“Excellent Beer, Massively busy.”
Review of The Ship Inn

The Ship Inn
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Brilliant beer, beautiful location, hard working staff but too busy to ensure relaxation. OK, I know this is my fault, but I don't like to wait 15 minutes for a pint, while everybody in the queue in front orders frappolappoccino coffees that take ages to prepare. I also am not a big fan of pubs that are full of Peruvian knitwear wearing children, whose parents are not over fond of discipline. I'm a teacher and found it quite hard to bite my tongue as "Jonty" and "Jocasta" behaved in an appalling manner. I fully understand that this is not "The Ship's" fault, but it did spoil what could have been an excellent afternoon pint. There, I've said it, and I'm obviously turning into an old, miserable misanthrope. I do like a relaxing pint, though. I will definitely visit again, but try to go at a quieter time.

2  Thank Fusilier21

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Stopped for a coffee break after walking from Craster. Very pleasant with quick service by pleasant staff.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

We came to the Ship Inn after a working up an appetite walking along the coast. The staff were friendly and we were served quickly, even though there were quite a few other customers. The food (ploughman's and kipper pâté) was good and came in generous portions.
Rather bravely for the time of year, we had our meal outside because the view of the sea was just too beautiful to give up, and it was so peaceful just listening to the crash of the waves.
The only downside is they don't accept card payments of any kind, which was disappointing as it rather narrowed our choices from the menu. This was a shame as there were other meals with tasty-sounding, locally-sourced ingredients that I would have really liked to try.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Good beer and great location - what's not to like? Well, being treated like an alien for offering a bankcard - referred to sneeringly as "plastic"! As we had already run up a bill, there followed a rigmarole of giving name and address (we live locally but were asked where we were "staying", like tourists) and then you have to take away the Ship's bank details and pay by BACS. I was told to pay straightaway - really! My crab sandwich had bits of shell in it, but was otherwise fresh and hearty. No cheap though. The beach at Newton is simply divine, and the pub is lucky to have it!

1  Thank B4207FHrobert
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Dogs are allowed woo-hoo!!!!! Mr Charlie (our dog) loves this. My boyfriend had the Seawheat Beer which he loved and we both had the crab stottie. The whole concept of this pub has everything that we like, good food, good beer (their own micro-brewery), everything there is fantastic from land or sea to plate, which makes it amazingly fresh, get there early or miss out.