“A good meal”
Review of The Wheatsheaf Inn

The Wheatsheaf Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: For those of you just passing through, The Wheatsheaf has so much on offer for all the family. From great hot drinks, cask ales, wines and great selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages we have something for all taste buds. If you're joining us for a bite to eat you won't be disappointed, we cater for all, from quiet adult dining areas to the larger family fun dining area including our award winning play facility. We have something going on almost every night of the week and we welcome all our Guests with open arms to join in the fun, dine with us, celebrate with us and have a fantastic experience.
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I visted this pub on Wednesday 8/1/14 for the first time I used the 3 course menu 12-5pm @10.99 this menu changers daily and was good value for money Will use again nice inside decor also

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We haven't been to this particular place for a long time as standards had fallen when it had been taken over, we heard yet again the place had changed hands so as the dunham arms were in between moves, to the helsby arms, [ our favourite restaurant ] we decided to give it a go, I ordered the all day breakfast, and my husband ordered toad in the hole, my meal was very large no chance of me finishing it double eggs, sausages, bacon. for an extra £2 I could go large, WHAT, well the whole meal was beautiful, even the sausages were of good quality, and the bacon was beautiful, my husband fully enjoyed his meal too, and said it is a great improvement to how it was before, I recommend this place if you have a really good appetite, or are very hungry, the reason why I didn't give it its full rating is, the disabled toilet wasn't what you call up to standard, but I do recommend this place .

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Went to nearby Dunham Arms but no food on and were told Manager was going to Helsby Arms. It looked like the kitchens were being stripped. (For background) Went to the Wheatsheaf with its big car park and easy access. Relatively empty and only draught beer was John Smiths which I dislike but menu choice looked good and young barman was friendly and attentive so we stayed. We both chose light lunches at the princely sum of £3.99 and were stunned at the high quality of the food, the presentation and service. Both the Ladies and Gents were spotless as was the whole pub and usually reveals what a place is really like. We noted this place has a play barn so will avoid during school holidays. I note some reviews are negative so perhaps we were lucky but on our experience will certainly return.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Went here as been out and went for tea on way home.

Very quiet, Sunday evening 5:30 ish pm. Only couple tables occupied.

Walked in and asked female bar staff member, if we could sit anywhere to be answered with a blunt "yeh!"

Menu quite extensive, a previous reviewer complained about frozen food, it's a national pub chain, and that's what you get in all these type of places.

Hubby had to catch the attention of the above female bar staff at bar, and asked if he could order, as she wasn't very forthcoming.

Waited about 20 mins for the starter, a combo for 2 platter which was tasty and plenty for 3 of us.

The main meals arrived, kids meal arrived with cooked veg instead of crunchy veg sticks we ordered, the waitress took it away to sort.
After she'd replaced and walked away we realised she'd changed cooked veg with salad.
No-one came back as it was so quiet, so we had to wait until a waiter was clearing glasses to ask for veg sticks he said he'd tell waitress.
The original waitress came back and apologised and said they didn't have crunchy veg sticks, she was new so thought salad was crunchy veg, I suppose it is, but wasn't what is on menu, carrot/celery/pepper stick that my son wanted.
She did bring him some sweetcorn which was fine.
If they run out of items it should be informed at time of ordering.

Food was okay, hubby's steak cooked to liking, I had veg lasagne, obv a frozen micro waved type meal, but was okay, garlic bread could have done with more cooking as was bit soft and not that garlicky.

Service could have been more welcoming at the start, waitress that brought our food was friendly.
Had to wait several minutes to pay bill at end as no staff in bar, decided to go toilet, came back and still no staff in bar?

Wacky warehouse at end of pub was un staffed at time of visit, was notice to advise this, although a male staff was in and out tidying and let our son play in there for few mins for free, which was nice.

Probably won't go back, only as we'd been out and were close by at time and service could have been better.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Went to this pub on sat 7th Dec at 18.30hrs. The pub was empty ?Should have left,
I had the worst food for a long time it was cold and made from frozen the service was not up to much.will not be going back