“Delicous Breakfast and Wonderful Host”
Review of Cleburne Homestead

Cleburne Homestead
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I recently spent one night in the Homestead Suite which is located in the original homestead building. The room was on the small side, but quite adequate for my needs and there is an adjacent guest lounge. There were a couple of things about the bathroom in particular which did not suit me - I am a short person and found the basins and mirror far too high and a little more bench space would be useful.
These little problems were more than made up for by the wonderful, friendly host (Penelope). Her breakfast was delicous and she also provided me with a lunch pack (at no extra charge). I would stay here again just to enjoy her hospitality.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DeeBee31

Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent one night in the Bakehouse. Despite the freeway running close to the property we were not disturbed by any traffic noise once in our room. This property is amazing. It's like being in a real French provincial village. The buildings date back over 150 years and are beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable with all of the mod cons. Being so close to Hobart was great. Our hosts David and Penelope couldn't have been more obliging, even to the point of rushing back from the city when I stupidly had to retrieve a bag I had left in the room. The property abounds with ducks, geese, chickens, roosters, rabbits and peacocks. The location is also handy to the airport, the Botanical Gardens and the incredible Mona Museum. We can fully recommend.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Our 1st time at Cleburne Homestead Art Hotel was a few years go when we stayed in the Bakehouse Suite which was sumptuously renovated with a delightfully bright and spacious bedroom , separate Kitchen / dining space and modern bathroom with a fabulous bath.
This time round we had my young daughter with us so we stayed in the old Cottage which has a bright and airy upstairs double bedroom and bathroom with lounge/dining/kitchen space downstairs with comfortable day beds and a combustion wood heater that kept the whole cottage lovely and warm.
Both times we enjoyed Penny's wonderful , quality breakfasts in the Homesteads dinning room while chatting with her about the local arts community and the nearby MONA Gallery. We totally enjoyed both times we have stayed here, whether as a couple or as a family,and have no trouble in fully recommending it to to others .

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here the last few nights In "the barn" room. Super comfy 4 poster king bed , amazing property with great views of mt Wellington and the geese/chickens & peacocks are lovely additions to the atmosphere of this place. The owner Penelope was simply lovely and always up for a good chat. I can't recommend this place more highly

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I thought I was driving into a place in Provence, France when I arrived at Cleburne Homestead. Beautiful stone buildings and cobbled courtyard greeted me. But inside the buildings it's all very modern and comfortable. The large dining table and open fire provides a warm and welcoming start to the day. Breakfast is delicious - stewed fruit and cereals, cold platter of cheese, meat, fish, olives, salad (very European) and, of course, toast and jams.
It is very close to MONA by car and you do need to hire a car. Reasonable rates at Cleburne and lots of animals on the property - alpacas, peacocks, geese, rabbits. I thought I was in the country but really the road is very close so it was easy to into Hobart and to all the fantastic Tassie spots further afield.

Room Tip: I like the Homestead because it's close to the dining room!!! The others are only a step across...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Penelope A, Owner at Cleburne Homestead, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thanks for a beautifully written review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. Hope you will stay with us again when next you visit MONA. Warm regards, Penelope and David.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

My Husband and I recently stayed in the Cottage and I can only say positive things about our stay there. Penelope was a wonderful host and we ended up chatting over breakfast for several hours. The Cottage was everything we expected a mixture of that unique Tasmanian Historical quaintness and yet was still clean and modern. Lovely sheets and the roaring fire was awesome. Thankyou Penelope for a really special stay and we would happily return next visit.

Room Tip: We loved the Cottage though all the other buildings are very pretty.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for a great review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I certainly enjoyed your company and hearing your stories. Warm regards, Penelope..

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I just want to say that this place it is really nice to stay!!!!! I went with my husband and my parents. We stay in the cottage, it is really good place for a couple with 1 or 2 children, because they do not have two queens beds there; However, my husband and I did not mind staying in single beds because the house and the people there were awesome with us. The cottage was really clean and have a fireplace which is fixed every day, so you do not have to worry about the wood ;). Again thank you very much for giving us a wonderful time ;)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Hi Juliana, thank you for your wonderful review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope your parents have had a terrific holiday exploring the rest of Australia with you. Warm regards, Penelope and David.

Been to Cleburne Homestead? Share your experiences!