“Fabulous stay in this amazing jungle hotel.”

Hotel La Aldea del Halach Huinic
Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Palenque
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here a few years ago and it was amazing, so I was suprised to see some bad reviews. I am glad I ignored the bad reviews. This was one of the best experiences I ever had.
Apparently the owners had rented out the hotel (explains bad reviews) but are now managing the hotel again.
The pool is to die for, especially as Palenque is very humid. To take a soak after a days exploring is bliss.
The rooms are beautifully designed, jungle chic. I slept like a log in my air conditioned room. I felt safe and comfortable in my room and throughout the hotel. Rooms and all the grounds are kept immaculately.
Breakfast was incredible, try the 'chillaquilles verdes' or tacos dorados at lunch.
You can get a collectivo (mini van taxi) outside the hotel for 10 pesos to the ruins or in yo town. I also went for a run early morning and it was beyond beautiful.
The staff didn't speak much English but hey you are in Mexico.
If you are looking for a room with 50 channels and room service this is not for you. But if you want a chic, peaceful jungle experience then la aldea has it all.

• Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed June 7, 2014

After traveling hours from San Cristobal and exploring Palenque, it was nice to find a comfortable place to stay. The pool area is perfect to have a cocktail, take a dip and read a book on a lounging chair.

I went there with my family. My little niece enjoyed the pool very much. The restaurant was also very good. We enjoyed spending most of the afternoon at the hotel.

Rooms are clean and very spacious. The A/C worked very well. The only con was that the wireless only worked in the reception area. Not that big of a deal if you're trying to get away from the outside world.

The service was great. I actually misbooked the room and got there a day after my booking. They honored by booking and did not charge me double.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We were With a tour so I don't know what these rooms go for but we had a great two night stay. The room was clean, bright and the bathroom had a great shower. The pool was a little cool for us but we are used to the beach so we may be too demanding. The food in the restaurant was good but the wine was ridiculously expensive. So for the second day, we made sure we stopped at a grocery store. I didn't not hear any complaints about the rooms from anyone on the tour so perhaps the hotel remedied some things that were referred to in other reviews. Internet is available in the lobby - we all had nice decks with hammocks - as I say, a great stay but for the wine prices.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeanne H
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We wanted to get away for a few days and be close to the archeological ruins of Palenque. We were very fortunate to stay at this hotel. It is clean, beautiful and you feel like you are in the jungle. The pool is a place to where you want to spend some time. You could walk to the ruins from here (it is about 3 km). You are close to very good restaurants, including their own restaurant, which is very good for breakfast. It is a great place to visit. At night, you can hear the frogs, hauling monkeys and lots of crickets.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carlos R
Reviewed January 6, 2014

For palenque, this place is nice - it's not the top of the line, but it' peaceful and comfortable. DO NOT GET A MASSAGE from their contracted massage person. It was not only terrible, but extremely creepy!!!!!

Another thing I didn't like was that the restaurant staff was rude. However, this is from the American perspective...if you're an american traveling in southern mexico, restaurants will mostl seem rude to you bc they know that you tip (as opposed to many foreigners) and they expect a tip. So, this restaurant, like many others I experience while I was in chiapas and the yucatan, at the end of the meal, pointed out to me that I can tip if I want to. Then, they hovered over me while I paid. I actually finally had to ask the waiter to leave me alone while I got the money out. my friend who i was traveling with, and who is not american, did not receive the same treatment.

Ironically, even though the pretty much straight out asked for a tip, they were extremely lazy, and the service was extremely bad. I'm talking :
ex 1: ordering pancakes with breakfast, receiving the other parts of the breakfast, finishing and still not getting the pancakes until i asked two more times. they finally came out. then i had to ask for syrup. the waiter went a sat down. i had to ask again. My pancakes were cold by the time he brought out a (still plastic wrapped) plastic bottle of syrup that looked like it came from save-a-lot -- i had to take off the plastic myself. I know syrup isn't collected straight form the trees, but i don't' want to see it in the plastic i bottle and have to open it myself.

ex 2:
after my first cup of coffee, i wanted more, but when i asked, (in spanish) "can I have another please?" the waiter actually said seemed reluctant. I told him that I would pay for the additional cup if i needed to. He brought me another cup, but each cup was the same. I learned that it wasn't even the money...he just didn't want to bring it. every time i asked for something, he seemed annoyed and then went and sat down and talked to the other workers. I had to eventually remind him what I had asked for. eventually, i gave up, and I did not get the amount of coffe i wanted, which is, for me actually really sucky, since I need a lot of coffee in the morning.

Anyway, those are a couple of examples. So, beware that the restaurant service is bad and you'll be asked for a tip. Otherwise, the place is pretty nice for palenque. It felt relaxing.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CortneJai
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

The reservation was quoted as 300 USD with 18% tax. When I arrived at the hotel. They made me pay 300*(1+18%) = 354 USD at an exchange rate of 1 : 13.5. Therefore, I had to pay 4779 pesos. However, the current exchange rate is less than 1:13. I was overcharged!

Moreover, the hotel promised two double beds and a single bed. They only gave me 2 double beds.

Other facts,

The location is extremely inconvenient- it's not walking distance to either the ruin or palenque downtown
The staffs barely speak English!
The walls are thin so you hear everything happening outside.
The windows are huge and un-lockable! Scary for solo travelers!
Staffs lied to me saying that the only way to get around is by taxi while there is colectivo for 10 pesos each way - way cheaper than taxi!

Overall, I had a horrible experience there and am very dissatisfied!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed two nights here. Although the property was occupied with us two and one family we got the worst room with no view. The room seemed to be unfinished. Holes in the walls missing sockets, no Aircondition device. Room was dark and very uncomfortable. No chance to change the room. Staff is not kind at all. Do not eat shrimps or any seafood from the restaurant. Not coming back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple