“Perfect getaway”
Review of Iron Duke

Iron Duke
Iron Duke
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We recently stayed at the Iron Duke for two nights on a friends recommendation. If your looking for a breakaway from the city or just to be surrounded by beautiful British countryside then this place ticks all those boxes. A cheerful and friendly chap met us when we arrived and we were lucky enough to get the 'room with the bath' which has lovely views over said countryside - a perfect start to anyday!

Our room was lovely and warm so after a cold day visiting the local area it was nice to come back to a toasty room. There's plenty of space, complete with iron, ironing board and a decent and powerful hair dryer too!

We didn't get a chance to sample dinner here, but did enjoy a few drinks in the lounge and read some very lovely reviews, maybe we'll get the opportunity to try dinner on our next stay - There will certainly be one!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jenks2010
There are newer reviews for Iron Duke

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Iron Duke is gastro-pub with rooms, conveniently located just off the A33 about half way between Reading and Basingstoke.

There's no on-line booking facility and no-one was answering when I rang just before 10.00 am. However, they did pick up the answerphone message and called me back within the hour.

Reception is at the bar which was fairly quiet when I arrived. The young lady was extremely friendly and welcoming, offered to carry my bags, showed me to the room and asked if we wanted a table for supper. Room was reasonably sized with what is possibly the biggest TV I've ever seen in a hotel room, 'Boy's toys' according to the girl behind the bar and an enormous bathroom with a freestanding bath and lots of sunken lights. Very romantic but a bit over the top if all you're after is a quick shower.

Very good menu for supper although it was quite slow coming as they were very busy with a large, and somewhat noisy, party the other side of the bar. However, food was very good and was definitely worth the wait.

The bar doesn't open until 10.00 am so Breakfast is a serve yourself picnic bag; Orange Juice, Danish pastry etc provided the night before to eat in your room.

Overall, although I'd quite like a bit more variety at breakfast, the Iron Duke was a nice place to stay.

Decent, affordable accommodation in the triangle between Reading, Basingstoke and Farnborough is rather hard to find. The Iron Duke seems to fill that niche quite nicely so I'll go back next time I have to stay in the area.

However, hopefully by then they will have an on line availability checker if they're not open until late in the morning!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Man-in-a-car
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Sunday lunch very disappointing, everything had obviously been cooked the day before. In particular the yorkshire puddings were revolting, the colour and consistency of yellow cardboard.
When we booked they said we would have a private room off the main bar but when we arrived we were shown a table in the centre of the main room. Only after we objected they gave us a table in the window.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Brumhilda
Jameswpoole, Owner at Iron Duke, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Many thanks for your comments. We cook all of our Yorkshire Puddings every Sunday before service. Cardboard? Personally I haven’t tried cardboard but I’ll leave you to be the judge of that – you sound like an expert. With regards to the comment of the colour of the Yorkshire Puddings, our hens had delightfully laid them that morning and a couple of days prior, but I’ll have a word with them and ask them not to create such wonderful, yellow, free range eggs.

Regards,

James

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We are lucky enough to have this pub as our local. You are always greeted with a cheery smile and nothing is too much trouble. The pub feels very friendly and personal and the food is consistently good.
The owners are happy to accept muddy wellied walkers, dogs and children, but seem to also be able to maintain a degree of smartness and sophistication.
A lovely pub for a romantic meal, family get together or drink with friends.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Anna H
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed two nights, and had a wonderful experience. Our upstairs suite had been refurbished very stylishly and yet still maintained a warm country cottage style feel. We were highly impressed with our accommodation. Downstairs in the restaurant we enjoyed 3 meals during our stay, of which all of them were superb. We wished we could've stayed longer to try everything on the menu. Compliments to the chef. The owners and staff could not have made us feel more relaxed and welcome. We switched from friendly chat at the bar, to relaxing in front of an open fire, and fine dining in the restaurant. We wish to thank the staff of the Iron Duke for making our stay so relaxing and enjoyable, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this venue to anyone looking for weekend away. We will look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Antara722
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here for one night in July 2012, it was fantastic, we were met by one of the owners who made us feel at home, he showed us to our room, asking if we would like drinks brought up. We booked a table for that night and had what was a superb meal. The service was excellent very friendly but not pushy or intrusive. The room was fabulous (the bath was great!). This is a great hotel for a relaxing break and we look forward to visiting again. Glad we found it!!

Room Tip: Definately go for the room with 'the bath' lovely room with great country side views
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jamesp1Wales
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I booked the Iron Duke for my husbands surprise 50th birthday party & I can't speak highly enough of the venue. I had eaten there in the past and was impressed by the quality so I booked up as soon as I started my planning. We had exclusive use which was ideal for our party size.

The feedback from our guests on the venue, quality of food & hospitality has been superb. Everyone had a great time and it was a pleasure for me to organise the event with the team who made my job easier due to their professionalism and attention to detail. They were on the ball all night making sure everything ran to plan, that everyone was happy & accommodating those last minute requests.

We had a truely fantastic night & would not hesitate to recommend the Iron Duke to anyone who will listen :)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Sandford Springs Hotel
Sandford Springs Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kingsclere
The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant
Premier Inn Reading South (Grazeley Green)
The Hind's Head
The Hind's Head
#1 of 1 in Aldermaston
Red Kite House Hotel
Red Kite House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Burghfield

Been to Iron Duke? Share your experiences!