“The setting and layout make it unique”

Chan-Kah Resort Village
Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Palenque
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, visited the Palenque Archeological zone. After doing some research we decided to skip the town of Palenque all together and book two nights at this out of town resort, conveniently located on the road to the Arch. Zone.

Reception.
we had to wait for a moment, but for the rest the reception was adequate. We received an explanation of opening hours of the restaurant and pool, and how to find our cabin style room. Our luggage was at our room before we arrived.

Setting
The resort is in a wonderful "jungle" setting. It was opened in 1974 or 75 and it has that touch of seventies. The swimming pool has a marvelous "natural" layout, supposedly to look like a natural pool. the garden/jungle is well kept and it's true at night you can hear the howler monkeys. The restaurant is half open (roof only), and offers good view of the pool area.

Room/Cabin.
The detached Cabana had it's own terrace which felt very private, everything made with cobble like stones. The layout was ok bathroom and open closet/luggage store in the front and bed in the rear. The room was quiet dark because not much natural daylight and not much lighting points in the room. the bed was average. The Airco noisy (we put it off at night, which was OK in dry season). Bathroom is ok, however there was a constant sewer odour which was definitely not ok. These cabins win their points mainly on it's unique setting.

Food (twice dinner and twice breakfast)
The restaurant setting was good, the food was not bad, but nothing special either. The staff is nice.

Verdict:
Unique setting and nice staff are the main pro's. it is on the exppensive side

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JeroenV1000

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Hotel Chan Kah (ruins) is nature in all of its splendor. 80% of the Chiapas rain forest has dissapeared. Rejoice in this lovely, naive, seventies style paradise. Skip Palenque village all together. In the mood for a five star French dinner in the middle of the jungle? "La Fuga". What about Italian food on a wooden deck among tree tops, served by lovely Alessandra? Monte Verde. Dinner in a huge air conditioned palapa? Villa Mercedes Hotel. Sleep close to Nature, in all of its splendor, a few min away from the most spectacular of Maya ruins of Mexico? Hotel Chan Kah.

I hope some day they replace bed spreads and curtains for natural fabrics, being Chiapas famous for its textiles...who needs polyester?

Room Tip: All are great! Greater, the ones next to the river.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CarmenGomezMontAvalo
Reviewed March 4, 2013

What follows is an excerpt from my journal. I was tired after a month of travelling and I needed a couple of days of peace in pleasant quiet. Chan Kah was expensive, even at off season rates - too expensive, I think, but worth it for me at the time. The downside is that although it is on the way to the ruins you will still have to call a taxi to get there. They are still quite a way. You will also need transport to go to the shops etc unless you have a car. i didn't eat there, so I can't comment on that. It advertises itself as the most beautiful hotel of Mexico, which is going a bit far!

Tuesday 19th

I slept for thirteen hours and even then couldn't move a muscle for an hour.. The bed and I formed one solid immovable piece. I had ro slowly encourage movement, starting with a wiggling toe.

That was my second awakening; the first was before dawn when I was woken by the call of the howler monkeys. Loudest land animal apparently, and they don't howl; they growl like lions They start with something that sounds like a snore or a pig grunting ; this develops into a growl which gets progressively fiercer and they finish off with a creaking gate groan and an eerie sigh or a bark. Then they start all over again.there are lots of them all at a different place in the cycle. it's. bit unnerving in the middle of the night, even though I knew what I was hearing. at first I thought I was home in my own bed listening to my beloved snore!

I have had a perfectly peaceful day. I sunbathed by the pool for a couple of hours this morning, under the coconut palms. Little birds flit about under the palm leaves and make a noise like a squeaky dog toy. There were big butter yellow butterflies and yellow and black ones and something crashing about in the broad leafed trees making a racket and causing the branches bend , which puzzled me for ages. i thought it must be some kind of bird. It was a group of iguanas, munching leaves. I didn't know iguanas climbed trees and I didn't know they ate leaves. The first ones I saw were quite small, but then a huge orange spiky one came lumbering along. The leaves are big, but the branches are spindly; they barely took his weight. As the sun grew hotter they all stopped moving and you wouldn't have known they were there.

I have a little cabin all to myself beside and a terrace overlooking over the pool. it is so nice to just stop. I spent some time planning the next stage of the journey.

Later
I went for a walk in the jungle gardens just before sunset and it was dark by the time I came back. all the. Lights were on in the restaurant and reflecting in the pool. I saw a flock of small white birds and some agouti and a mexican milk snake which is small and has red and black stripes. I just looked it up. it isn't poisonous.

That about gives the flavour of it.

Room Tip: I had cabin 7 nearest the restaurant because when I asked the receptionist told me that wifi works...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank mylene O
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Quite a different experience to awake surrounded by jungle to the sound of howler monkeys and macaws in the trees and walk to breakfast with agouti and lizards scuttering across the path. Spacious casitas among the trees with large verandah, loads of storage space and all mod cons.(Just call reception if you have no remote cotrol for TV or aircon. They seem to collect them up at every changeover of guests.)

Despite their saying that wifi was only available in public areas it was in fact accessible from the verandah of our casita- one of the furthest away from the centre of the complex. Lovely pool and poolside terrace. Nowhere else around to eat but that is no problem; food in restaurant , though a little pricey. was good. Would love to stay again

1  Thank chesterbuff
Reviewed February 20, 2013

which did not damper our mood.I was very excited to stay in the forest.Due to the rain, we experienced few mosquitoes, but that the jungle right ?
The casita is very well organized, so that when you come in, there is the sink and the location for the lauggage and rods to hang your clothes.Needless to say, due to high humidity, everything you touch is damp.but, C'est la vie The bedroom is quite adequate.We had a room with 2 beds overlooking the creek which runs through the property. Lovely. We did not use the porch because of , right, mosquitoes. But it is there to enjoy. Very atmosphric place.
The closeness to the ruins makes it a good choice.
We stayed 2 nights, since we wanted to experience a full day at the ruins.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank monvan
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We needed a nice and comfortable place to stay in Palenque as my partner was not feeling well and needed to rest. We booked a standard casita in Chan-Kah and we were pleasently surprised - the casita was big and spacious, with separate clothing and washig area, and with mosquito screens in the windows which allowed us to keep windows open ( although there were not many mosquitos in Palenque in general), it had a nice big patio with rocking chairs from which you could see a lot of green and an odd animal walking around ( birds, small dear- like mammals), it was very quiet and relaxing just to sit there, we could hear the howler monkeys in the evening and at night - I found it cool, however for some people it can be annoying as they are very loud, it makes you feel like you are in the jungle. The hotel pool looked beautiful but as it was January it was too cold to use it- I would definitely check it out if it was warmer. The food in the restaurant was average but the service was very friendly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aga W
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed for one day/night having been rained out of Palenque. Our room (casita) was spacious and thoughtfully arranged with regard to clothing and luggage storage. We had a lovely veranda with rocking chairs which overlooked a stream. The main advantage of this place is its nearness to Palenque's ruins. The grounds appear to be beautiful, but, alas, we did not explore due to torrential downpour all day and night. That said, the restaurant food is quite mediocre and overpriced. A waiter argued with me when I wanted to remove some uneaten bread from the table to take back to my room, telling me that the bread was for the table only and he would get in trouble. Very, very weird and very, very offputting. The bedding and bath linens in our casita needed jserious updating. Things were quite worn and faded. Our unit had two double beds, both of which were hard to sleep on. This place will do in a pinch, but maybe you can do better if you do a little research.

1  Thank Maralina