“Worth the Detour”

280 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 325 helpful votes
“Worth the Detour”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Great scenery and the thrombolites are astounding! These things are 2,000 years old and are descendants of the first life on earth. They are not only responsible for producing the oxygen that promoted early life but are also thought to be responsible for the formation of the iron ore riches that drive WA's economic boom.

Try to time your visit with high tide on a calm day - the view is amazing and if you watch closely you can see oxygen rising from the stone like underwater structures.

Yes! Signage is difficult to locate on the Old Coast Road. But I don't use addresses in the GPS now. I use Google Earth and take eastings and northings of the site and program these into the GPS - never miss!!

Visited November 2013
3 Thank LockStockandTravel

Perth, Australia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Lack of directions-made my trip difficult”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We went to Lake Clifton mainly to see the thrombolites. My GPS was unable to find the location and the small, inconspicuous sign boards on the old coast road, did not help much. However, when I finally managed to reach the thrombolites, I found it was worth the trip. Where in the world can we see the microbial organisms growing like rocks and stones. We went there on 26 Oct, 2013. Surprisingly, we were not troubled by insects or flies. When I took a short walk in the shrubs, I was able to see numerous spiders and their webs, May be they were having a good time catching and trapping all the flies. I did see a wide variety of butterflies and dragonflies.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Tmln2003
Birmingham, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Lake Clifton is an amazing area. The lake and wet land areas are just a beautiful sight and the Thrombolites are an interesting sight. I got a little fed up of the flies on the walk and wished I had some repellent but go prepared and I'm sure you'll love it.

1 Thank Si F
Brisbane, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Thrombolites!!!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

If there's a heaven on earth, then Lake Clifton Thrombolites is the first contender! A must go! Just bear with the bugs & mosquitoes on the way in. But definitely worth it!

Perth, Australia
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Thrombolites - Living Fossils”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were heading south of Perth and after a short stop at Centro Mandurah Shopping Centre, we decided to continue via Mandurah/Old Coast Road. Less than 30 minutes later we stumbled upon Lake Clifton and a sign that said 'Thrombolites'. With our curiosity piqued because we didn't know what Thrombolites are, we turned off at Mount John Road and headed towards the lake (about a 5 minute drive straight ahead). Just after the Cape Bouvard Winery and Brewery there's a small carpark to the right and a toilet block (non flushing). There you have the choice of a 5km round trip walk in the National Park or a 600m return trip along the purpose built boardwalk over the lake (the latter was our choice). The thrombolites are living rocks that sit in shallow water of Lake Clifton's eastern shoreline. The boardwalk was established to protect the Thrombolites and still allow people to view them. The boardwalk also makes it accessible for the mobility impaired and for parents with prams. There is also an opportunity to help Conservationalists and Researchers by taking photographs at particular points and sending them through via email. You can stay there as long as you but we were probably there all up 20 minutes. The walk through the National Park probably needs 1-2 hours. To return to the Highway you can head back up Mount John Road or turn right onto the Clifton Down Roads.

We didn't stop at the Cape Bouvard Winery and Brewery so can't offer any review but from what could be seen from the roadside: there's ample parking and outdoor seating. No kids playground but a small amount of grassed area for a stretch or run around.

5 Thank Livvy7