“Walking the South Downs - go the extra mile!”
Review of George & Falcon

George & Falcon
Ranked #1 of 1 Warnford B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Walking the South Downs - go the extra mile!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Wife & I stayed one night. Arrived soaked after walking in heavy rain from Winchester and were immediately welcomed. Our room was well appointed, comfortable & warm. Outstanding food, both in the evening and for breakfast. Genuine & friendly. Go the extra mile from the path and stay at the George and Falcon. You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Colin B
dajhill, Owner at George & Falcon, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Many thanks! It was a pleasure to accommodate you. See you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Wolverhampton
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed overnight 3 times. Each time I had a pleasant welcome and was shown my room. Rooms are great - modern , clean , white duvets etc. Great shower.
Food very good in evening. Matt is obviously proud of his food and breakfast with a warm croissant was excellent. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HjayWolverhampton
dajh, Owner at George & Falcon, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments - much appreciated!
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Had a meal here on a Friday evening as family of four with two teenagers. I booked the table (as had come here many years ago and was always packed at weekends). The pub was very welcoming and had been completely refurbished to how it used to be; although quite empty. It appears the other few diners were more likely staying in accommodation at the pub. We all ordered our main courses, but it was more than an hour before they arrived. This wasn't a problem as we were enjoying good conversation, just a little concerning when as I said previously not many diners to cater for.

The mains arrived and they were beautifully presented and very tasty. They averaged between £11 and £15 but I think compared to other places we have visited, they could have had a little more potatoes and veg with them. We decided not to choose a dessert.

The 'something missing' - I think is possibly atmosphere because it was very quiet for a Friday night, although the few staff were very welcoming and attentive. We parked in the back car park and noticed that there is a decking area painted in 'new England' style (I believe where the previous conservatory dining area used to be), with lovely patio furniture and I would imagine on a summer's evening looking over the garden with a glass of wine would be really lovely.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
dajhill, Owner at George & Falcon, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. We do appreciate all guest reviews and take them seriously. I was personally on hand on Friday evening and do recall your table.
The size of our property is deceptive and we did have a large group of diners in the rear restaurant which may have caused a slight delay to service at the time of your visit.
But I am pleased you found the food to be of the high standard we strive to consistantly achieve albeit it takes a little longer as all dishes are freshly prepared.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had a couple of nights there over Easter. This is a family run establishment. Matt the chef loves his food and preparing it for guests. We were looked after all weekend and made to feel at home.

The George & Falcon is great for those just wanting a meal or overnight stays. Its in a quiet village location. It was cold weather so we didn't enjoy sitting out in the garden by the river.

Would recommend for walkers, cyclists, business stop overs or a lazy weekend like us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
dajhill, Owner at George & Falcon, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Many thanks for your kind comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is a lovely pub which we find ourselves going back to time and time again.
We live in Southampton and find this a nice stop on our travels round the countryside. We are always made very welcome,along with the dog and the food is great !
Pleasant,friendly,cosy and welcoming.

Room Tip: We have never stayed here, but the food is very good and the staff are welcoming and friendly.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We are staying at the George and Falcon tonight. The staff have been genuinely helpful and friendly, The rooms are clean. The restaurant is not cheap, but the menu offers local produce and authentic british recipes. The pub and rooms are very nicely presented. Overall we highly recommend the George and Falcon to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I was helping out on a 3 day course in a nearby conference centre, whose accommodation was fully booked when I enquired. The weather in November was around zero and the daily journey from my home was daunting in the dark both ways. To save some pain, I booked one night in the George & Falcon after reading some positive reviews. The pub/restaurant is right on the A32 Meon Valley road (very pretty in the right weather) with a large car park. My reception from the landlady was friendly and helpful. The room was comfortably furnished with an adequate bathroom and shower. I dined out with colleagues, so am unable to comment on the restaurant. As the pub was closed when I returned, I had to use the combination lock on the side door - in the dark. Not easy until I remembered that I could get a little light from my phone! My 7:30 breakfast next morning was excellent and reasonably priced. Service is friendly. Suggestion: put a light on the lock! Overall - good value for £70 B&B (continental) and a good cooked breakast wihout being ripped off.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DavidPNash
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warnford
New Place Hotel
#5 of 13 in Winchester
The Wykeham Arms
The Wykeham Arms
#3 of 13 in Winchester

Been to George & Falcon? Share your experiences!