“Lovely Spa Hotel”

Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chilworth
Reviewed April 13, 2014

My partner and I booked a room here as we were attending a social event. We were greeted by a lady on reception named Viv, who was lovely and very welcoming.
We did struggle to find our room, as it did seem a little like a maze at one point.
Our room was small but very pleasant. Spotlessly clean and airy. The spa facilities were excellent, with a very spacious pool and it was lovely and quiet.

We didn't eat in the restaurant so I cannot comment about food, but overall we felt it was exceptional value for the amount we paid. This hotel is set in beautiful grounds. We went for a lovely walk around the grounds in the morning. The whole building and surrounding area had a feeling of tranquillity and peace.
We recommended this hotel to my sister and her partner who booked and stayed last week and they felt the same as we did about it. I am hoping to book a girlie weekend with my girlfriends for my birthday in July and I am really looking forward to returning.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kaykissyco
ChilworthManor, General Manager at Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Dear KayKissyco,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, it was wonderful to learn how you enjoyed your stay so much and that you will be back. If your looking for a girlie weekend with spa packages included please give Kris our Health Club Manager a call on 023 8076 3022, he’ll be delighted to assist you.

I will pass on your lovely comments regarding the cleanliness of your bedroom to Cheryl in Housekeeping and also to Viv who greeted you to the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor again in the near future.

Stephen Marriott

Write a ReviewReviews (1,444)

Reviewed April 7, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
ChilworthManor, General Manager at Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Stayed 3 nights March 2014. Quick friendly check-in. 1st room OK but window did not open for fresh air. Manager upgraded us to bigger room with new windows. Lovely country setting with ground adjoining a nature reserve, yet within easy reach of Southampton. Excellent friendly service and use of the adjoining leisure if you wanted. Booked with the Best Western Rewards scheme - Extremely good value.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear N C P,

Thank you for your lovely review. As I mentioned in my email although I am delighted the team reacted so swiftly to your issue with the window. Our goal is always to deliver a relaxing and hassle free experience our guests.

We hope to welcome you back to the BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor again in the future.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Our second stay and the big draw here is the food. If you book an all inclusive deal it's fantastic value. The evening meal was as good as anything we've eaten in high class restaurants. The breakfast buffet is extensive and the quality of bacon and sausage etc high compared to the 'economy' fare often served in the big chains.
It was our silver wedding anniversary and we decided to treat ourselves to a suite in the main building which was fantastic with views over the gardens. Last time we stayed in the modern addition which was comfortable and perfectly ok but lacked the character of the manor.
We would definitely recommend this hotel for comfort and value and hope to come back for a third time in the future.

Room Tip: The rooms in the old manor have more character. The rooms in the modern annexe are a bit characterle...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Kevsky42,

Thank you for such a lovely review, may I take this opportunity to congratulate you and your wife on your silver wedding anniversary. Thank you for choosing to celebrate with us.

I have to agree with your comments about our ‘fab food’ only last week we received a rosette from the AA inspector for the quality of our cuisine, something we are very proud of.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

I booked this stay as a birthday treat for my mum. No complaints on the room, we didn't have to walk far to get to our room which was good because my mum can't walk very well at the moment. The room was spotless as was the bathroom (I always give the bathroom an extra close inspection!!) along the corridor are framed sketches of the buildings original layout from the early 1900's which are interesting to look at as you're walking by. We enjoyed a drink in the impressive lounge area before dinner, the girl on the bar was chatty and made us feel welcome.

We had gone down to the restaurant earlier in the afternoon to book a table, the restaurant manager (I think his name is Mohammed?) booked us in for 7:30. We arrived in the lounge area around 7pm and were given menus by one of the waitresses while we waited, there were plenty of interesting dishes to choose from! Unfortunately I feel the manager lacked that special touch, when he called us through to the restaurant we didn't even get a smile let alone a 'good evening' or 'how are you' (little things can make a big impression!!) he did come over and take our order quickly but he then spent most of the evening standing by the till area looking glum, we got the impression he didn't really want to be there! Can't fault the other staff in the restaurant as they were enthusiastic and impressively described various items on the menu and recommended a desert called Assiette Of Chocolate, which was delicious!
I had the beef burger for main and it was probably one of the best i've tasted! My mum had the pheasant which was presented beautifully. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal, we would have felt much more at ease if the maitredee had occasionally cracked a smile. Why work in customer service if you can't be bothered to interact with people?

We didn't get to make use of the Spa facilities which is a shame as I hear they are very good!
We did however have a lovely day at the sea city museum in Southampton, definitely worth a visit as its only 10-15 minutes by car from the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Mandy852014,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of the hotel and restaurant.

I was delighted to hear that you would recommend staying with us.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Once again thank you again for taking the time to share your review.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I don't tend to write reviews but this hotel interested me.
My wife and I were given this stay as a birthday gift from our sons.
First off check-in was easy and painless, we were directed to our room which was on the second floor of the 'garden wing' which is just a short stroll from the main lounge and bar area. Plenty of tea and coffee facilities and when we asked for more tea it was delivered quickly by a lovely and polite young lady.

Now for the restaurant.. We were seated on time for dinner and given menus by the restaurant manager Mohammed, it was then up to the young waiters to come over and tell us the soup and the chefs special? It was not busy at this time so I felt the manager could have taken a couple of minutes to tell us? Anyway, the food was excellent, I had scallops and my wife had the hare which were both delicious! We both had the lamb for main course which were cooked beautifully.
Now for the slightly negative.. The restaurant manager Mohammed appeared very 'off hand' with his staff. It was actually quite uncomfortable to watch, he was tutting and shaking his head. One table left some money as a service charge for the young waitresses, the manager rushed across the room to collect this money and it appeared to us that he wanted to keep it for himself. I hope it was shared out at the end of the night as we found the staff in the restaurant to be very well mannered and efficient.
All in all we would definitely return to this hotel, the grounds are definitely worth a walk around! We were lucky with the weather so got to enjoy sitting out on the terrace in the afternoon!

• Stayed: March 2014
ChilworthManor, General Manager at Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear PB67dor,

Thank you for your lovely comments and for choosing to spend your birthday treat here with us. I was particularly thankful for your comments relating to our cuisine.

In order to develop our restaurant team we do encourage them to interact with guests and part of this process is for them to inform the diners of our daily specials, any alterations to the menus and soup of the day. Although some of them maybe young they have been with the hotel for a number of years and are very polite and capable, as I’m sure you would agree.

Rightly or wrongly gratuities are taxable and due to this they need to be handled and managed appropriately. In order for all our employees to receive a share the senior person on duty is responsible for the gratuities and pays them into reception at the end of each shift. These are then held by the hotel and paid to the employees through the payroll system. We feel this is the fairest way to manage the system. I can only apologies if it looked to you that the gratuities were not going to the team, I can assure you that every penny (other than the taxable element) goes to the staff. They all work so hard and certainly deserve them.

We hope you will choose to return to the hotel again soon.

BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Nice hotel, conveniently situated for Southampton and the Romsey area. Excellent staff, very good food and very good value. Certainly a lot better than its 3-star rating. This would be a superb venue for a wedding or conference although that was not why we were there!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Amethyst31,

Thank you for such a lovely review and in particular for commenting you feel our quality, setting and value for money deserve more than our current 3-star rating.

We had our AA inspection this week; our inspector had a very comfortable and enjoyable stay. On the back of his inspection we were awarded a Rosette for our cuisine, something we are all very proud of. This makes us the only 3-star hotel in Southampton with a Rosette, a real accomplishment and one that hopeful demonstrates our desire and ability to deliver quality.

I hope you will stay with us again when visiting the local area.

BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chilworth
DoubleTree by Hilton Southampton
Travelodge Eastleigh Central
The Potters Heron
The Potters Heron
#1 of 1 in Ampfield

Been to Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!