“A hotel with character - and the restaurant's pretty good, too”

Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chilworth
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We came here for my PhD graduation dinner and stayed over. We've tried most of the hotels in Southampton, and we didn't find much to choose between them (although the prices seem to vary quite a bit at different times of year!).

Chilworth Manor is really handy for the University and it's in some lovely grounds (the University and the hotel!). There's free WiFi - as is normal for Best Western - and although the rooms are not radically different from the other offerings in town, the restaurant certainly is. Excellent service, delicious, reasonably-priced food and a good choice were the order of the day. The lamb cutlets were mouth-watering.

It all made a special event even more special.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
ChilworthManor, General Manager at Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear 339334,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience of the Hotel; seeing you’re a seasoned reviewer on Tripadvisor I was delighted with your kind comments.

The Manor itself used to be owned by the local University, so quite apt to be celebrating a graduation here.

Your comments will please Chris Keel, our Head Chef of 9 years; he works tirelessly to source the best suppliers and uses his knowledge to create innovative and delicious dishes.

I am pleased you also mentioned our free WIFI, we are fortunate to have a dedicated fibre optic connection at the Hotel so the coverage and download speed are always very good.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor in the near future.

BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor

Write a ReviewReviews (1,464)

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Lovely country house hotel, spacious rooms, leisure facilities, near to New Forest and Southampton.
Wi-fi in all rooms and computer in lobby with printer for guest use.
Very friendly helpful staff.
Good dinner menu but bit pricey , was very enjoyable though,
Function rooms so ask for room away from these if prefer quiet room .
Breakfast good but disappointed uses coffee machine rather than a coffee pot to table .

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room if weekend as function may be noisy
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cynmar44

Dear Cynmar44,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hotel.

I am thrilled to read that our team looked after you and you were able to take advantage of our free WIFI, lobby computer and excellent Health Club facilities during your stay.

With the fantastic weather we have been experiencing of late, it’s great to read you were able to get out about by visiting the city centre and the beautiful New Forest.

I note you comments regarding coffee service at breakfast, this new system has been put in place so we can offer a wider variety to our guests. Everyone now has the choice of latte’s, cappuccinos, espresso, coffee and hot chocolate instead of a pot of filter coffee. For those guests who prefer a pot of coffee we are more than happy to bring this to your table, please just ask one of our restaurant team next time you are staying with us.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Used to stay in this place regularly on business a long while back, when it was (I think) a university-run conference centre, so thought I'd revisit with the family when travelling south to cross the channel. First impressions on seeing the place again were mild surprise at how tatty the place now looks - green-stained brickwork, peeling paintwork, slightly-unkempt grounds. The hotel itself was fine - pleasant, courteous and human staff, decent rooms, stunning setting with the woodland area. Didn't try the restaurant as it seemed eye-wateringly expensive for a fairly mundane menu (£18 burger and chips, anyone?). Unfortunately, the overall impression was that the place was a little tired.
But don't get me wrong - this is still a nice hotel - it just could be a much nicer hotel if Best Western weren't so tight on their maintenance budget.

Dear PaulB1102,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hotel and thank you for returning to see us after so many years.

The Hotel has been under its current ownership since 2001 and during that time the Hotel has benefited from many improvements; bedroom enhancements, refurbished main hall and restaurant and the implementation of new technology including our excellent WIFI system. In addition to these items we were able to invest over £2 million in our Health Club with 16-metre ozone clensed pool, air conditioned gymnasium and spa facilities. The team at the Hotel consider ourselves truly fortunate to work in such beautiful surroundings and I believe our extensive grounds are looking excellent at the moment.

Threw requests from our regular guests we offer a burger in our restaurant from an award winning local butchers. Our Uptons of Bassett Beef Burger with glazed local cheese, toasted bear bap and American mustard mayonnaise is available with chips for £15. It is a very popular dish with our corporate traveller.

We hope to welcome you back to the Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I have only been here for 4 out of my 7 might stay on business and can't fault this hotel.
I am a lone female & don't like eating alone in restaurants or drinking at the bar so I have had room service. Gorgeous food and presentation beautiful.
My room is cleaned to an exceptional standard.
Without doubt I have booked again for another week of work away. Free and easy Internet is a huge bonus.
I cannot comment on the Spa as I work long hours so closed by the time I get back to hotel.
I work with dogs and hotel is in a fantastic location with beautiful grounds to exercise them.
Now for the negatives!!!!!
If I find any I will re post!!

• Stayed: August 2013
ChilworthManor, General Manager at Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear simantia,

Thank you for your lovely review of the Hotel, I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable weeklong stay with us.

We pride ourselves in making all guests feel welcome and cared for, I am pleased we were able to live up to your expectations and offer you great cuisine and free fast WIFI in your spotlessly clean bedroom.

I hope your work will bring you back to the BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor soon, when you will hopefully be able to take advantage of our great Health Club.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

The package we used when staying at this hotel was a 'Park & Cruise'. This was the second time we have used this package at this particular hotel. Both times it has worked excellently, even to the point of retrieving my mobile that had dropped in the ongoing Taxi. Overall the hotel is good value for money. The hotel itself has a very busy conference center attached, and this may put some people off because of the noise and bustle during the day. Otherwise, the hotel is clean, tidy, reasonably maintained (in most places) and the food is above the average bill-of-fare. On this occasion we were upgraded to a 'suite', the room was typical of late Victorian manor house and obviously had pretensions of grandeur but was in fact very tired and the bed was very firm. The only real negative point I will make is that if you have mobility problems, the hotel has no lift to the to the 1st floor rooms also there are numerous small steps were the various extensions have been added on to the main building.

Dear Reggub321,

Thank you for sharing your review of the Hotel and for returning to us for a second time on our Park and Cruise package.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and find our packages good value for money.

With regards to our lifts, in our Main Manor we do not have a lift but for the 69 bedrooms in the Garden Wing we do have a lift going to all floors.

I hope when cruising from Southampton again in the future you will once again choose to stay at the BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

My daughter and I booked two nights away at the Chilworth Manor and were rewarded by a most enjoyable experience. Driving along the entrance drive is spectacular - a roadway through the trees and through the gates to then see the grounds and the manor house is like something out of Downton Abbey.

The main reception areas of the hotel are all Edwardian and most elegant but the modern additions of the bedroom areas and the leisure centre means we had everything we needed. The "star" attraction was the swiming pool area it is one of the cleanest and well planned we have ever visited and the staff on duty (esecially in the afternoons) were friendly and helpful.
We didn't eat in the evenings but the breakfasts were excellent - I partcularly liked the fact that as well as having having the usual sliced bread for toasting there was specaility breads to cut for oneself with the option of toasting or not which ever was preferred. I was also pleased to see preserves in large jars far more eco-friendly than those wasteful little pots.
The extensive grounds are beautiful and well kept and we had the chance to sit on the patio to relax as well as walking alond the numerous pathways. As a bird watcher I was pleased to find the added bonus of the conservation area at the edge of the grounds .

I will certainly recommend Chilworth Manor to my friends and if possible will stay there again myself

Room Tip: Our room was 223 at the south west end of the new block - it was a walk to the edwardian part of th...
1  Thank Kaye K
ChilworthManor, General Manager at Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Kaye K,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent two-night break at the Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and you made good use of our extensive grounds and lovely swimming pool.

Thank you for your kind comments relating to our breakfast selection, our new breakfast offer was launched just over a week ago and we have been received some excellent feedback to date.

We really look forward to welcoming you and your daughter back to BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor again in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I booked this hotel seperate for our visit to Peppa Pig world with our 1 year old, with friends and their two young children (3 and 1yrs). After reading some negative comments on here about this hotel- we were feeling less than enthusiatic about staying here! However, we were plesantly surprised! A warm reception and rooms allocated on the third floor to be away from the wedding and other parties going on in different function rooms. Yes we could hear the dull thud of music however it didn't disturb us too much and our little one certainly slept through anyway which was our main concern. The room was ample size with an extra bed for our daughter. It was her first time in a proper bed of her own- and she loved it. The room was a little humid, however the weather was just that- however we had a fan supplied in the room anyway. Our double bed was spacious and comfortable. There was tea /coffee making facilities, iron and hairdyer and all the mod coms. There was no lift which was a bit disappointing especially being on 3rd floor with lots of child baggage however, this was not a real problem. All the staff we met were accommodating and friendly. The car park was busy however you expect this on a saturday night in July/August with weddings pre booked. we still managed to find a space, there was plenty of additional parking. Breakfast was varied, a good selection. Good highchairs were provided. We were recommended a superb pub for our dinner on the saturday evening. a fab family pub and homecooked food. The Luzborough. Just 10 mins down the road. We didn't fancy having dinner in the hotel- so i can't comment about that. Although access for children to use the pool was very limited- i however did take advantage myself and managed to squeeze in a swim during our stay. Chilworth manor was close to southampton city centre and winchester. which were both qually nice to visit. There was a big Asda Hypermarket 10 mins away. All in all- we would go back in a heart beat when we visit Peppa Pig again.

Room Tip: if you have children ask to be away from the function rooms, we had rooms 341 and 343.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
ChilworthManor, General Manager at Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear Claire t,

Many thanks for sharing your recent review of your two night family break at the Hotel.

I am pleased to read that you and your friends had an enjoyable stay with us.

No Hotel can expect 5 star reviews all the time and that is what is so good about review sites, you get to see peoples personal opinions and then you can take it all into account and chose the best place for your needs. Out of almost 400 reviews we have a rating of 4 out of 5 so I think that tells it’s own story of the service, staff and facilities we offer.

As you mentioned we do operate with restricted pool times for children, but I am pleased that you were able to enjoy a relaxing dip in our pool.

We hope to welcome you and your family back to the BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor again in the future.

Yours sincerely

BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chilworth
DoubleTree by Hilton Southampton
New Place Hotel
#1 of 1 in Shirrell Heath
Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton

Been to Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!