“Amazing local pub”

Hare and Hounds
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Levens
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Village pub with four en suite letting rooms. Owned and run by Becky and Ash Dewar since 2013. Four individual en suite letting rooms. Specialising in local ales and simple fresh food.
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Excellent local pub. The service was a bit slow but made up for in smiles and completely due to the fact that the place was packed. Food was wonderful and servings were massive (I swear the yorkshire pudding was the size of my head). No room for dessert? Share a sticky toffee pudding because it did not disappoint.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We went for a Friday lunch while on hols and were really impressed - the owners are really knowledgable and keen to recommend drinks, the food is delicious and we were made to feel very welcome. The puddings are particularly good too!

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Went with wife and 2 year old for tea as heard they'd started doing food and it was quite good. I had a cheese burger and chips and my wife had a salad. We asked for a child's portion for my little boy. The burgers seem to be chargrilled but were more charred than grilled. They appeared to be home made and would have been nice if they weren't burnt on the outside. Burger held together with skewer and was really tall, chips in little bucket and sauces in little stoppered pots. My wife enjoyed her salad but I wouldn't have the burger again. Little lad didn't touch his, although they did try to make his portion smaller by cutting a burger in half! Staff very accommodating and friendly but chef needs to stop trying to be fancy with the food and just do the basics well. The menu is pretty restricted, but they make their pizzas from scratch and I got the impression the kitchen is very small. I'd give them a chance again but would try a pizza. If they've only recently started doing food they deserve a second chance but it wasn't cheap and the food wasn't great I'm afraid. On the plus side, friendly staff, good range of beer, interesting building and easy to park nearby. I mentioned the burnt burger when I paid and got an apology but no discount!

2  Thank Planetoi
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I called at the Hare & Hounds 10 days ago for a drink one lunchtime. We gave in to temptation and shared a couple of small pizzas, which were SO TASTY! The service was great and we had a a lovely lunch. I couldn't stop thinking about the pizzas for the next few days and so we went back again for dinner and drinks only 5 days later! Again, the food was delicious, the service was excellent and the cider and wine was great. I really hope the young couple who have taken the pub over do very well - they deserve to! It is so nice to go somewhere that is doing things differently and I think the pizzas and burger menu is just brill.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

This recently re-opened pub has improved 100%. They serve local beers and guest beers, all well received. The wine list is excellent but as for food - only pizza or burgers. Very good though and home made with nice salad and chips.