“Great Service”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated in the rural village of Kirby Muxloe, just off the M1 and five miles from Leicester, the Castle Hotel is a beautiful 17th century pub restaurant overlooking Kirby Muxloe Castle. Originally the castles farmhouse, the pub has retained much of its charm, with open fires in winter, candlelight dining in the evening and al fresco dining during the summer months. Stroll among the atmospheric ruins of the moated 15th century castle after a relaxed pub meal at The Castle Hotel We pride ourselves on classic pub food cooked with care. Whether it's hand-battered cod & chips, the gourmet burger, or the ever-popular ‘Brewer's Chicken’, now is the time to rediscover your old favourites. Make sure you try our traditional Sunday roasts with a huge a Yorkshire pudding and unlimited gravy. The team at the Castle Hotel are passionate about our food menu, so you can relax and enjoy our quality dishes and great service at this fantastic venue. It’s the perfect place to dine after a stroll around the stunning grounds of the castle.
Reviewed June 5, 2013

A great pub set in a lovely village. The menu is varied and offers honest "pub grub" dishes, nothing fancy and no gimmicky over-priced specials. The service was excellant, the staff were geniunely welcoming and the pub has a very homely atmosphere and a lovely outside area, perfect for an early evening meal on a summers day. Have no hesitation in recommending to friends and family.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Enjoyed a light lunch Saturday and Sunday roast the next day whilst entertaining family over the bank holiday weekend.
Food excellent as ever and very good service. Thank-you & keep it up.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

The food was good honest “Pub Grub” but not a great selection if you’re vegetarian on the menu. Service maybe slow as the restaurant was understaffed. Try the Crab as a starter very nice

Reviewed April 7, 2013

My sister and I stayed two nights at this hotel and it was truly one of the oddest experiences ever. Firstly, it's very easy to find and just far enough away from everything to be somewhat peaceful.

We were given room 58, which like another reviewer, was horribly situated next to the main stairwell and fire door, so we were treated to every thud and bump each guest offered at all hours of the day and night. Second, the bathroom was just so-so. Very plain and not much room for toiletries, and I can't imagine a disabled person trying to get in and out of that tub - it was at least two/three feet off the ground. And of course there was no handrail to hold onto, just the towel warmer which I'm sure they *don't* want you using to brace yourself. And our window was half the size of the room next to ours, which was unfortunate since it was such beautiful weather.

What was extremely odd and annoying were the interruptions we experienced. We checked in around 8:30 p.m. and the next morning at 8 a.m. housekeeping came and asked if we wanted the room cleaned. Extremely jet-lagged, and seeing as we'd been there less than 12 hours we said thank you, no, and went back to sleep. Thirty minutes later at 8:30 a.m. the same two housekeeping ladies knocked again and asked if we needed towels. Why they couldn't ask this during their first inquiry I don't know. Realizing that we'd probably not get any more sleep at this point, we got up. Right after getting out of the shower about an hour later there was yet another knock at the door, this time a young man identified himself as being staff at the hotel and they were "investigating a leak" downstairs, and wanted to know if I'd just taken a shower. Considering I cracked the door slightly to answer, had wet hair and was covering myself with a towel should have probably told him everything he needed to know, but he just said thanks as he was clearly trying to look into the room and past me. Didn't ask to come in and look at the shower, or anything of the sort. At this point I was really annoyed, because in all my years of traveling I have never been bugged by hotel staff in one stay, let alone in one morning. It seemed as if the staff was just being nosey and looking for excuses to see our room. Also, when we checked out two days later I asked the front desk girl if anything came of the leak and she seemed startled and said "oh, well I hadn't heard anything about that, and they would leave a note for me if something was wrong." At that point it was extremely clear it was "bother the American girls as much as possible" week at the Castle Hotel.

That evening we went downstairs for dinner, and it was extremely poor. There were about 7 tables, 5 of which were eating and two were just having drinks. The waitress ignored us for a solid 10 minutes, instead waiting on the three tables around us but not on us. It took forever to get drinks and when she finally came back to take our food order, that took a long time, as well. I ordered wine that tasted old and funky. My sister had a burger with an egg on it she liked, while I had the lasagna and it was disgusting. It was soupy and undercooked, very disappointing and I took two bites. The waitress asked me if I liked it when she took my plate and I told her I didn't, that it was soupy and not good. She just looked at me and said "oh, okay," and walked away. At any other restaurant that would've been removed from my bill, but not at the Chef and Brewer. The one saving grace of dinner was the chocolate torte for dessert. After the tables around us had all left, we waited and waited for our check but she never brought it, so I just went to the bar and had to ASK to pay.

Overall for the amount we paid for this room ($75/night!) I could've gotten a much better experience elsewhere, and wish I would've gone with my initial thought of booking the Billesley Manor Hotel, but instead we wanted to try the pub/inn combination. I wish we hadn't.

2  Thank Angela B
Reviewed March 29, 2013

A great restaurant set with a back drop of the Kirby Muxloe Castle! The service was fantastic and nothing was too much trouble. Really nice interior and on a cold night was warm and cosy sitting by a roaring open fire. The quality and quantity of the food was exceptional. The childrens meals were well presented and more like a mini adult dish rather than a typical 'kids' meal. Well worth a visit and we look forward to returning in the summer months