“Paradise, beauty and the feeling of home”

Review of Katana Villa

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Villa -
3 Bedrooms, 4 Bathrooms, Sleeps 8
Bunutan, Karangasem, Bali

Reviews from our community

Excellent - based on 73 reviews

Reviews from our community

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Chinese (Simplified) first
Swedish first
Any
orchidsan...
Tubingen, Germany
“Paradise, beauty and the feeling of home”
Reviewed February 26, 2013 for a stay in February 2013

Friday evening, Made kindly picked us up at the airport and brought us safely to your beautiful home. Everyone was there to greet us at midnight, Wajan and his family and Geisha, the guardian, who only made friends with us the next morning after checking us out.

We are marveling at the overall design of a very special Asian garden, pools and house.
It is not merely a lovely private home, it is an awe-inspiring museum that you have created.

we are marveling, too, at the magnificent, ever-changing view from the master-bedroom, at the beauty of the furniture, the fantastic craftsmanship, the imagination of the woodcarvers, the dignity of the various doors and pillars, indicating the transition from the profane to the sacred, from "outside" to "inside".

We can see that you had happy young children in mind, by constructing a water slide and a cave to swim through, complete with smiling deer to encourage the faint of heart. there is a fabulous gymnasium for those who wish to stay fit, a library for days of heavy monsoon rains, beautiful works of art from Africa, lofty ceilings and traditional, thatched Balinese roofs where natural air circulation takes place.

The bathroom off the master bedroom is an enchanting place to be, to look out over the mountains and the treetops, under the eyes of a gentle Buddha and two friendly lions. The bow and arrow, the dagger, inlaid or painted on the floor, are they part of some Hindu legend?

We began our day snorkeling on Jelekud ? beach, finding many colorful fish around the coral reef, and we ended our day by swimming under a starry sky in your heavenly pool, eye to eye with a little frog who disappeared into the night.

We are feeling very much at home, very much pampered by your staff, and it is obvious that they take both pride and pleasure in looking after your home.
Were we ever to spend longer time here, I would want to do something useful and help the children learn or practice their English. They seem bright and eager to learn.

We can imagine that you are missing Katana Villa, especially during the cold winter in Germany. we send you a package full of soothing sounds and smells, the gentle croaking of a frog, the perfume of your white Frangipani, and the sound of the wind and the surf.

With all our good wishes to you,

Claudia and Eberhart

Traveling group: Couples
May 4, 2017
Dear Claudia,I know I thanked you at the time I first read your review, but have not had a chance to publicly thank you for taking the time to write something so lovely and vivid.
I hope you and Eberhart are doing well and we hope to welcome you back one day!
JackieVeg...
Australind, Australia
“What a Magical Experience 15-Jan 2013 to 28-Jan 2013”
Reviewed February 4, 2013 for a stay in January 2013

WOW where do we start!

We stayed at the villa for two weeks and everyone was so attentive...even the animals :-)
THe staff were to die for. They always made sure we were safe, well and always made sure everything was ok for us at the villa. Wayan's breakfast's were THE best! No where else serves better pancakes:-)
The pool was amazing, the whole villa was amazing, the animals and the staff were the best. We have felt as though we have made a real bond with the people there and Leslie also with keeping up with the emails :-)
This is an experience you or anyone could never forget. We had such a relaxing time. If you ever needed something, the staff were always there to help you out.
It was THE holiday we will never, ever forget! We are missing everyone over there immensley due to feeling the bond that we made.
Waeni's was gorgeous! The meal and cocktails were to die for!
Leslie, thankyou so much for everything you have provided to us. You have made this holiday such a memorable experience and your staff are so valuable!

Traveling group: Family
May 4, 2017
Jackie!! Sorry for the delay in responding to your very kind review! I remember you well. Everyone is doing great at Katana... all the animals are still good. Shuto has grown and now we have a new rescue... a baby luwak named Moley. have you seen our Facebook page? Glad you liked the pancakes so much! I thought them how to make it 'french style'... more like a crepe than like the rubber pancakes that are served at other places. But now since Katana's pancakes have gotten somewhat famous in Amed... other places are stealing my recipe!!! haha.....
We hope to welcome your lovely family back one day !
krismic13
USA
“Like I moved into my dream home for a week”
Reviewed December 11, 2012 for a stay in November 2012

As soon as I entered the grounds of Katana Villa it was like I was at home. I felt at peace there and was so inspired by the beauty. The views were spectacular, the rooms were amazing- so creative and cozy at the same time. There were so many details to take in and enjoy.
The combination kitchen, dining and sitting area was my favorite hangout because of the openness and the comfort of the decor as well as the views! The pool with the view out to the sea kept a smile on my face as I relaxed chatting with friends or catching up on computer stuff via the wifi.
The staff were impeccable. They were sweet, organized and thoughtful in their every action. I really appreciated them, especially when I came down with laryngitis and they did little acts of kindness to make me feel taken care of. Beautiful people. And the breakfasts they made us every morning were divine.

I felt really welcomed and held by this place and these people. It was a wonderful experience that I look forward to having again one day. Leslie you have really created something special and I'm really grateful to you for sharing it...especially to have Thanksgiving altogether there too! My birthday celebration was exponentially enhanced by having time in this house with my friends. Thank you.

May 4, 2017
Awww.... thank you! I wish I saw this review sooner. Yes!! Thanksgiving was fabulous and I can't thank you enough for making that such a great moment at Katana villa. If you can read this... please contact me. I have lost your contact info. Thanks ;-)
BK2DEL
India
“Tranquility”
Reviewed December 9, 2012 for a stay in November 2012

I recently spent a week at Katana Villa with 7 friends and had the most magical time.
Very artistically decorated, it felt more like I was visiting a friends house rather than a vacation rental. Each room is unique and inspiring, beautiful modern kitchen and comfy living room. The swimming pool and the views were undoubtedly the winners. The hillside location was most ideallic for breezy days and wonderful views of the sunrise over the ocean.
And undoubtedly the hospitality of the staff completed a wonderful stay. We often joked at B'fast that we didn't know we were checking into the Ritz. Excellent warm and gracious service at all times.
I'll surely be back!

May 4, 2017
Katana the Ritz! I love it... I might use that ;-)
I am very glad you enjoyed yourselves so much.. and thank you for the great review. We hope to welcome you back one day!
MattKiszk...
Boulder, Colorado
“The most special part of my stay in Bali”
Reviewed October 14, 2012 for a stay in November 2011

I had a wonderful time in Bali when I stayed there for 6 weeks back in 2011, and the highlight of the time I spent there was Katana Villa. The accommodations are unmatched, and the privacy of the grounds is simply delightful. Not to mention that Katana has an amazing energy that you can feel has been nurtured and embraced over the years, all of which come to together to make for an amazing stay.

I loved the open-plan approach that the place has been designed around, and who can argue with a pool that has a water slide and a waterfall! I remember each evening I spent there well, and will never forget the delightful lull of the geckos and other sounds of the jungle that permeate the quieter moments you'll relish at Katana Villa.

Amed, the town in which Katana Villa is located, is also very peaceful and relaxing. This is the perfect place to get away from some of the hustle and bustle of the busier parts of Bali and experience the true essence of this magical island.

Cleanliness Service
Traveling group: Couples
Dec 6, 2012
Ahhh, yes, you were one of our first visitors. As I remember you were traveling the world! It was a pleasure to have you and thank you so much for all the amazing photos you gave us, which we have been using in our albums and on our facebook page. I would also like to thank you for sorting out all our TV cables!! We certainly hope you will return again one day ...Katana will be waiting for you with open arms! Cheers!
rubijw
Singapore, Singapore
“The feeling was magic and a memory for a lifetime”
Reviewed October 13, 2012 for a stay in November 2011
person found this review helpful

I visited Katana Villa last year in 2011, and the feeling I had when I first walked in is still so vivid in my mind. The feeling was magic.
I was surprised how the energy at Katana Villa made me feel. Everything was put together with so much thought and care... with so much attention to detail, colors, art placement, architecture and decor. I use Feng Shui in my own home. So, when I saw how the owner Leslie Carleton used Fang Shui throughout the Villa and garden, I was impressed. The feeling there is healing and calming, and from what I have heard from others that have visited after me, this energy has grown even more.
I also enjoyed very much the movement and sounds of the water cascades, fish & turtle ponds. She even has silver cutlery, which gives a touch of class each morning for breakfast. By the way, I highly recommend the pancakes. Normally the pancakes in Bali are like rock mixed with rubber, but at Katana the pancakes are more in the French style; thin and light with a pinch of almond. (I ate too many!)
I slept in the Moon Bungalow and found it was quite romantic and tranquil. I enjoyed the bath in the outdoor bathroom with a frog as the spout! If you take a bath, be sure to ask the staff to boil up a couple pots of water to add to your tub because the hot water tank is not large enough to fill a full tub. Or, you can just take a cooling bath instead.
My friends stayed in the Master Suite, where we all sat together in the late afternoons on the upper deck to have our tea or play a game of chess while we enjoyed the view. And even though none of us slept in the family suite, they kept the door unlocked, so we could go in and enjoy that space any time we wanted. They honestly did whatever they could to make us feel totally at home. I particularly enjoyed the pets. But Shuto the monkey is the one that won my heart. I was told that he is not keen on women and is unpredictable so they keep him away from the guests, but in my case for some reason he fell head over heels for me and I was fortunate the owner Leslie was in town at that time, so I was allowed to interact and swim with Shuto, which I understand now is a rare experience for women especially. Funny story; he was quite cheeky in the pool!! He kept going underwater to untie my swimsuit top and removing it, and then he would come up laughing! Embarrassing indeed!

While in Amed, I recommend taking a scooter ride along the coast. I did that a few times and truly enjoyed it. If you cannot drive one (like me), you can ask Wayan to escort you. Wayan and his wife Iluh are unbelievable. They took such great care of us while we were there... and I still think about them fondly. I also enjoyed my visits with the beautiful staff that lives in the Tower. (Iluh, Made and Ana Eka). My experience at katana Villa is a memory for a lifetime.

Dec 6, 2012
The katana Staff still think of you often, as a matter of fact, we now turn our bananas in the right direction when we place it on the counter top or hang them on the wall.... thanks to YOU for teaching us how to prevent bruising... you were an excellent teacher for anything in the kitchen! I was also blessed to have met you during your stay here and have since become friends. Shuto the monkey certainly did enjoy undressing you in the pool!! That was so funny!! Thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review... I know you will return one day - Singapore is so close!!
Morgan D
“Diamond among diamonds”
Reviewed October 10, 2012 for a stay in March 2012
person found this review helpful

Bali is already a spectacular getaway in itself. And honestly, it is filled with excellent accommodation with superior customer service anywhere you go, but Katana villa should be marked as the most special. We stayed in Bali for six weeks and spent a week at the Villa and it was definitely the highlight of the trip. It's such a special place where you get to relax and enjoy the quite paradise like solitude that westerners imagine Bali to be. It's surrounded by stunning jungle and rice terraces, and the crystal clear blue waters are right outside your front door. And then there is the villa itself! You could stay there and that would be perfection alone. It's an amazing indoor/outdoor set-up that lends to the beauty of the villa and the surrounding natural environment. There's a pool WITH a water slide AND a cave and is pretty much your own little adventure - whether you have kids to splash around with, you are having a party with friends, or you need that perfect private romantic vacation. This is the place. Finally, there is the staff - that couldn't be more hospitable and kind. They are courteous and fun when you need them, and take care of everything as if they weren't even there. We actually became great friends with one, who took us to his native village for a special ceremony and showed us around the jungle behind the house on a great adventure (he was barefoot). It was both the true Balinese experience we were hoping for but couldn't find in the bigger urban areas that our overcrowded with tourism (but still beautiful) and the luxurious tropical luxury we were hoping for. I can't wait to return!

Dec 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review! Every review really does matter to help us get seen. I must say it was a pleasure to have you and we certainly look forward to your return! And offer a 10% discount to all of our returning visitors.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing