We stayed at Airport Motel and Convention Centre because it was a great "jumping off point" for a trip up north. I got the room for $95 on a "last minute" site, and as it included free Airport transfers, how could I go wrong?
When we first arrived, we were a bit dubious to find our room, on the very edge of the complex, faced some kind of residential caravan park. However, it was not an issue at all as it was very quiet (the caravans may belong to the hotel).
Our room had all the usual motel things, and the bed was comfortable. Heating was via a reverse-cycle unit mounted above the door, which did a good job of making the room comfortable.
The decor was OK, with everything of white laminex (at the price we paid, I didn't expect solid American Oak). It looked neat and tidy. Everything was clean.
The bathroom was clean and contained adequate towelling for 2. There appeared to be some water damage to the plasterboard by the floor next to the shower, which you wouldn't find in a 4-star hotel.
The motel has its own restaurant, and while not cheap, was not really expensive, either. As a vegetarian, I found only one offering on the menu, which was not my to my taste, but the chef made me a nice pasta dish with Napolitana sauce. My meal, my husband's steak, two garlic breads, and two bottles of beer, came to $65. I've paid a lot more than that at other places in the past, so it wasn't too bad.
The motel has a free shuttle bus service for taking travellers to the airport (which is only a few minutes away). They also offer "secure" car parking for only $5 a night, and offer free pick-up from the airport upon return, and will drop you off back at your car.
I don't how "secure" the "secure" parking is, as when we returned, our car was parked in front of one of the motel units. Whether it was moved there for our convenience, or was parked there while we were gone, I don't know. And I don't care, either, because I paid a lot less than the $99 that others in our group paid for their weekly parking. I've heard stories of theft and damage that occured to cars parked in expensive airport parking facilities, so I figured I wasn't any more or less at risk here. Besides, my car's insured, anyway.
We wanted a hotel by the airport because we live two hours away from the airport, and would have had to fight peak-hour traffic to make our flight out of Melbourne. AMCC offered us the peace of mind of making our flight on-time, and the convenience of not having to worry about getting to and from the airport, or worrying about car parking.
While the Melbourne Airport Hilton was our original choice, being right across the road from the airport, I couldn't see any reason to pay three times as much for the night. Had we stayed there, we would've had to drag our luggage a lot farther than we did by being dropped right at the "departures" area, as we were by the AMCC shuttle.
Would we stay here again? You bet!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Best Western Airport Motel and Convention Centre is a four star property that is situated minutes from the Tullamarine Airport and it is also situated only 5 minutes away from the very popular DFO Essendon. • Has a range of rooms to cater for a diverse market, from our basic four star motel rooms to our modern and contemporary Deluxe Business rooms• Included in the rate is our complimentary shuttle bus service that operates 24 hours a day seven days a week. • We also have free wireless internet available for all our guests and all rooms also include selected Foxtel channels. • All rooms also include full size iron/ironing board, hairdryer, refrigerator, mini bar, remote control LCD TV, individually controlled heater/air conditioner and same day dry cleaning service.For our guests going away for either business or pleasure we also offer our long term secure parking to store your vehicle with us whilst you’re away for a minimal rate of 8 dollars per day. The property includes an A La Carte Restaurant that operates for breakfast and dinner. Operating in the reception foyer we have a flight arrival/departure screen that will keep you updated on your flight times or you’re more than welcomed to ask one of our very friendly and professional staff members to give you assistance in finding that information for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Cancelon, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Best Western Airport Motel & Convention Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Airport Motel And Convention Centre
- Best Western Airport Motel & Convention Centre Hotel Melbourne
- Best Western Melbourne