“the place that changed my life”
Review of El Panchan

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Palenque
El Panchan
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Palenque
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“the place that changed my life”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I am writing this review because i want people to know, true travellers and spiritual people, that this is the most wonderful place i have ever been to in the whole of my life, and i have travelled to many, Brazil, Egypt, Europe, America. I have never seen beauty like it and i long to go back. I am writing this review after 5 years, i miss it so much and El Panchan is in my dreams and my heart forever. Ignore the negative reviews, if anyone was disappointed they maybe should have gone on a Thomson all inclusive. This is for people who aren't shy of nature and want an experience. The energy is amazing and it attracts a diverse and interesting group of people. It is the most peaceful and happy i have ever been in my whole life, I kept walking to Palenque town to change my bus ticket back to Tulum so i could stay longer...i just didn't want to leave! I am planning to return and take my daughter now she is old enough to appreciate such a special and unique place....and as well as the ruins you must visit Misol ha, Agua Clara and Agua Azul nearby....breathtaking...

Room Tip: i opted for a quiet cobana, a short and beautiful walk to the coffee house listening to the Howler m...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank vaNESS76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Belgium
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We wanted to stay in el panchan because we had read these amazing reviews aboutMargarita & Ed's cabanas. Too bad this was not the same. We came in a sketchy room, we almost couldn't open or close the door because the lock didn't work properly.
I know we were in the jungle, but when I want to get a good night's sleep I really don'twant tiny scorpions running up the wall or big crabs in the toilet or dirty sheetswith holes and fungus, mosquito nets with holes in them.
We wanted to get our money back but he told us he wouldn'tgive it back. After complaining a while he gave 200 of the 330 pesos back. Then we went to Margarita & Ed's which was totalky different and almost the same in price. Go there!!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Kelliebu
Table View, South Africa
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Given the beautiful surroundings the hotel, at least the part we stayed in, was a disappointment. The rooms were very basic, not big enough, and came across as tacky. The bathroom was minimalistic with a not great view, instead of the jungle the roof of the next door building. The room had no air-con just a noisy fan. The windows were covered in mosquito wire but had holes in as did most of the room so use sprays. Also one of my companions had 900 pesos stolen from her bag inside of the room, the money was deeply imbedded in the luggage so it was thoroughly searched.

The restaurant was not bad, see separate review. I guess for a one night stay it's tolerable. It does seem that they have more upmarket rooms which is why I did not rate this hotel as poor.

The hotels location is very good, out of town, and next to the entrance to the ruins. I found the characters wandering around rather interesting to watch although I suspect they might scare more civilized people.

I would also caution to check the seasons as it might not be the best location for the rainy one.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Pretty chilled out place, great for checking out palenque ruins. there's actually a few different hostels/cabanas there and when you arrive you can check them all out before paying. We stayed in Jaguar in a little hut. Don't be surprised to find many insects etc in the room but its in the middle of the jungle, it is to be expected. Similarly the noise at night is pretty intense so don't stay here if your a light sleeper. Food at the restaurant is pretty reasonably priced there are two restaurants and beer is cheaper in the second, smaller restaurant behind the main one no food poisoning :-). Its cash only. Travel agency was average prices but you can get cheaper in town. to get to Flores it ranges from 300-400 pesos. We payed 350 at the travel agency. On the same tour our friends payed 300 and 400 respectively for exactly the same one way trip to flores.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a private bathroom 50 extra pesos for nothing
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Yackandandah
Reviewed April 4, 2012

El Panchan is in the jungle. You hear howler monkeys, and other jungle sounds. It is a magical place to stay.

Margaret and Eds is much more up-market than I thought it would be. Some of the cabanas in El Panchan are pretty rustic, but Margaret and Ed's is really very nice - the rooms are well decorated. we had a first floor room with a balcony overlooking the jungle and everything is well screened so you don't have a mozzie problem.

You can't book over the Internet and it fills up very quickly - there were a lot of disappointed travellers when we stayed there. Best advice is to ring them a couple of days before you get there and book a room. You'll be disappointed if you miss out.

If you come to Palenque by bus, jump in a taxi and ask him to take you to El Panchan, Margaret and Eds and he hopefully will take you right there. It's a bit of a labyrinth to get to the right place.

Eating at Don Muchos was absolutely fantastic - we sat for ages after it got dark and talked and ate and listened to the live music.

It's a perfect place to stay for a launch into Palenque ruins and really, that's why you are here. The pyramids at Palenque are pretty popular these days and there were large crowds to get in. But oh so worth it - these were out favourite ruins in all of Mexico.

Room Tip: Make sure you stay at Margaret and Eds at El Panchan - there are a lot of different cabanas there bu...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank guykb
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed March 26, 2012

The staff I found very friendly and helpful, the rooms average and no cause to complain, but you're in the jungle... Howling monkeys woke us at 5am and, time to check your gear. It sounds obvious, but just keep checking your clothing and any camping gear, whilst I do this as a matter of habit after meeting some delicious insect invaders in my things in Australia, my partner had a nasty shock from a scorpion when we were leaving the site!

A member of staff lept in and crushed the offender with a meagre flip-flop and fortunately it was just a little nip. This is a great place to stay, but be aware, the jungle has its caveats.

Room Tip: You're in the jungle... Check your bed sheets, shoes and gear to avoid a fright! Can you pass th...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
Reviewed March 9, 2012

My trips are the most amazing life experience, the secret? Well let the expert do the job ja!, so when I was thinking to visit the Palenque Mayan´s place in Chiapas, I just let my self go for the expert ..The hotel recommendation was El Panchan,
I don’t going to lie on my arrival I just want to run far far away, I always worked at the hotel business industry and I’m kind a picky person and clearly the Panchan was more than Rustic for my taste, I was just thinking the perfect time to say to my guide thanks but this is not gonna a work, Luckily the time never came and I let my self live one of my best experience in my life.
The place is absolutely breathtaking the jungle peace experience with the best fresh food & the ambience and just a minutes from Palenque and Agua Azul tourist attractions’

If you are thinking to visit any Mayan place before 2012 end, this is definitely the place!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends