“Good food. But..”

Cross Keys Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Tebay B&B and Inns
“Good food. But..”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

My family and I enjoyed a good meal here. The chicken goujons were great however two soups were warm not hot. The meals were pretty good and there was a lot of choice. My concern was that there was a large dog (obviously resident) that was thrown a ball a couple of times by the same person that took the order and served the food.

• Stayed May 2013
Tony G, Manager at Cross Keys Inn, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
If me or my staff handle my dog at any time or if we visit the toilet we all wash our hands in the bar area right in front of customers, I encourage this as its good hygiene practise. I would never take an order, serve a drink or take food to the table with anything less than totally hygienic hands or clothes etc..

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
East Yorkshire
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Nice beer; decent food at a fair price; my room was in need of decoration and a thorough spring clean. Nice log fire and a big breakfast. Cheap but not too cheerful as far as motorway stopovers go and close enough to the M6 to make an early start again the next morning when heading north or south.

Room Tip: Check what time the restaurant closes because if you arrive late there may be nowjere else to eat. E...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank EastYorkshireFingers
Tony G, Manager at Cross Keys Inn, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for your comments....
Maesteg, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We visited here on our way up to Scotland for a rugby weekend as its close to the motorway. The food choice was good and at a reasonable price. We all ate the steak and ale pie which was really tasty with lots of steak and full of flavor. Would definitely visit again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Tony G, Manager at Cross Keys Inn, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Lovely comments thank you...
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I note that most of the reviews are similar to my previous comments- "Dump." However, if you go to booking.com you will mainly positive reviews. I think the landlord is working overtime on sending the reviews. He certainly was not slow in sending me unpleasant emails after I stayed there in December 2011. I do not know what advice can be offered to the landlord but I note laterooms.com do not even give the place a star rating.

As far as the place is concerned, I will never be back and the landlord has put me off Tebay for life.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank jsfas
Tony G, Owner at Cross Keys Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I cannot place my own comments on Booking.com the comments on there are genuine as are the comments on freetobook.com. I am only just registered with laterooms hence the lack of comments or star rating. You have made your feelings public maybe you should just leave it at that, instead of commentg again on a visit that took place a long time ago!
T.Gerrard
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in room two upstairs with my daughter who was a baby at the time, the room had terrible damp problems, which was just the start, 2 am and the damp ceiling caved in and fell in my babys cot covering her in rubble. This could have killed my daughter!! There was no one around to tell them what had happened at the time so I had to stay in another open, empty room that night. In the morning the landlord looked more worrird about what would happen to him rather than what had happened and simply blamed the brewery. The legal case is ongoing and the brewery are trying everything they can to squirm out of responsibility for this. It is disgusting and atrocious that this happened to a baby of less than a year old and nobody wants to take responsibility!!!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank janette1968
Tony G, Owner at Cross Keys Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I would like to put the record straight regarding this review as you are only reading one side of a long story. Yes the cieling did fall on on your daughter however you were the head chefs wife & all of you were staying here for free for nearly two months, as I was helping you out while you found accomodation in the village. Both yourself & your husband had my mobile number but you did not want to wake me up. I was extremely upset when I found out what had happened & my only concern was for your daughter. I then moved you all to one of my better rooms in the garden. I remember your husband telling me he was going to push the insurance company for compensation, to which I was 100% okay with as it would not effect my premiums whatsoever. Unfortunately I had to sack your husband for criminal damage to my property, hence the non truth comments from yourself. To be honest I am hurt by the fact that you would write such a comment when you know what happened was a complete accident & I was very upset by it, plus I tried my upmost to accomodate all your family settling into the village.
T.Gerrard
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We booked into the cross keys inn to break a journey from kent to scotland . Upon arrival due to a mix up with the bookings we were upgraded to en-suite double rooms which was no problem for us, we choose to dine in the restaurant and the food was excellent as was the choice of local ales , all in all a great place to dine and stay .

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank klethaby
Tony G, Manager at Cross Keys Inn, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Lovely comments thank you....
Cardiff
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Booked a room at this pub to break the journey from South Wales to Scotland and as we were talking our dog we required a dog friendly place. The staff at the Cross Keys couldn't do enough, and even set us a quiet table in the bar for breakfast so we could keep the dog with us as she was only 14 weeks old. We booked a garden suite as this was larger and could accomodate the dogs sleeping crate. An additional feature of the room was that it lead directly out on to the rear carpark so it was really easy to take the dog out for toileting. The room was modern and tastefully decorated in creams and maroons, with a double bed, sofa, TV and dining table.
The food was better than I was expecting and very tasty. Breakfast was good and provided a filling start to the day.

Room Tip: If you have dogs the only dog friendly rooms are the garden suites. These are ideal as the large pat...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tipsy252
Tony G, Manager at Cross Keys Inn, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you we try to get it right all of the time...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tebay
Tebay Services Hotel
#1 of 5 in Ravenstonedale
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 5 in Orton

Been to Cross Keys Inn? Share your experiences!