having to worry about getting to and from the airport, or worrying about car parking.

While the Melbourne Airport Hilton was our original choice, being right across the road from the airport, I couldn't see any reason to pay three times as much for the night. Had we stayed there, we would've had to drag our luggage a lot farther than we did by being dropped right at the "departures" area, as we were by the AMCC shuttle.

Would we stay here again? You bet!

Stayed June 2007
5 Thank AxellaJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 20, 2004

There were 3 of us staying at this motel in one room and I slept on the sofa bed. I found that the sheets had holes in them and a hair! Had they been washed?
I had to ask for an extra blanket as there was only one and no extras supplied.
No complaints about the comfort of the beds however.
We were expecting a heated pool as advertised on the web site but found a locked pool and spa.
We found the service at this motel very good in that the airport pick-up was very convenient and the staff helpful and polite. Only 2 towels were supplied for 3 people so extras were brought over to compensate even if they were frayed.
Four star? I don't think so.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Attwood
Quality Hotel Melbourne Airport
Mantra Tullamarine Hotel
Mantra Tullamarine Hotel
#3 of 7 in Tullamarine
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,857 reviews

Been to Best Western Airport Motel & Convention Centre? Share your experiences!