Wow, Katana Villa was my favorite place that I stayed while in Bali. The decor of the place is so unique and it seems they thought of every tiny detail when designing it.
Leslie, the owner, was prompt and warm in her responses and provided all the information I needed.
The people who work at Katana Villa (Made Sani, Wayan) are equally warm and helpful.
- The bathroom was so unique. There in a large tub, a shower that comes down over a beautiful statue, and Sandalwood soaps.
- The bedroom is huge and the bed is so comfortable. The room opens up to a balcony that overlooks the pool and beyond that a beautiful view.
- Breakfast was delicious - fresh fruit, coffee, eggs, toast. It was so peaceful to sit in the kitchen area.
-The place feels luxurious while still homelike and that you're part of nature rather than staying indoors away from it. And in Bali, that was what I was looking for.
- The area of Amed is beautiful. It feels less touristy than the other parts of Bali I had visited in the same trip (Ubud, Jimbaran, Ulu Watu). I went for a long walk one morning along the coastline and that was one of my favorite mornings on my trip. There is snorkeling, diving, or you can just sit on the beach and take in how beautiful it is. For just a 4 hour drive from Ubud, I am so glad that I came out to Amed and spent time there.
- I was looking for a few days of relaxation and this was my first time traveling solo - Katana was the perfect place to stay. I hope to return one day with friends/family!! If you have the chance to stay here, definitely book it.
Thank you so much Leslie!!
I red a lot of reviews before my trip in June 2013. And there was no one even with rating 4, only 5. So, yes, Katana has its own magic.
However, possibly this villa is not your type of, if:
1. You are afraid of insects and animals (bats, lizards,frogs, etc.).
2. You are addicted to 5 stars hotels, nevertheless service was excellent
Now few tips:
1. Beach - we didn't like the nearby beach (just few minutes walking), so ask Wayan and he'll explain the road to the good one or deliver you. Keep in mind, that beach chairs and umbrellas for fee
2. Fishing - possibly, we're not lucky, but fishing with local fisherman was not too exciting
3. Snorkeling - there are few good snorkeling places not far from villa. Better to have your own gear.
4. Breakfast - was perfect
5. Lunch and Dinner. You can ask to serve both on villa or there are few outside places. The nearest one is just on the beach
6. Insects - periodically check your luggage. we found ants in it and spent an hour to rid of. Ask for repellent
7. Blackout - we had it once. Thanks to Wayan, he arrived quickly and fixed the issues.
P.S. I would like to say thank you for all Katana villa staff. All of them were extremely helpful. Special thanks to Wayan.
Katana Villa was a little slice of heaven. The attention to detail that was put into the architectural design is amazing. We ventured out in the evening to see the sunset and explore the area a bit but other than that we spent our time at the villa. There is really no reason to leave the peace and tranquility that Katana offers. The staff were wonderful and took great care in making sure we had everything we needed. I loved the privacy we had and having the whole pool and grounds to ourselves. I hope to make it back to Bali again in the future and when I do Katana Villa will be a must on my itinerary.
I just wanted to give a shout out to the the Katana Villa owner Leslie. She was prompt with her responses and was very understanding about our scheduling limitations. Although our plans didn't pan out this time we will do whatever it takes to visit this magical place again!!!!
Katana is a magical place! I saw the pictures before we went there and they were amazing but seeing the place made me loose my words. We walked into a peace of paradise. The architecture of the villa and the pool is so different, something i've never seen before (and I travel a lot in world). There are so many details in every room that i found new surprises every day. Antiques, art and things from all over the world make the villa a huge piece of art!
The more than friendly smiles of Wayan, Made Sani, Iluh Eka made me so happy. The staff contributed a huge part in my well-feeling during my stay. Made Sani showed us around the area, took us to markets and temples and cooked the best food.
The monkey who lives there is so cute, geisha the watchdog is so beautiful and sweet with the cats. Toby though, the parrot became my favourite pet :-)
Leslie, with her beautiful spirit makes this place a piece of paradise! I am so grateful to know Leslie and to have stayed at Katana. This adventure will stay in my heart and I will definitely come back!
I really didnt want to write this review. I wanted to keep Katana Villa to myself. It has taken me 6 months to overcome my selfishness. Myself, my partner and his two adult children and a girlfriend stayed at Katana Villa for a week in September 2013. On returning to Australia we rebooked for 2 weeks May/June 2014. I dont believe there will be anyplace else I will stay in Bali.
I will try to cover in my review information that isnt on the website.
Go to Katana Villa, Ahmed if you enjoy:
1 / Fantastic value for money - Ok Bali in general is good value for Australians. Still, the rates at Katana and what you get for your money for breakfast, service and facilities (free use of mopeds, snorkelling gear etc) is outstanding. Compare it to Balinese hotels and see for your self.
2 / Exemplary. polite, friendly service. - Katana's staff is part of Ameircan owner Leslie Careltons 'balinese family'. They are their own family too, with husbands, wives, sisters, etc all involved as chefs, housekeeping, groundsmen, drivers, tour guides etc. Their warmth, enthusiasm and generosity in sharing their homes/village/culture is genuine and heartfelt. We also had the privilege of meeting Katana owner and creator, the beautiful and gracious Leslie. Who thankfully had a vision of creating a magnificent home that she could share with others when family or business took her away.
3 / Beautiful and unique architecture, decor. - 5 days were not enough to absorb the unique detailing of the property. Has an eclectic and exotic collection of Fine arts, photos, sculpture and furnishings from around the globe. Each piece has a story from the cutlery to the imported flagstones. I was fortunate to get a tour of the home from Leslie herself.
4 / All Creatures Great and Small - Leslie and the staff appreciate and honour nature. Katana is an animal lovers paradise. The beauty of our natural world is represented in the art, garden and the feathered, furred and scaled friends you share the villa compound with.
5 / Privacy with a view - A large gym, ALL TO YOURSELF, in a tropical paradise. A big pool with water slide, ALL TO YOURSELF. lush tropical gardens, never to be built out views (Leslie bought the surrounding land to ensure it).
6 / The Best Driver in Bali - She will be embarrassed I said that, but one of Leslies BF's not only owns and runs a fantastic restaurant with the BEST views, she is a powerhouse force of nature, single Mum to 2 gorgeous kids and does the driving for Katana Villa guests. You will not find a better/quicker transport or a bigger smile than Made Sani.
7 / World class snorkelling and diving
DO NOT go to Katana Villa or Ahmed if:
1 / You are seeking lots of shops or hawkers or crowds.
2 / You want to go clubbing, discos, bands.
3 / You want to hang around loud drunk people and be uncouth yourself.
4 / You want a sterile environment -Katana villa is VERY clean and tidy but it is an open air pavilion. A few insects may hang around, a few leaves may blow in. Its all part of the charm.
Enjoy Katana, but please, hush. Don't tell your friends. :-)
Liane Gorham and Rod Pry
Amed is developing rapidly and getting busier every year, so it is a pleasure to see that there are still hidden-away treasures to be found there. Katana Villa is such a gem. I spent 10 healing days in February and thoroughly loved it. It's a joy to explore the local attractions (snorkelling, nice restaurants,... A scooter is even included with the rental) and come back to this luxurious haven. The atmosphere is magical, like living in a fairy tale, with the curved lines, the waterfall flowing and the frogs singing away at night. The staff, with Wayan and his charming wife Iluh, are truly caring and going out of their way with their heart-felt support. Out of the three available bedrooms I only used the main one, but the other two look just as special. And the view is exceptional, with the sea on one side and the mountain on the other one.