“Mossman Gorge Swimming Hole, Visitor's Centre/Shop/Cafe/Shower & toilet block/Bus Transfer”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mossman Gorge

Mossman Gorge Dreamtime Walk and Low Isles Snorkeling and Sailing Cruise
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

A stunningly beautiful architectural structure housing Mossman Gorge Visitor's Centre, Shop, Cafe, Change Rooms with shower/toilets & Bus Transfer station is what greets the visitor. We purchased the $5 transfer-ticket for the bus that leaves every 15 minutes, then proceeded to enjoy a delicious breakfast from the cafe as we had missed breakkie leaving early from Cairns. The banana-honey smoothie, big breakfast and DELECTABLE banana bread toast was utterly yummy and well worth the $! After that we jumped on the transfer bus and were swished away gently to the edge of the rainforest and a little beyond, following the boardwalk, the most incredible clear-watered, fish-filled swimming hole with mini-rapids to be swept away by if you want to get a thrill...OMG! After a lovely walk through various paths in the glossy growing greenery of the rich rainforest surrounds and a walk over the hand-built suspension bridge over the gorge, we found ourselves looking down at the mini-rapids with local children playing in the water & jumping off the rocks. Many a photo later, my entry into the chill-cool 'fresh' pool had me gasping momentarily, then absolute heaven prevailed as my walk-weary legs were soothed by the crystal clear waters. I swam up the side of the waterhole to where the water rushed over a metre or so drop through huge boulders and launched myself into the center of the rushing water and found myself screeching with delight as I was buoyed up & swept 20-30 metres down the gorge before a gentle current took over and I drifted toward the middle of the pool. Another like-effort saw me drifting along with a grin as big as Alice's Cheshire Cat!!! Do not miss this amazing opportunity to be one with nature and enjoy fresh water swimming at it's best...then go back on the bus to the cafe and enjoy just a bit more banana bread or other yummies that might suit your fancy! This amazingly enjoyable attraction is so much more the better for its caretakers and employees, all local Aborigines who hold control of their own assets - just as it should be!!! Long may you enjoy, care for, conserve and profit from this wonderful asset that you share with fellow Australians and overseas visitors to boot! THANK YOU!

1 Thank Sallyjanehill

Toronto, Canada
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“memorable experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

This easily accessible rainforest was awesome to walk through. Trails are well marked, but the forest was empty of people on the trails which was nice. Dipping into the river and the small ponds was a great way to cool off from the humidity.

Visited March 2013
Newcastle, Australia
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Brilliant Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

The walks through the rainforest were fantastic with a great suspension bridge view of raging torrents of water below you. There was an electric shuttle service to the gorge which was fantastic and the staff were so friendly and helpful. They were 100% aboriginal staff and I believe the complex is owned by the Australian Indigenous Corporation which I think goes under the name of Voyages (same as Uluru). I take my hat off to them for a perfect job and the complex itself was spotless. The entry fee was only $5 and I enjoyed it more than Daintree which including ferry came to nearly $90 for a couple.

Visited May 2013
Melbourne, Australia
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Worth the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Not far out of Port Douglas this attraction is well run culture connection with the local trouble history,Electric shuttle service is provided for a small nominal charged and can be used all day up to and back from the walking track carpark or you can walk up free.Stroll alone good party ways up the gorge. Lovely swimming hole in river a couple of minutes from top drop of point.

New York City, New York
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great hike, beautiful views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

We drove to the parking area and took the eco shuttle to the trail. We did a loop that took us a bit into the rainforest and was about an hour and a half long. We got to the gorge a bit later in the day, and the shuttle stops running at 5:30 so we had to double-time it a bit towards the end, but the rainforest is simply gorgeous, and we had a wonderful time. They had signs along the trail to point out interesting flora. My one suggestion would be if they could also put an indicator of the distance remaining on the trail. We got a bit nervous towards the end when we knew the last shuttle was going to leave and didn't quite know how much more distance we had to cover.