“Group evening meal”
Review of The Pilgrim Inn

The Pilgrim Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Marchwood B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is a lovely old building with open fires and a homely atmosphere. There is a large car park on the premises so no problems there. We were a group of 13 adults eating on a weekday evening and had booked in advance. It was a little disappointing to find that we were not able to have their Christmas set price menu, as shown on their website, as this would have to have been specifically booked in advance, a fact that we were not made aware of. It also took a little too long before serving our first course. Having said this though, the two waitresses who attended to us were very pleasant and efficient and met any requests that we had.
The food was excellent on the whole, in particular I had the Smoked Haddock kedgeree with a crispy egg which was superb, nice and spicy with a lovely soft yolk in the middle of the egg. I then went on to have the mushroom parpadelle main course, and although I am not a vegetarian I found this to be delicious as well.
The were some comments that the portions were a little small so a side dish may be required as well. Some of us had desserts which were also very good.
I would happily recommend this for small or larger groups, but if the latter it is worth checking with them first if there will be any restrictions on what you order.

Room Tip: This is just a restaurant review and we did not stay at the Inn.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Pilgrim Inn

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed one night. On edge of New Forrest 15 minutes from Southampton University. Near main roads, and the other side of the water to Southampton so much more in the country compared to a Southampton city hotel and a good alternative. It is based on the Pilgrim Inn the pub next door and it is in the pub you have all meals. We arrived mid afternoon and already most of the reservations for an evening meal were booked so I suggest book ahead. Also because the pub is busy we were told to leave our table afar 2 hours and finish our wine and coffee elsewhere in the pub, but as there was no room "elsewhere" we were effectively ejected - not ideal, and I this this was unintended but at 8.30pm they could have made a bit more money out of us as we would have had a few more drinks. Rooms are great, well furnished, basic rather tiny TV but easy to use, nice en suite. One problem was reading in bed as the room too dark and no reading light. We had to turn ourselves round with heads at the bottom of the bed to get the only good light from the ceiling to read. Otherwise it was a superb room and v quiet at night. In the morning I found it a bit limited for a run as you are on a main road and the foot path appeared blocked, would need to ask a bit more detail about local paths etc in advance. Breakfast was OK but help-yourself choice of non-cooked breakfast limited as no muesli, or bran cereal if that is your thing. The cooked options were v good. All in all it is a good place to stay. Loses one star for the ability to relax more than 2 hours in the pub over a meal and pint, and the reading in bed issue. Would stay again but take a reading lamp.

Room Tip: Take a reading lamp!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Let me set the scene, my husband & I, along with our 6 month old baby & our dog had been camping for 4 nights in Dorset. We hadn't had much sleep & decided we needed a little bit of luxury before heading home. I found this hotel on trip advisor & it was so worth it!!

We arrived at around 7:30pm & checked in at the pub by extremely friendly staff. The lady took me to our room & I was shocked by how beautiful & large the room was!

I cannot fault anything about this room, the bed was soft, there was so much room, plenty of hot water, huge choice of tea, coffee & chocolate. Even little box of beaulie chocolates!

Breakfast had a wonderful variety of cooked breakfast plus cereal, pastry's, natural yogurt, juice etc.

Again staff were very friendly & helpful, nothing was too much.

This is defiantly 5 star b&b in my eyes & have no complaints at all, if I am ever in the New Forest again I will 100% be booking in here!

If I were to be extremely picky they could put small fridge & safe into the rooms. But this was the only thing missing & not really necessary.

Thank you for an amazing hotel!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 5, 2013

we had a roast beef dinner,oh my god blood was all over the plate,now if wed asked for extremely rare meat I could understand but come on in a roast dinner!! its not steak!! I took back to be met with rudeness,i even said it quietly so as not to alert other diners but wish I hadn't bothered. that's the way it comes said the landlord. now this was last year and I hope they've improved but that was enough to put me off with his attitude. also hope the kitchen hand has improved,a rather grubby overweight man with his trousers falling down was what we could see from our garden seat! yummy

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We were looking for a boutique style hotel near to Southampton, and The Pilgrim Inn was perfect. The four poster bedroom was lovely and although fronting the road, we didn't experience any noise. We enjoyed a superb evening meal in the pub and the breakfast was extremely good. We will certainly stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2013

On our travels we were looking for that quintessential British pub and found it in the Pilgrim Inn. Thatch roof and white washed walls. This Inn has a great atmosphere and excellent service. The room was well decorated and very clean. The meals were of an excellent standard and the Seafood Chowder was to die for (wish I had got the recipe, if the chef reads this send it through).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Perfect location on edge of the new forest, lovely accommodation one of the most comfy beds I have ever slept in!

Breakfast was delicious and there was a great choice I can recommend the pancakes and blueberries!

We would definitely stay here again when visiting the new forest

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marchwood
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Beaulieu
Novotel Southampton
Novotel Southampton
#10 of 25 in Southampton

Been to The Pilgrim Inn? Share your experiences!