“Great experience”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Island Harbour
Ottawa, Canada
“Great experience”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Our first visit to Anguilla. We stayed for a month at the Arawak Beach Inn. The location of our unit was terrific with a view of the bay, the fishing harbour and the ocean through the entry to the bay. Our octagonal main room had a 'cathedral' ceiling and was furnished with lovely wood furniture: a four poster bed, desk and chair and a large stand-alone wardrobe with drawers, places to hang clothes and a place for the TV. There was a well equipped kitchenette off the main room. The WiFi was very reliable and fast enough for 'video chats' with minimal video stutter.

Maria, the innkeeper, and her daughter Natalie, go out of their way to see that you have everything you need. They are very happy to tell you about Anguilla, where to go to the beach, restaurants, shopping, etc. or help with booking excursions, rentals and so on. They really go out of their way to make your vacation one that you will fondly remember. They did so many things for us that by the end of the month it felt like we had stayed with family.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and intent to return to the Arawak Beach Inn.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HanLyn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Easton
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I never write reviews (unless I have a horrible experience and need to vent), but since I do read them when researching travel, I figured I'd share my wonderful experience at the Awawak Beach Inn. This is not a 5 star or luxury property, but at the prices we paid, that's to be expected. The Arawak is more like a B&B with a relaxed vibe and a ramshackle atmosphere. For what it is, this property, its owners, and the experience delivered an excellent vacation! Also, it was an amazing value in expensive Anguilla!

Since my husband and I are expecting baby #1, we wanted a low key, relaxing vacation, and the Babymoon Package at the Arawak absolutely delivered. I indulged in a 50 minute massage overlooking the ocean, we embarked on a day trip to a private island (an experience I'll never forget!), and many meals were included. Between the inkeeper and the booking agent, all arrangements (from a chartered ferry from St. Maarten, to a taxi to the hotel, and our car rentals) were taken care of. It felt amazing not to worry about planning - especially for a Type A planner like myself. I was pampered from the first contact with everyone I dealt with at the Arawak.

Maria (the innkeeper) and her daughter were charming, welcoming, and attuned to our every need. Sure, we helped ourselves to drinks once in awhile (writing down what we took on a notepad), but we didn't mind. The wifi (extra charge) was fine and worked in our room and in the cafe. Housekeeping left a bit to be desired (our bed was made daily, but garbages were never emptied, towels were only replaced when in the hamper - and not on the floor, and dishes were not washed nor taken back to the cafe). None of these things were enough for us to complain about - but I'm sharing this as an FYI. The Arawak Cafe has a decent menu for breakfast and dinner (we never stayed for lunch) - ranging from pizza (so delicious!) to pastas, fish and chips (my husband's fav!), and salads. The food was fine.

Some tips: rent a car! We were able to drive around the island, visit multiple beaches, and find a perfect place (Da Vida) to watch the sunset while eating tapas. The Arawak Beach Inn is located a 10 minute drive away fro Shoal Bay East - and this was the most stunning beach I've had the pleasure of seeing (with crystal blue water and sand that looks and feels like sugar). We're avid travelers - and even Santorini isn't this beautiful! We stayed in Room #16, which is one of the recently renovated, top-floor rooms. This allowed us to have uninterrupted views of Scilly Cay, Scrub Island, and enjoy the scenery of the island - watching boats and fishermen from our balconies.

All in all, I'd recommend the Arawak Beach Inn to someone looking for a charming, relaxing property. It is not a chain resort, but if you're looking to stay off the beaten path and interact with an owner who really wants you to have a wonderful experience and just to relax, absolutely choose the Arawak. My husband and I have never vacationed to the same place twice (there are just so many places to visit!), but we're already thinking about the next time we can head down to Anguilla - maybe with the baby in tow!

Room Tip: Choose a recently renovated room. We had a premium room (AC, fridge, sink, 2 balconies, top level) a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Melissa M
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

BEST TRIP EVER
I'm going back
The staff made you feel like you were part of the family
Old British Inn
Very clean with recently renovated rooms
Very Very unique
Food was great
Serve your self at the bar
Island Harbor felt like a small unspoiled town

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jo W
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

The proprietor tried to change the rate, she added a service charge for a self serve bar, and even threatened to call the police on a friend of mine who refused to pay for a service that was not even provided. Also the place was not very nice and the food was barely mediocre. Not recommended. There are many places much much better.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Bobby C
MauriceAtArawak, Manager at Arawak Beach Inn, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
This guest stayed with us as part of a group on a prepaid reservation for a single person, but arrived with a second person. As is common at many hotels, and as is shown on our website, double occupancy rates are higher than single. We advised him of the rate adjustment on arrival, and regret that he did not like it. Similarly as is common in the English speaking Caribbean, restaurant and bar charges are subject to a service charge that is distributed to our staff. We add 10%, whereas many hotels add 15%. I am sorry if the guest did not want to leave them a tip, this is fully disclosed on our website, menus and guest check in form.

As for the friend, he left the Inn without checking out or settling his incidentals bill but luckily, the group leader paid it on his behalf. If necessary, we definitely would have had him stopped by the police before he left the Island as one night during his stay we received a call from a local restaurant asking about the same party that had left after a dinner without settling the bill. They did return to the restaurant when questioned, but we learned our lesson.

Travelers are raving about these Island Harbour hotels

SE MA
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My Mom and I visited the last week in May. We rented the last building, think it was #15, from the main building and It was a dream. Great kitchette if you don't feel like going out, nice bathroom and balcony hanging over the harbor wall. it is bliss to sit there in the early AM and watch the harbor activity, birds, fishermen, sun, clouds and water that is unlike anywhere else you've ever gazed upon. Delicious meals and an honor system bar make it hard to leave the property. The only reason I gave a 4 and not 5 rating is the pool was temporarily out of use, something that I am certain was soon to be rectified. Maria is a gem, will help out in any way possible. I am looking forward to a stay again this year.

Room Tip: of the 17 units on the property I recommend the premium units, They are new and have much larger de...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank littlehbrcoh
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Booked a week-long stay here as an affordable alternative to Cap Juluca, the Viceroy and CuisinArt hotels on the west end. It has a casual vibe, a warm innkeeper (Maria), and a cafe with good home cooking. DO NOT expect a luxury experience -- there is no phone in the rooms, the WiFi does not work well ($30 for the duration of your stay) in the common areas, the satellite TV connection can be spotty in the afternoons, and there is no AC -- but a homey stay where they actually CARE that you enjoy the island will be yours. There is a pool with bay views, the suites are BIG, constant sea breezes will keep you cool, and the staff will gladly take you to Shoal Bay (just 5 minutes away) or to the shops, services and ATM machines in the Valley on request. For longer hops, you will need a taxi or rental car. Three good restaurants are within walking distance of the hotel AND two supermarkets. My only complaint is that their NYC-based agent, Monica, emailed and called me several times A DAY to obtain the expiration date of my credit card for a week prior to my arrival. That was just plain weird, stressful and unnecessary. Otherwise, a very pleasant experience all around.

Room Tip: All of them face the bay but the top floor has the best views and most privacy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Phillyjanie
MauriceAtArawak, Manager at Arawak Beach Inn, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
We are glad you enjoyed your stay, but sorry about the inconveniences you experienced. A couple of comments: unfortunately, one of our routers was playing up during your stay, and we were awaiting a replacement from the US. The new one is now up and running and our property wide Wi-Fi is as good as we can get it. For TV, we are dependent on the local cable company and service has not always been reliable. However the business has just been bought by powerhouse multinational Digicel, and they are promising to invest substantially to improve things. As for dear Monica bothering you, I am afraid she was only doing her job as it is our normal policy to request prepayment. A card number without the expiration date doesn’t help us. We hope to see you again soon!
Moran,wy
Reviewed December 19, 2013

If you are a timeshare user don't let this one slip away! If a balcony on the water..,morning sun with complete privacy is of interest to you book unit 15 now! Fully remodeled with a view to die for !!! That being said the host of the resort, Maria and her daughter Natalie were outstanding to say the least !!!
We have been doing this for over 25 years and this is a GEM!!!! Can't wait to go back !!!

• Stayed December 2013
Zemi Beach House, Resort & Spa
Zemi Beach House, Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village
Anguilla Great House Beach Resort
Anguilla Great House Beach Resor...
#9 of 13 in West End Village
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Four Seasons Resort and Residenc...
#4 of 13 in West End Village
Turtle's Nest Beach Resort
Turtle's Nest Beach Resort
#7 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Arawak Beach Inn? Share your experiences!