“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Go Vino

Go Vino
Cuisines: European, Fusion, Wine Bar, New Zealand
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Go Vino has taken the Spanish concept of tapas and evolved it for a New Zealand environment. Go Vino's shared plates (Kaizen dishes) are bigger and more complex than traditional tapas. The dishes also feature ingredients and flavours distinct to New Zealand. Drawing on quality seasonal produce Chef Gabriel Moraes creates a Kaizen menu which changes every few months. Perfectly designed dishes can be enjoyed as a snack or as a complete meal over the course of an evening. Please be aware that we are not located directly in Whitianga, but in Cooks Beach, a short ferry ride and taxi away.
London, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Delicious food and great service. Marquee campfire dessert highly recommended. Waiter in duty, Shanan, was particularly helpful and provided great customer service.

London, United Kingdom
“An amazing find”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

What an amazing find. No way did we expect a restaurant of this quality with the name of 'Go Vino', so very deceptive. It wasn't italian as I expected but wonderful tasting plates. The spinach gnocchi and steak tartar were delicious and the cheesecake, just a dream. This restaurant should be in Auckland, or London where I live so I could frequent it regularly.

• Visited February 2014
Almonte, Canada
“Great tapas!”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Excellent food - choice of tasting plates chosen by the chef or individual dishes. We chose the latter and were not disappointed. Beautifully presented food and very tasty. Excellent attention paid by the staff as dishes are presented one at a time with a slight overlap.

Visited February 2014
Stratford upon Avon, United Kingdom
“Fantastic find”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

What a fabulous find in the middle of Cooks beach , immaculate restaurant with plenty of choice, well worth a visit.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Ali-Henrik
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Room for Improvemeny”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We were a party of 4 and ordered the tasting menu. Out of the 9 dishes we were served, only a couple really stood out - the bacon salad with omelette croutons and the ostrich loin with potatoes. Sadly, the others lacked real impact (and since when were falafel considered to be Spanish?). I think they could also do with serving a few side dishes along the way as we ended up ordering some bread to bulk things out. And finally, with 9 courses, you'd normally expect a few more meat dishes but we predominantly got vegetarian or fish (the first sign of meat was at plate number 7! Finally, you'd also expect the last course to be something sweet, but that didn't happen so we ended up having to order ice cream off the dessert menu.
I don't doubt this place invests passion and care in what they do but for me, I think the concept of mixing high end dining with tapas style dishes leaves me a tad confused. Though looking at the other reviews, I guess I'm in a minority.

• Visited February 2014
drialnayr, Owner at Go Vino, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thanks for you feedback.

I'm sorry you didn't love your Go Vino experience. At the time I thought that your table was enjoying the evening.

You opted for the tasting menu which should have been explained only consist of our Kaizen dishes. For four people this is 9 courses made up of 3 vegetarian, 3 seafood and 3 meat courses at $44 per person. We are happy to provide bread with your meal but do not encourage it as many people find the full 9 courses difficult to finish when bread is added.

We are not a Spanish restaurant (although the style of serving is Spanish influenced) and take inspiration from all regions. Our pork dish currently has Thai flavours, our gurnard ceviche is Peruvian and I'm not sure where our duck dish idea came from.

Our style is not for everyone, but I apologise that we could not impress you on your visit.