“poor service”

Ranked #2 of 2 Tebay B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

In July my partner & I visited at 9pm on a Sat night and told there was no food available. After chasing the barstaff I finally got a menu and was told that the restaurant was full - it was 1/2 empty - so was then told that they were setting for breakfast (knife fork and paper tissue) so we would have to sit in the pub - only seats 2 rooms away so could not see the bar or any staff so would have to wander round the pub to find anyone to take an order. I was told that food could take 40mins. A family of 4 got the same treatment and walked out, as did another couple. The Manager walked off and showed no interest - so we joined the exodus.
Been going there with local family for 30 years and never seen a ruder or less interested manager. Many locals have also stopped going. This pub should have been full, but was sparsely populated and unfriendly - customers were an inconvenience!

Room Tip: go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tony G, Owner at Cross Keys Inn, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
We do stop serving food at 9pm which is the time you walked in. We had been extremely busy that night all my staff were busy cleaning behind the scenes, we did offer you some food in our bar area even though we had finished serving food. We had 22 people sleeping in our accommodation that night and my staff were preparing the restaurant for breakfast. You did not like the fact that you could not eat in the restaurant even though it was in a mess due to us having an extremely busy busy night. We are fully booked with rooms every weekend our bar is always full of locals, it is best to book a table with us these days as our food is that sought after. I think sir if you wish to be treated better you should enter an establishment at a reasonable time and or book a table, you were that rude that night with me and my staff that I had to ask you to leave, your remarks of crudity put other very good customers off my place that night.. And then you try to put people off by abusing a site like tripadvisor!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I spent a week here whilst working at the services on business, and thoroughly enjoyed it! I didn't eat anywhere else all week! All the bar staff were very friendly and there was a decent atmosphere in the bar, especially when the fire was burning. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The chalet style rooms at the back of the pub looked right over the rolling hills and I would probab...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Tony G, Manager at Cross Keys Inn, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for a great review I will pass it on...
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

My partner and I stayed here as a base for visiting the surrounding national parks. It's was a good budget price for a double ensuite room. The rooms were clean and had what you needed. The staff were really friendly and the food was tasty, home cooked fare. A comfy and pleasant place to spend a few days.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bakery_treats
Tony G, Manager at Cross Keys Inn, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Lovely comments thank you...
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Booked an overnight stay on way home from Lowther Show (have use inn for drinks a few times)
however on being shown to room no.4 we were met with a strong smell of damp in both bedroom and the bathroom, both bathroom with very old brown bath suite and bedroom with large scratch marks on door and skirting boards exposing bare wood the wardrobe with missing handle did not bode well for a nights stay so we paid up our £80.00 and promptly left, they did not seem surprise that we had only stayed in the room for max 5mins and did not enquire why we were leaving, but thanked us for the money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dianor
Tony G, Manager at Cross Keys Inn, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
The room you were checked into has only just been decorated, however I will check if damage has been done & I will fix it straight away. The bath is old but is very clean I keep it as its the only bath we have in the premises & some people like a bath. We are very busy this summer no body else has made a complaint about this room. However, when I go to a place I don't go just for the room, I go for ambiance, food, drink etc etc. I am sorry but you never gave us a chance for us to show you what we can do, food & drink etc. So I don't know how you can base your opinion on just a room.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed for two nights and found it enjoyable and relaxing we were made to feel extremely welcome by all the staff the food was excellent and reasonably priced this is a place we will be staying again soon

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank webby393
Tony G, Manager at Cross Keys Inn, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Once again thank you for lovely comments...
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We have visited the Cross Keys on numerous occasions over the past 3 years as we have a caravan sited 2 miles away at Westmorland and we have always found a warm welcome. The building itself is an old coach house from yesteryear situated in the village of Tebay. The location of the Cross Keys is ideal for visiting the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales or further afield. The service is second to none and the staff are always cheery and welcoming.
I cannot believe some of what the previous reviewers are suggesting and it isn't anything that we have encountered on many visits and we will continue to visit in the future, this was a great find and an establishment we will continue to use going forward.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sandonred
Tony G, Manager at Cross Keys Inn, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments I do know you both and yes you do visit us very often, thank you...
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Whow, we went in for a meal .. I ordered the Pate and chilli as main course. Pate ... bread, not toasted, no butter - salad 95% lettuce. Chilli: No Nachos as on menu, no soar cream ... asked Bar lady and she told us "we've run out" - but no mention of this when ordered. Chilli was slop - probably used for something else and a small amount of beans and spices added... When we left the Owner chased us into the garden where there were people accusing us of not paying for a coke .... we held our ground and he walked off in a huff ..... There are other places to eat in this area .... try them .. be warned and give this place a wide berth. This is expensive rubbish.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank G P
Tony G, Manager at Cross Keys Inn, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
You have eaten here many times before & never mentioned your experience. I remember well the fact I let you know we had no nachos you told me you were not bothered by it. You took a coke did not pay for & when I asked you refused because you did not get nachos, I did not make an issue as it was too busy & I did not wish to embarrass you in front of other guests. You like all customers were asked if your meals were good to which you both said "great thank you" if it was not good at the time why write a lie. Chilli & nachos is only £8.95 ... ???
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tebay
The Old School - Tebay
#1 of 1 in Nateby
The Black Swan
The Black Swan
#1 of 5 in Ravenstonedale

Been to Cross Keys Inn? Share your experiences!