Tebay Services Hotel
$89
PremierInn.com
Thorns Hall(Sedbergh)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfarm shopservice stationservice areamotorway hotellog fireovernight stopbreak a long journeysouth of englandmotorway stopen route to scotlandlocal produceshortbread biscuitsground coffeelounge areabar menubunk bedsclassic room
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here as I needed a last minute stopover. Bit more expensive than my usual accommodation especially considering its basically beside a motorway. HOWEVER it is lovely!

LOCATION
Firstly although beside M6 - you wouldn't know it - Its far enough back you don't hear noise and the views are spectacular. Yes it is a motorway hotel but you wouldn't know it once you are in. However would not stay I think more than 1-2 nights

HOTEL
Lovely hotel with some really cosy places to sit and chill and watch the views or a lovely real fire in a snug area!!!

PARKING
Safe and easy parking

ROOM
Its obviously newly redone and I think I had classic room - it was nice but I think not quite the price point they are charging. However it is a lovely room with usual amenities (tea/coffee) etc
I didn't have a view and unlike others that reviewed I did not get bathrobes. However local toiletries were a wonderful touch - I kept the lemongrass soap as it smells heavenly. I would say above premier Inn standards on par in a more homely/local way to HIE hotels

RESTAURANT
Grrr this is where it all came crashing down for me - see service below. But to be fair to them the food did look lovely.

SERVICE
Great service at Reception.
However whole stay was marred by very rude service at the restaurant. After traveling up from London, all I wanted was a nice comfortable clean hotel room and something good to eat, One of the reasons I decided to pay the extra and stay here was the menu. However when I went to the restaurant before 6pm - asked the young lad whether I could order a meal and have it delivered to my room ( I was happy to wait if it couldn't be done until later on the evening).

As a single female I feel uncomfortable eating by myself in a restaurant - Anyhow I was abruptly told "no didn't think so", and he wandered off.

I mistakenly waited thinking he was going to ask a manager however ended up looking stupid as I realised he was basically just ignoring me. He could see me standing patiently waiting. It was so rude and ignorant.

So a little peed off I went back to the room and ate some biscuits - yep that was my dinner. I WAS SO BITTERLY DISAPPOINTED!!!

Yes there was room service menu but I did not fancy the menu choice - I wanted some fine food and really Cannot see what the problem was with asking for a good meal to be delivered to my room. Especially considering the price of the rooms. Any other hotel I have visited in this price bracket is usually happy to take my money for a meal.

Anyhow I was going to give this a 2 star review however it would be unfair to the hotel as overall its excellent just a shame about this one particular staff member, and yes perhaps I should have complained to the hotel manager. But I have a rule never complain about the food before they serve it as you never know what they might do ;-)

So a little disappointing and probably would not visit again due to no dinner in rooms

Room Tip: Maybe check which rooms have views before booking
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The hotel was very clean and comfortable. Good dog walking to be had a short distance from the hotel. Food was good on the whole. Helpful staff. The pictures don't do justice to this lovely location.We appreciated the use of local products and foods in the rooms and restaurant

Room Tip: Have a room over the moor with the motorway in the distance. We spent hours sheep watching.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2012

At my last count I have been to a quarter of the world countries. I have experienced good service and appalling service and the one thing that the UK generally does not do well is service and I feel obliged to point it out when I see it. It is rarely therefore that I come across somewhere that I feel at a loss in the complaining dept. Well the Westomoreland Hotel left my wife and I so pleased with our stay I had to balance the books and write to say how good it was.
The first thing that I would point out that its Quiet. It is tucked behind the service station and on the edge of moorland. Our room had french doors looking out to beautiful countryside. When there I opened the doors, put my feet up opened up the complementary Sunday Times and spent the most pleasant hour catching up with the weeks news whilst my good lady availed herself of the very nice bath and shower. But Im missing possibly the best part. The BED. What felt like an acre of comfy goodness awaits you and trust me, we had trouble getting out of it. Im saying that the bed was the best part, actually it wasn't. Never and I mean never in many years have I come across and without exception a more welcoming and pleasant group of staff. Always a smile and nothing too much trouble. They were an absolute credit to the manager and i have to say whatever you are doing keep doing it as our stay was perfect in every sense.
I am very hard to please but please me it did. I can recommend this hotel 100%

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Don't be fooled into thinking this is a motorway basics hotel, the restaurant and little touches put this in a class of it's own.

I've stayed at the Westmorland Hotel a number of times to break the long journey from Winchester to Inverness but for some reason haven't reviewed it until now.

Most recently we stayed in August and managed to get there early enough for dinner in the restaurant. This experience took us from seeing Westmorland as a handy and pleasant stopover to a credible destination hotel. The food was outstanding. I had a slow cooked local venison dish that I still dream of, it was melt in the mouth, ambrosial, rich and comforting. Matt had a beef fillet that was perfectly cooked and beautifully seasoned and we washed it down with a lovely Argentinian Malbec picked from a very credible wine list. All this was enjoyed at our table overlooking the stream that runs along the side of the hotel, and provides a perfect border to the view of moor and mountain. You would not know you were anywhere near the M6!

And thence to bed; the size of the room, the little touches (bathrobe, gorgeous soaps, kendall mint cake) are nudging towards the sort of experience you might get in a small boutique hotel, not a motorway stop over.

All in all a reliable and relaxing experience. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoeyRoey
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Travelling back from Abersoch to Peebles on Friday night, decided to break our journey and extend the holiday.
Took the last room available (Longdale) at 11pm and negotiated a small discount as it is a Junior Suite. Amazed to find filter coffee maker in the room and handmade biscuits not the usual shortbread and sachets.
We were lucky to wake to a clear sky and postcard perfect views.
Breakfast was another delight, I enjoyed reconstituted dried fruit in syrup followed by Craster Kipper and a poached egg. The restaurant has been cleverly designed so that all tables have a view from the panoramic windows.
All in all a great find.

Room Tip: Choose a Junior Suite just a bit more than a standard room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple